Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car tyres load rating
  • SaxonRider

What effect would putting a higher load- and speed-rated have on one’s experience of a car?

I have found what appears to be a dream tyre, but in the size I need, it is only available in a slightly higher speed and load ratings, plus the XL designation.

(I need 91H, and this tyre comes as 95V XL.)

Any noticeable downsides?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have XL rated Kumho Ecsta on my Golf. I ordered them without realising they are meant for the Golf Plus. They do the job fine and I can’t tell any difference between them and the non-XL Ecsta that they replaced. However my driving style is economy focused rather than trying to make progress.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing.

They make so many ratings that the chance of the supplier over-buying is quite high, so it’ll be a random selection of ratings that get discounted .

perchypanther
    Free Member

When you go to a MacDonalds drive thru you’ll be able to “go large” with impunity.

Result.

takisawa2

Had higher rating fitted to my caravan, made it nicer to tow.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Extra load can make an already firm riding car feel even harder.
    But mostly cheaper brands go heavy load/ higher rating because as has been said you can fit to anything that requires lower rating.
    I.e my pal has a civic type R, because he’s tight he bought 4 cheap extra load tyres and now it feels even more like he’s driving a skate board. He intends to now remove them.

andy4d

I believe that the xl have a firmer side walls to cope with heavier loads therefore could give a firmer ride. Saying that I never noticed a difference.

mattyfez

Yeh if you can notice the difference then it may feel like a slightly firmer ride.. The rule really is don’t go less than manufacturer recommended spec, higher speed rating or extra load capacity is not an issue… But there’s not much point buying a high load tyre unless you carry heavy loads.

I think the minimum speed rating for my car is H or V, but i like good rubber so typically end up getting faster rated W or Z speed tyres.

molgrips
    Free Member

Had higher rating fitted to my caravan, made it nicer to tow.

Ooh good idea.

molgrips
    Free Member

But there’s not much point buying a high load tyre unless you carry heavy loads

Unless they are on discount, as per the OP. And me previously.

mattyfez

True.. I was shopping for continental premium 5’s and ended up buying audi specific ones as they happened to be slightly cheaper at the time over standard conti premium 5. (my car is not an audi)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car tyres load rating’ is closed to new replies.