Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car wheel compatibilty question if I may
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Will any 5 stud wheel fit any other 5 stud vehicle?
    For example, if I can get some 5 stud BMW wheels cheap is there any reason I can’t use them on my Transit?
    BMW wheels are 16″, my Transit ones are 15″. Loads of space in the arches.
    Is having the bigger wheels going to mess up things like the speedo? I guess it may have the effect of gearing it up slightly, will that extra inch be noticeable, would it actually be a benefit by making 5th taller? I can pull away easily in second so not worried about making first a bit bigger.
    Thoughts please lovely folks of STW.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

No, you need to check bolt PCD and wheel offset. You may also need spigot rings, and the bolts need to be the same type (some bolt heads sit at different angles).

stumpy01

Nothing to say that the PCD of the stud holes on the wheels will be the same, so you can’t assume they will fit (although they might).

You also should consider the offset, which I think is denoted by ‘ET…..’

EDIT – (what he said, but slower)….

pictonroad

no, maybe, sometimes yes.

Complicated subject, lots of guides on the net regarding fitment and changes to the speedo, been done many times before in other places.

like here

or here

and then you get into the offset calculation

here

here’s how it affects your speedo reading

here

benji
    Free Member

A larger rim should be matched with a lower height sidewall, therefore the outer rolling radius is unaffected. Plenty of calculators on the internet to help you get it right.

frogstomp

Also worth noting that if your new wheels come with tyres, they may need to be suitably load-rated for the van.

scotroutes

And remember to to inform your insurance company

andrewh
    Free Member

So not ideal for buying unseen off ebay then? They do indeed come with tyres, it was tyres I was looking for but found some cheap with wheels already attached.
    Oh well, thanks guys.

neilnevill
    Free Member

transit wheel sizes here
    http://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/transit/2012/

looks like you need 160 pcd and 65.1 centre bore those are both quite large for a car so id doubt bmw wheels will fit.

if they do, make sure to use the correct bolts – thread for the transit hub is 14 x 2mm, the shoulder on the bolt needs to be correct for what ever the wheel is, it could be tapered at a couple of different angles, or rounded.

trail_rat
    Free Member

never seen any BMW vans – i doubt the wheels will be weight rated – regardless of tires fitted….

not that it bothers the VW crowd.

Sui
    Free Member

if you’re looking just for tyres, go;

http://www.oponeo.co.uk

they are bloomin good!

cr500dom
    Free Member

Transit is 5×160 pcd
    BMW is 5×120

Can be done with adaptors, but you’ll be looking at £300 for those.
    Tyres need to be load rated and really wheels do too

BMW X5 is higher load rating than my Transit 🙄

So Basically if you want to do it safely , check the load ratings of the vehicle to which the wheels were originally attached, pick wheels that are over rated for the van, fit correctly load rated tyres.

Expect the Van to tramline like crazy, ride really harshly, get worse Fuel consumption, be less tolerant of potholes and wear out those nice low profile (And mega expensive) tyres in a very short period of time.

It will look better though (But generally only if you Lower it to suit)
    Hope that helps 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car wheel compatibilty question if I may’ is closed to new replies.