Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon 29er UST (solid well) Wheels ?
  • womp
    Free Member

Hi

I’m looking for a set of light 29er xc UST wheels (solid rim well)

I weigh 70kg and currently have easton EA70 XCT I’m thinking of Easton EC90 XC (which would make a claimed saving of 329g overall)

Any other recommendations ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stans?

womp
    Free Member

Hi cynic-al

Which Stans wheels are you thinking of?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I bought some Reynolds.Light ,strong and wide.Tubeless ready though but valves and tape in the box.The 2013’s are out so there mite be some offers on 2012’s 😉
    Thanx,
    Max

shortcut

Moon on a stick that! Best I can think of is crossmax SLr if you want solid well.

If you want light but can sacrifice the solid well and UST badge – Enve rims and maybe some King hubs for nice and shiney.

womp
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice guys looks like easton are the lightest wheels that have a solid ‘rim well’.
    I just hope the 329g weight saving is worth the 2k price tag

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not. HTH.

Why the need for a solid rim well?

womp
    Free Member

I change tyres a lot so the solid well makes life a little easier when cleaning out sealant so I just prefer it

cynic-al
    Free Member

£2K for 329gm are you kidding?

njee20
    Free Member

I change tyres a lot so the solid well makes life a little easier when cleaning out sealant so I just prefer it

I disagree, makes no difference at all. You’d be daft to buy those wheels if you’re motivated by light weight. Personally I think you’d be daft to buy them full stop, but each to their own.

womp
    Free Member

Point taken, im not adverse to looking at all options and would be intrested to see what the weight difference is if i dont use a solid well.
    Ok i know I’m in danger of getting to told to use the search button, but what would your ultimate light wheel be thats not a solid well but does have UST bead hook?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Why would cleaning up sealant from a converted rim be any different from a solid well? I can’t be bothered looking up the Easton wheels, but are you currently running UST tyres with sealant? If so, and you intend to keep changing your UST tyres frequently, looking for UST rims might make sense if you wanted to avoid the mess of sealant by not using it anymore. If you intend to keep on using sealant though, IMO your money would be much better spent on converted rims and tyres, both of which will be considerably lighter and offer far more choice.

How much are Enve rims in pounds? They’re super silly prices in Oz, but might fit into a £2k budget on the hubs njee recommends. Carbon rims are probably even more worthwhile on a 29er, but I’ve read plenty of bad things about Easton wheels.

womp
    Free Member

Ok solid well is out, carbon wheels, sealant & tape is in!

Iv had a look around and still have a few questions, but rather than let this thread get off topic ill open another.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and pointing me in the right direction 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 29er UST (solid well) Wheels ?’ is closed to new replies.