Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carbon assembly paste. First timer carbon frame build.
  • Poopscoop

Got my first (second hand) carbon frame arriving next week.

Can anyone recommend me a good carbon assembly paste for the build up please?

Also, the claims that required torque settings can be reduced by using the paste…

I see the pro’s to that but it is also a bit worrying. Lol

Surely I just do the parts up to correct torque irrespective of the paste?

I do own a torque wrench by the way. 😉

Thanks as always guys!

sockpuppet

I have a tube of the finish line stuff, seems fine. What ever you get will likely last years!

And yes, stick to the stated settings IMO, paste just makes the parts less likely to slip at the (often low) values.

Poopscoop

Thanks sockp.

That confirms what I suspected.

Will look for some on Amazon or crc.

Does the paste “set” as such or stay as a paste once applied out of curiosity?

slowster
    Free Member

Does the paste “set” as such or stay as a paste once applied out of curiosity?

It is essentially a grease type product with tiny particles of plastic added which give it a gritty texture and increase the friction between surfaces.

That said, are you sure you need it? If all that you are going to use it on is the seatpost in the seat tube, you could check first whether there will be an adequate friction fit without carbon paste, before spending your money on the paste.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d use the paste. Its use is pretty widespread and the figures may assume its use.

It’s only another tenner and so long as you don’t do anything stupid with it you can use it on other low torque applications for added grip, not just necessarily carbon.

Depending on your relationship with your LBS, it’s possible they may give you a smear out of the workshop tube that you can use for this once only application.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for the amount you will use just pick some up in a bike shop, 1 tube will last years.
    Torqe to the specified limits.

I do own a torque wrench by the way.

Is it calibrated?

Poopscoop

Thanks for the continued info guys.

Hello MikeW,

Calibrated, yes, good question.

There is a calibration label in the box with it but the brand is pretty low end. Can’t remember the name at moment. You know how it is these days. Cheaper to put a calibration label in the box than actually calibrate it at the factory!

I do seem to remember it having good reviews on crc/ Amazon or wherever I got it from. For what that’s worth. Lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carbon assembly paste. First timer carbon frame build.’ is closed to new replies.