Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon 456 or Cotic Bfe?
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Thinking of changing from my c456. I do mostly xc riding with a few trail centre days out. Love how the Bfe looks – also fancy the soul. What to do?

plyphon
    Free Member

BFe is more of a big burly downhill/jumping/thrasher/ragger bike… totally overbuilt for mostly XC and trail centers.

456C is good for all of the above and XC/trail centers and can be built up in a variety of ways – light weight XC build or burly downhill thrasher depending on what you’re after.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I ride my BFe everywhere, most of the riding from my door is xc. 60k is the longest ride I’ve done and BFe rode well. I can ride 45 mins to Surrey Hils trails, ride the trails and steeper stuff have some fun and ride home. I have adjustable 120/150 forks bike rides well both ways but I have a little extra for when pointed downhill if I want it. I ride Surrey Hills and Peak district on trips up North. OP sounds like a Soul would suit you well but BFe is a fun bike and cheaper than the Soul.

If you can get to a Cotic demo day or ride one from 18 Bikes in Hope to make your own mind up

Northwind

I’ve had both, and a Soul. I thought the BFe was the worst of hte three, it’s a great bike but a bit… solid. You end up using words like “capable” which are good words but you want great words really.

C456 I had a like/hate relationship with. Rides really nice, feels quite big and long- well, it would, it’s a 456, handling is decent but not great, master of nothing. But the general feel of the thing is lovely, like light expensive steel done well. Reminded me more of the Soul than a steel 456 actually. Attention to detail and build quality was poor but the overall package worked well. Also, it’ll take an angle headset, which gives it a lot of options. But, then lumps of paint fell off and they finked out of the warranty, so I’d rather eat my own toes than give them any more money.

Soul, I loved. Best of the 456, best of the BFe, proper masterpiece of a thing. Just constantly inspiring, it lifted my riding hugely. Only my Ragley Ti’s had it beat for hardtails, and even then only because it does things different, not because it’s better.

All good bikes mind but I could own a Soul again, not the others.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve had a Soul and a BFe (and a ti hardtail, and a few 456s…) and both are ace. I preferred the BFe myself, as it’s more – here goes – ‘capable’ downhill, or rather the Soul was a bit too lively for me on proper downhills. The only downside to the BFe for me is the weight, so I’ve lightened it as much as possible (and I don’t notice it as much these days as I’m stronger).

I’ve also thought about getting a burly carbon but I’ll stick with the BFe I think.

catvet
    Free Member

Saw a Kona explosive 27.5 , looked fab and rode well . Albeit the guy on board was a good fit lad, the conditions wet lumpy and tricky up around Macc Forest

Blueadvocate

Went down this route late last year and built a c456 in the end.
    Really enjoy riding it as a change to my Remedy; of course if I fancied the Bfe in future 90% of the stuff can be swapped over.

happyrider
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone from a Cove Stiffee to a 456 and now a Bfe. All great bikes with slight differences, nothing too dramatic.

Current favourite is the current bike the Bfe, it really seems to bring the trail alive….. Seems to change direction nicer than the 456 but not as forgiving on the rear.

Going from the Cove to the 456 was like having rear suspension, less of a difference to the Bfe fro the 456 though.

All good fun bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I do mostly xc riding with a few trail centre days out.

The c456 will be more up your street IMO.

I briefly owned a Bfe but much preferred the c456 as my XC woodsy singletrack bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 or Cotic Bfe?’ is closed to new replies.