Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Caravan trip – West Wales or maybe South Coast
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Somewhere no more than a couple of hours from Cardiff, for the Easter weekend.

Any recommendations? We like small sites out in the sticks, possibly fun seaside stuff to explore.. I was thinking perhaps Aberaeron or something. We went to Tenby relatively recently.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

http://www.thegoldenfleecechard.co.uk

Nice little, quiet site.. a short drive to the coast though!

And in a pub garden 🙂

3 Cliffs Bay – Penmaen, Gower HTH

geoffj

St David’s – Caerfai caravan site http://caerfaibay.co.uk/
    Aberaeron is twee, but busy and there’s no beach – I’d avoid

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be Aberaeron itself, just that sort of area as we’ve not been there a lot.

3CB – been there loads, it’s nice and the beach is fun, but somewhere new would be good.

chorlton
    Free Member

Spent a couple of weeks camping here last year.
    Really enjoyed it. Just 5 minutes walk outside Aberaeron. Quite nice sat outside the Harbour Master of an evening drinking Erdinger. 🙂 No sandy beach but good for rock pooling. There’s a nice sandy beach down the road at New Quay where you can watch them bring the life boat in if you’re lucky.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sandy beach not a major concern.. it’s March.. rockpooling is the best we can hope for 🙂

takisawa2

Damage Barton Farm near Wolacombe had room when I spoke to them the other day. Looks nice, working farm, plenty of room.

molgrips
    Free Member

Working farm would be a major plus for the kids.

mark90
    Free Member

Not been yet, but looking at going here later in the year….

http://www.exmoorcoastholidays.co.uk/

You can tell me if it’s worth going 😀

spooky_b329

2hrs 2 mins to Burrowhayse Farm, Porlock, Exmoor.

Not a working farm but they do have loads of trekking ponies/stables on site, direct access to the woods/hills behind, and a river through the site. Porlock village is a comfortable walk and so are the tea rooms in the opposite direction.

May be fully booked though as its lovely.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Can’t offer any sites,but we’ve joined the caravan club and started using their cl’s.
    Basic as hell,but some of them have been lovely,and as cheap as a fiver a night.
    You can have lots of trips for a fiver a night 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah we used to belong to the Caravan Club when I was a kid. CLs all the way.

I would have thought they’d be more than £5/night 20 years later, but if not then that’s a pretty compelling reason to join.

midlifecrashes

We love Tresaith, fantastic little beach village north of Cardigan. There’s a touring site there called Llety which seems OK. Haven’t used it as we’ve always stayed in a cottage, but we’ve been back three times so it says a lot about the place.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Molgrips-there’s not many at a fiver a night now,but a few if you look for them. Stayed on one last year for £3 a night believe it or not, mind you I don’t think we’ll go back to that one 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Steer clear of the Sarf Carst.

Don’t want you sort down here thank you very muchly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=6021

Amazing little spot right by the beach.
    Out in the sticks, stones throw from the beach.
    Great walks and good cheeky riding from the site.

This is a good spot too..
    http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21884

I do alot of cheeky riding around here

singlecrack
    Free Member

I hear the M5 is very popular with caravaners over the Easter weekend 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m now thinking Tenby as according to my Mum there’s more ‘stuff’ to do rather than lounging on a beach, which ain’t happening in March.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where would be best for generating a good traffic jam?

Bregante

Tenby’s ace. We re-visit most years. Lots of nice places to eat too.

If your young uns like creepy crawlies, take them to Silent World

http://www.silentworld.org.uk/

Not the biggest place but it’s “quirky” and they get plenty of chance to get hands on with lizards, snakes etc.

Edit: oh no, it’s now moved from Tenby to Haverfordwest! 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

Silent world looks great 🙂

Staying in a small site near Carew castle, which looks interesting. Dinosaur world is nearby, but I’m not sure I want to fork out for that, looks a bit naff.

gnusmas

molgrips, Aberaeron/New Quay is ok but leave it for nicer weather. I live 7 miles from Aberaeron, 9 miles from New Quay and there isn’t much to do if the weather is bad.

Go for Tenby and come this way when the bright thing in the sky decides it wants to stay with us for a while.

molgrips
    Free Member

I live 7 miles from Aberaeron, 9 miles from New Quay and there isn’t much to do if the weather is bad.

Glad you said that, that’s what I’d concluded after scrutinising the map.

Jealous of your location btw 🙂

gnusmas

Take the area for granted i think. Very picturesque etc but no good if you actually want to do activities. Apart from Brechfa and Nant yr Arian nearby 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

I hear the M5 is very popular with caravaners over the Easter weekend

Just crossed over the M5 at J19 and there are plenty of caravaners enjoying the slow moving traffic, as there was earlier too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Update, since I know you’re all keen to know:

We went to Tenby beach, that was sodding freezing; St Davids (also cold); West Williamston nature reserve; Manorbier beach (more sheltered and less windy, a fun day) and then Barafundle (also sheltered and fun).

Just a couple of hours digging and rockpooling each time. The ‘van was good, side dinette layout surprisingly much better than I was expecting. Very well ventilated which made it pretty damn cold at night, but managed in the end. Most of it worked ok but one of the legs is trying to punch its way through the floor in the leaking corner 🙁

Site was good, v quiet and out of the way, nice views of the water, a bit windy though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Caravan trip – West Wales or maybe South Coast’ is closed to new replies.