Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car tyre – width question
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

My tyres are 205 and my missus’ 195.

If we bought 4 winter tyres (cheaper per tyre if bought in a four) – could i use them on mine or would it be all to cock?

same 60 r15

ketchup
    Free Member

Don’t think so, I’m not sure if the thinner tyre would fit on your wheel although i’m not an expert and have never needed to change my tyres before.

Also iirc the 60 in your post is a percentage of the width of your tyres, i.e the distance between the edge of the rim and the circumference of the tyre would be different. If the thinner tyres did fit your wheels (again I dont know if they would or not) then you’d need to get your speedo reconfigured as the smaller tyre would make it inaccurate.

But as I said I’m not an expert and could speaking a pile of rubbish 😛

TheFlyingOx

That’s just a 10mm difference. The stretched tyre look is in with the Euro car modifying scene anyway. Go for it.

parkesie
    Free Member

would fit stretched euro look bobbins. Id suggest getting hold of a pair of steel wheels that will fit the tyres properly though. Saves changing tyres over come summer.

ketchup
    Free Member

It would be roughly a 40mm difference in circumference which if my maths is correct is about a 2% decrease in radius which would mean that everytime your car says you’ve done a mile you’ve only done 98% of a mile (if you don’t get the speedo reconfigured). Whilst this might not seem alot it would mean that you’d put quite a few more miles on the clock that you haven’t actually done by the time you take them off next year

v8ninety

Oh for goodness sake, it’ll be fine. You’ll hardly notice any difference in the look and most speedos are no where near that accurate anyway. (hence 10% + 2mph)

Mintman
    Free Member

Width will have no impact on circumference and speedo accuracy, only changing the 60 or R15 will do that. You just need to ensure that your wheels can take the difference in width but from my experience with alloys, a change this small is no big deal.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Width will have no impact on circumference and speedo accuracy, only changing the 60 or R15 will do that. You just need to ensure that your wheels can take the difference in width but from my experience with alloys, a change this small is no big deal.

Please make sure you know what you’re talking about before posting advice for people. The 60 is sidewall height as a % of the width, not an absolute value. Change the width and you chance the sidewall height. In this case the difference is too small to be much of an issue, but what he does have to be wary of is the load ratings, speed ratings and if either car is a 4wd or has fancy stability control packages (and sometimes ABS) as some have issues with differences in tyre sizes between axles.

It’s also inadvisable to get only 2 tyres, but that’s your call.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

To clarify … Are u putting two winter tyres on each car ? Wouldn’t be recommending that from the outset ???

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why not?

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Because it goes against every piece of advice I’ve heard 🙂

You can create a setup prone to either huge oversteer (FWD – winters on front) or massive under steer (RWD – winters on rear). not what u want when the weather is at its worst.

If you think about it, you’ll grip with one end and slide with the other. It’s startling just how much additional grip winter tyres give, and will easily out drive the summers level of grip.

If something did go wrong, I’d guess your insurers would be less than understanding. I put four winters on mine, and still had to argue against a charge for non standard equipment.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I am fairly sure that if you’re driving fairly sedately and don’t have to emergency stop it’s not really an issue. In emergency braking situations you’re creating a situation where any off-straight steering will result in larger than normal rotational moment caused by the imbalance of traction, making it more likely to spin. Hard to quantify and all the “demonstrations” you see are treated as though the driver is a moron and won’t countersteer or react in any way, so hard to know the exact reality of the situation.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Only ever put winter tyres on the front, never bothered on the back and never will. When it snows I want / need traction on the front. I drive very carefully, increase the gap to cars in front, brake more slowly use gears to slow down etc. You would have to be fairly reckless to get the back to step out in the snow on a FWD car. Just drive to the conditions on the road and relish all the grip from the tyres on the front. I would rather have 195 snow tyres in crap weather than 205 summer tyres any day you’ll be fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

When it snows I want / need traction on the front. I drive very carefully, increase the gap to cars in front, brake more slowly use gears to slow down etc.

Yes, that’s normal practice in the snow. None of which helps if someone else does something stupid in front of you or if you’re creeping down a steep hill slower than the gearing allows and your back end breaks free.

You would have to be fairly reckless to get the back to step out in the snow on a FWD car.

No, you’re missing the point I think. It’s actually easier to get the back end to step out when using 2 up front *than it is when you’re using neither* or both – you make the under-braking handling worse.

As Ive said in previous threads, I’ve never had an ounce of trouble with normal rain tyres despite trudging round Scottish highlands in the snow most the last few winters – never had a traction issue yet, in fact the only problem I had was when the snow got so deep I got stranded on the crown of the road and had to dig it off to get the wheels back on the floor 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre – width question’ is closed to new replies.