Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carbon forks 29er lengths.
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Hi all,

Can someone kindly help ease my confusion.

Have just got an Inbred 29er frame and plan to go rigid up front.
    On one have the geometry as a sagged 80mm 470mm length and slacker at 100mm so I’d assume 490mm length.

Looking on carboncycles and for the 29er forks we have a 46.5 and a 49cm yet both say corrected for 80 & 100mm.
    Is this likely badly done descriptions or am I missing something?
    I’m thinking the 46.5 = 80mm corrected and the 49 = 100mm corrected.
    Also has anyone any experience with a 15mm axle rigid vs standard qr? Worth it or not?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m thinking that your thinking is correct!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Haha. So we are either both right or both wrong then!

I guess a further question is has anyone got experience of either length on an Inbred and how was it?

STATO
    Free Member

A 100mm 29er fork is typically around 510mm. So 490 is 20mm sag.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers. Now then do I want 80mm effective and quicker steering and better climbing or 100mm effective and slightly slower response and slightly ‘better’ going down? Would I even notice?!

Can’t find much thoughts on 15mm vs qr rigid forks. Resume the 15mm will be better in corners etc but again would it really be noticeable?

More pondering.

STATO
    Free Member

72 degree head angle with the 470mm fork, so id very much want a 490mm fork! 😆

Andy

For an inbred I would look at a 470mm fork with an offset of 55mm. Something like the Singular Swift fork in Carbon if you could find one

Yak

For an inbred 29er, the 465mm a-c is spot on. I ran the 465mm qr exotic for years on an inbred and always thought it a perfect match.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Hmm cheers for the input people. Food for thought. See I was thinking 490mm because slacker and less twitchy and because the last bike I had (I’ve had an 18month period of nothing after losing heart) was 150mm slack ass full suss but I want to go back to where I started several years back and am at a bit of a loss!

STATO
    Free Member

While i said 490 above, it’ll still be pretty steep with that so a shorter fork will be fine as others have said. With the advantage that it will keep the BB as low as possible as its already pretty high.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yeah I think I’ll just go with the 465/470 tbh. I know it’s never going to descend like the Mega did but then I’m not after that. I just want a nice SS to get back out and play on the trails and get the buzz and love back that I lost and the one bike I regret getting rid of was my old SS so hopefully it’ll do the trick…just need to stop over analysing everything!

Andy

Like I said try and find a fork with a bigger offset. The Swift fork is actually more comfortable than most carbon forks and I wouldnt be put off by the extra weight of a steel fork, on a pretty heavy frame.

Yak

I’ve ridden both the swift and exotic. The swift filters out small bumps really well. The exotic is the opposite and feels fairly firm, but is better at taking the sting out of big hits.

The swift is the more comfortable of the 2 most of the time, but really this is all small margins. A big front tyre has a bigger difference.

Andy

A big front tyre has a bigger difference.

Yep – very true

RDL-82
    Free Member

Already got wheels and tyres. The whole excuse to build again was the fact I had some 29er wheels under the stairs!

Front tyre is a 2.3 purgatory so relatively big (imo).

I’ll look at some other options. I used to have an exotic on the old 26″ SS so kinda just went straight on there to look. Weight never been an issue. More bothered about being out again now and I always enjoyed singlespeed so it just feels right to go back to it at this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carbon forks 29er lengths.’ is closed to new replies.