Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Carbon fork users
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

am thinking of upgrading to either carbon or suss forks for my 29er ss. Riding is old school and trail centres.

Given that I found rigid steel forks too much (namby pamby comments welcome) are carbon forks worth trying or should I just go for suss? Perhaps a better question is: if there os a 1-10 scale on which rigid steel forks are zero and 80mm suss forks are 10, what would carbon forks be? I am guessing 3-4?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Closer to 1 or 2.MTFU or just stay the hell away from trail centres.

grumm
    Free Member

What's 'old school'? A new niche?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The trail centres are generally smoother than the old school stuff (which is the same as vieille ecole)

MTFU? Purlease! You are riding with solid tyres I take it?

Stoner
    Free Member

I run O-O rigids on my 29er for most of the time on local XC trails (with fat front tyre). For trips to the trail centres I change them for 120mm bolt thru Rebas. I wouldnt enjoy trail centres on the rigids as much as the 120mm – it would be a bit to hairshirt to ride them.

samuri
    Free Member

nah, I think you're right with your first guess. 3-4 is about right for a good set of carbon forks. There's no suspension benefit as such but they certainly take a big part of the 'zing' off the trail which is the real objective of short travel forks IMO. Depends on your experience of steel forks I guess. P2's would be 0, normal bent steel forks would be 1 or 2.

epicsteve
    Free Member

On my Inbred I've used both steel and carbon rigids and also suspension forks. If you're mostly riding off-road then the suspension forks will be much, much better – however I do find the carbon forks noticeably more forgiving than steel forks. I'd probably still agree with the poster above that it'd be about a 2 on your scale though.

My Inbred is a sort of general purpose hack these days so for that purpose I find that the carbon rigids suit best. I ride it off-road a fair bit, but mainly on reasonably tame stuff. I'd be happy enough to ride it somewhere like Glentress with the carbon (or steel for that matter) rigids fitted but it'll be less fun and a lot slower than with a decent suspension fork fitted.

druidh
    Free Member

Pity it's for a 29er Al – you could have borrowed my Pace forks for a few rides (steerer length and rider weight permitting).

On your sliding scale, I'd reckon about a 2 or a 3.

DickBarton

I'm riding Superstar Carbons on my Pace along with some carbon bars – feels very comfy, not comfy over rough stuff but the constant buzz you get on rigid forks is definitely toned down.

Personally I'd say they were 2-3 on your scale.

Saying that, I'm also rather amazed at how much twang the forks have – when you fire on the front brake you can see the fork legs twitching like mad.

Seem comfy enough…no issues with carbon rigid forks, but why go 29"? 😉

ski
    Free Member

Saying that, I'm also rather amazed at how much twang the forks have – when you fire on the front brake you can see the fork legs twitching like mad.

My first thoughts were when I first spotted this happiining to me was, this is going to end in tears 😉

Brings a new meaning to rigid.

fisha
    Free Member

I'd say about 1 to 2 on the scale. In terms of travel up and down, there simply is basically none. Instead, they twitch front to rear, along the line of the ground. As already said, it takes the buzz out of the bumps and small stones, but anything more than that, you'll feel it.

Coming from steel rigids as you already have, you'll feel a slight difference, but not much beyond that.

… they do look cool though

clubber
    Free Member

I'd agree with 1-2. Carbon forks are nothing like having suspension, even 80mm's worth, they just VERY slightly round off the bumps compared to most steel forks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. Sounds like I need suss.

I tried some IRD ti forks back in the day. In hindsight, they were ****.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I started popping on my O-O 26ers for road/sustrans riding, then swapping back to my 115mm Rebas for more gnarly riding. Recently I've just been leaving the carbons on as I find the riding much more fun; as above: light, responsive, reliable, cool.

I would like some RC31s, maybe next year…

grumm
    Free Member

more gnarly riding.

What would you say the lever of gnar is on the stuff that you ride with carbon forks? 😛

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

The last big ride was Ben Lomond suspended, but I'd happily tackle it now with rigid carbons. I find big mountain gnarly easier to ride than trail centre gnarly.

takisawa2

RC31's flex a bit more than On-One carbons. Quite un-nerving when you see how much they flex under hard braking. Your riding style would adapt to them anyway. Plug some non O/S carbon bars into a decent stem & I reckon your sorted. If I could afford it I'd have a decent carbon forked rigid SS on the go again.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Your riding style would adapt to them anyway

Agreed. Now I'm back on my hardtail (after 6 months on a fugly geared full suss) I'm carefully picking the smoothest, most efficient line, rather than just bashing through. As a result I find I'm faster and less demanding on the whole bike.

Some people like bashing, I like picking 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I had 2 bikes for years, 1 full suss, 1 rigid carbon forked, I got a hold of some decent sus forks and thought I would pop em on the rigid bike see what this hardtail lark was all about…. I sold the RC31's the next week, they are good, better than steel rigid jump forks I had before them, but its not as good as sus forks, lovely and light and you can still do everything, but for offroad, sus wins in my book and now makes it a tougher choice for 1 bike to do it all questions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As a result I find I'm faster and less demanding on the whole bike.

Faster? Really? Not just feeling faster? You weren't riding your susser properly if not.

it a tougher choice for 1 bike to do it all questions.

You need a road bike!

AB
    Free Member

I like the idea of a rigid fork, but I don't think I'm man enough for it.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Faster? Really? Not just feeling faster? You weren't riding your susser properly if not.

Yes, it made me lazy and I picked rough lines.

My SS Explosif is 2/3s the weight and hasn't given me one mechanical in 6 months (including a solo 24 at the weekend). So on balance, both in terms of riding speed and an all-day average, I'm faster 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I did buy a road bike, £5 from the tip, I always think its best to pay a bit extra for a good one, my nephew rides it now.

I flipping hate riding on the road, the area I live in isnt very nice for road riding, though there are always hunderds out.

I guess I meant its a tougher choice for 1 MTB to do it all questions.

Still my opinion if your going to ride it offroad sus forks is the way to go, I love the look of A rigid bike, I love the feel of rigid bikes, I love the way there isnt any compression going into corners, I love the singletrack directness they give and the weight saving, but if your riding it then 80mm travel isnt a lot but will make it much more of an MTB. I personally went from the RC31 to 125mm travel and promtly sold the carbon forks on, maybe the 80mm your considering isnt such a vast difference in feel on the bike.

I have to say lot of my change of heart was due to how low the rigid forks felt on the front for most of the time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My SS Explosif is 2/3s the weight and hasn't given me one mechanical in 6 months (including a solo 24 at the weekend). So on balance, both in terms of riding speed and an all-day average, I'm faster

Why willy-wave? You should have spent the time maintaining your susser 😛

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Well, you did ask!

Why don't you try it for yourself? What is the 29er?

Rorschach
    Free Member

For all the natural riding I do Nwales,Mid wales,Peaks the Onone carbons are fine and I would'nt want sus.Trail centres usually involve higher speed dh's and rough (not rocky) surfaces that are impossible to find smooth lines down-and just are'nt meant foe rigid ss bikes.So I avoid them like the plague.However, Im starting to get into the solo enduro thing a bit and by god my wrists ache after 10 hours riding so I may well relent and stick some boing up front .But **** me sideways them ain't cheap.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm carefully picking the smoothest, most efficient line

'the smoothest, most efficient line' 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

leelovesbikestoo – Member

Well, you did ask!

Why don't you try it for yourself? What is the 29er?

Currently a Unit, got a Rig coming off the flea.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Grumm – you got me. I am partial to a bit of darkside 😯

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Carbon fork users’ is closed to new replies.