Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon bars – how often to replace?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

Been on the bike for four years now, us the time right?

radoggair
    Free Member

when do you replace other products on your bike like stem, seatpost, headset. Carbon (IMO) should last the same amount of time as alu, steel etc so unless they've cracked, snapped then there's no need to replace the,

Oh, and the McClaren f1 is 20 years old and i dont recall any frames being replaced because of 'its time is it'

mboy
    Free Member

Their fatigue life should be as good as, if not quite a bit better than, a decent set of ally bars. So I'd not worry about it if you've just been riding around on them.

I'd only worry about Carbon bars if you've ever had a crash on the bike with them on, that could have put undue shocks through the bars. Ally bars bend, carbon ones don't, they crack, and it won't necessarily be obvious!

Macavity
    Free Member

Most plastics suffer from UV light damage over time.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

At least once a week, so you've got the current width and sweep as dictated by MBUK.

haddock
    Free Member

😆 @tree magnet, was just thiking that!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'd only worry about Carbon bars if you've ever had a crash on the bike

😯 Is there anybody out there who does more than just forest tracks who doesn't crash from time to time?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Easton warranty on ally bars, 5 years.
    Easton warranty on carbon bars, life.

Always been a sceptic of carbon bars (from horrific reviews way back in the day) but have finally got some after realising everyone I know with them keeps not snapping them.

I'll keep riding mine til a huge crash or big/deep scratch/gouge (poor notch sensitivity).

zaskar
    Free Member

Thats why I go tfed up of carbon parts and bought AM alloy parts -ride more without worrying about the carbon bars etc.

My carbon bars are 2 yrs old, the seatpost creaks…probably as I am big bloke 100kg…

I'm changing that for alloy, if it starts to creak then be careful or replace.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Carbon bars – how often to replace?

Once.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Has anyone seen that little demonstration on Eastons website about carbon bars and their impact resistance, convinced me… 🙂

Trying to find it though, and struggling

tree-magnet
    Free Member

zaskar – Member
    Thats why I go tfed up of carbon parts and bought AM alloy parts -ride more without worrying about the carbon bars etc.

My carbon bars are 2 yrs old, the seatpost creaks…probably as I am big bloke 100kg…

I'm changing that for alloy, if it starts to creak then be careful or replace.

I quoted Peter Denk a while ago, but it's relevant again. When desiging the Ransom he said something along the lines of: "If a rider snaps a carbon frame, he thinks he should have bought carbon. When he snaps an alu frame, he thinks maybe he was riding too hard"

Northwind

zaskar – Member

"Thats why I go tfed up of carbon parts and bought AM alloy parts -ride more without worrying about the carbon bars etc."

Fair play, but the problem here isn't the carbon parts, it's you worrying about them. Nothing wrong with going alloy (or whatever other material) if it gives you peace of mind, it's just not all that rational.

The comparison I quite like is that hte Easton Monkeylite DH bar weighs less than most XC aluminium bars, yet is stronger than most DH aluminium bars.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars – how often to replace?’ is closed to new replies.