Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Carbon forks on pompinos – who's done it? Brakes?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Going to blingify the pomp.

If I put a set of carbon PX forks on the front, im going to need to replace the nice Tektro CR720 cantis with a front caliper arent I?

If I do that can I continue to use the tektro drop levers I have or will the cable pull be wrong?

If I upgrade the drop levers to some Cane Creek SCR5 say (road pull levers apparently), will my rear cantis be unuseable or passably OK?

samuri
    Free Member

Did you not believe me? 😉

AFAIK, the pull will be the same for a pair of canti levers as it will for road levers. The SCR5’s are excellent levers though and very beautiful, if you’re blinging things up then I reckon they’d do the caliper and canti’s fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

did you reply? I cant see your blog behind this firewall!
    if you did, thanks for taking the time!

Thanks for that then. Im going to go for PX forks, a nice caliper up front (Pity PX only sell their ultralights in pairs 🙁 ), and def those SCR5s they look lovely on your white pomp.

fourbanger
    Free Member

For the back you could think about Tektro 926AL Mini-V Brake’s which will also work off road levers. I think they look slicker than cantis and have a bit more power.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers fb – dont ‘spose theyre available as singles are they?

epicyclo

Why not a set of Trigon forks from eBay? Then you can use your existing brakes.

Got a set on my Pompino and they work well.

Stoner
    Free Member

was thinking something like that originally, but 520g vs 370g and can you get them for less than the £100 PX want?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Avid BB5 and you can keep your levers – same as road and canti pull.

TBH if you ever ride in the wet then once you’ve got a disc on it I doubt you’d go back.

Edit best £ per weight loss is the Massimi (sp) alloy mtb forks £40 odd on fleabay won’t look so good though…

Stoner
    Free Member

if you ever ride in the wet then

specification error.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀 you got white slick tyres on it then? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

and anyway, ive got some nice wheels Ive already built up on o-o track hubs. No need for discs for me. the pomp is the road blat bike.

And when I toured, laden, on it I only had crappy O-O cantis but still managed not to die, so I’ll park the BB5/7 thing until I make a monstercross out of my spare scandal frame.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive got some sort of bald 23mm things on there at the moment on open sports.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough, but for me it was one of those upgrades you knew you’d like but didn’t need, and would never go back.

I take it those PX forks are canti only?

rOcKeTdOg

liking the belt drive on that Pomp

Stoner
    Free Member

the PX carbon are caliper only.

Stoner
    Free Member

liking the belt drive on that Pomp

Damn firewall! I want to see, mummy!

cynic-al
    Free Member

link to the PX forks pls?

I can see only Uncle John and Van Nic ones…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah I thought you were on about disc calipers…

Bear in mind those forks are shorter.

Also that you can get a Chinese 390gm fork for £50 odd on ebay and they look OK.

samuri
    Free Member

Another thing I mentioned on my blog, is depending on what wheel/tyre you have in there. You may need a long reach caliper although I guess if it’s just a standard road wheel and tyre you’ll be fine. Some of these fancy carbon forks need a longer fixing nut on the back of the caliper too.

Stoner
    Free Member

was also considering chinesey but VAT, carbon anti dumping duty and handling would bring delivered price up very quickly if it was caught. For £50 Im not that bothered.

If I was making a gamble on the frame/for/post/bars sets for £350 Id be more tempted.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers samuri. Will double check bolt length needed w PX before I press buy.

rim position should be fine, open sports.

cynic-al
    Free Member

deep drop caliper depends on fork and nothing else – forks “should” come with longer nut if it’s neeeded IMO.

Good heads up on those duties Stoner, any idea how much they add up to?

EDIT if you are spending this much to get an (IMO) mis-matched bike (heavy cx frame and light road fork), why not invest in a lighter frameset?

Stoner
    Free Member

A bit more here about anti dumping.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-carbon-29er-1

Its questionable whether it would apply to the forks, but even at £50 + Duty (4.7%) = £52.50 + VAT (20%) = £63.

For £37, Id rather PX got the order TBH. Its not enough to make my wallet itch.

But £310 + £80 duty etc for this lot OTOH….
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Road-Bike-Frame-58cm-Seatpost-Handlebar-Fork-/360350993054?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item53e697ca9e

Id be sorely tempted.

However PX are doing pro carbon F&F for £400. Need to allow another £100+ for the post and bars too…

Stoner
    Free Member

I find the pomp very comfy and have made some nice wheels for it (120mm rear) so decided to tidy up the pomp, rather than add another (9th?) bike to the fleet that I wouldnt use that much.

samuri
    Free Member

deep drop caliper depends on fork and nothing else – forks “should” come with longer nut if it’s neeeded IMO.

The size of the wheel has an equally important bearing on where the pads are needed and I’ve had two carbon forks that needed the longer nuts and didn’t come with them. Nothing wrong with alerting Stoner to the possibility of these issues though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Carbon forks on pompinos – who's done it? Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.