Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Carbon bottle cages
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My poxy Specialized one has died – the “tabs” that hold the bottle in have snapped off so the bottle just falls through it.

Currently using my plastic “Rib Cage” but it looks gay (bright red and naff looking).

Any recommendations for bottle cages that don’t break but also don’t cost four billion quid?

Zefal one looks okay – any good?

mattp
    Free Member

i use a cheap as chips £2 specialized aluminium one and never had any issues over the last couple of yrs. i had one of the carbon spesh ones and it, like yours, died. didn’t really see the point in a replacement carbon cage as there was so little weight difference for the extra money….

njee20
    Free Member

Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon ones are good. I used to use Tacx Taos, the carbon ones are very nice, but mine broke after a couple of years and they’re not cheap. The alu ones look alright though.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers njee – will look them up.

Mine’s lasted just over a year so can’t return it. Dammit.

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager_side_entry_cage.html

Never drops the bottle (I’ve been down descents on race courses strewn with bottles and mine’s not budged!), full-sus compatible. Won’t break.

They do a carbon one too if you think its worth £28 to save 40g.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Njee – seem to be a couple of different types.

Is this the one you mean?
    X Lite

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one I use, also never dropped a bottle (but never really had that problem with any cage I must say!).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Taxc Taos aluminium ones are utter bobbins an an mtb, the bracket construction is very weak, OK for road bikes though.

Rip
    Free Member

If it’s carbon you want, the Planet X ones are really excellent and reasonably priced. Around £28 though they often do a 2 for 1.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If it’s carbon you want, the Planet X ones are really excellent and reasonably priced. Around £28 though they often do a 2 for 1.

But they have quite sharp edges and gouge great chunks out of the water bottles.

poppa
    Free Member

I use a Ti one from Wiggle for the road bike. The colour probably doesn’t match that many bikes tho.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Bonty X Lites are great. £20 delivered on ebay. I have a Merida one that came with the bike and I have no marks on my bottle. Brilliant

adam_h
    Free Member

I got an ebay special (from the UK) for about £14 delivered, has survived well so far after about 6 months use.

bazzer
    Free Member

Do bottles stay in cages when you ride ?

When I have used cages the bottles always seem to head for the undergrowth.

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Bazzer – yep. In fact with the plastic Rib cage, it’s really hard to get the bottle out!

Cheers for the ideas all – very handy!

jonb
    Free Member

I use some elite plastic ones. NEarly as light as carbon, look ok and are tougher.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just bought an x-lite off teabay for £21 (from overseas) – cheers all!

cheers_drive

What is the point in carbon bottles cages? Save 40g to then put in 800g of full water bottle seams a bit pointless. Then again I suppose you could say that about most light bike parts.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wasn’t impressed with planet x ones, lasted less than 5000 miles before the bottom tab broke. Pbkones are lasting well though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bottle cages’ is closed to new replies.