Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • carbon bung help required
  • karnali
    Free Member

ok so lowering the front end of the roadbike for the tri tomorrow, lower bars arrange spacer tighten up and nothing happens, lookinside headtube and od some measuring and the bolt will not rea the thread inside. Do these things slip easily?

re they easy to fish out or hammer back up the steer tube fromt he bottom? or i am best to cut down the steerer to get the bolt to fit, i need to take some off anyway but was going to do it in short sections rather thanne big hit.

Also will a pipe cutter cut through the carbon?

any help gratefully recieved as the other option will be the tricross single for tomorrow

cheers

lookmanohands
    Free Member

The carbon bung that is on the forks is instead of the star nut, which is a no no with carbon steeerers, you should be able to tighten the bung back up normally it’s a 6 or 8 mm Allen key to tighten. All that does is expand the bung just enough to bind on the inside of the steerer tube, then refit the top cap and voilà job done. These bungs are normally pretty crap though. Only cut carbon steerers with a hacksaw, the higher the tpi ( teeth per inch) the better min 24tpi. Enjoy

lookmanohands
    Free Member

The bung should come out and go in at the top of the steerer

oldgit
    Free Member

IIRC the bung tightens up on it’s own. It doesn’t rely on the top cap bolt to expand it like a Hed Doctor or Hope.
    Can’t believe I don’t know that for certain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Use a longer bolt?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘carbon bung help required’ is closed to new replies.