Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Car tyre q re mileage
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

How many miles do you get out a set of tyres on your drive wheels?

flatfish
    Free Member

Depends if you drive like a twonk.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

When I used to drive a Saxo VTS 12k was doing good. Guess that means I drove like a twonk.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on the car, the tyre and whether I’m driving like a twonk.

12-15k from a front driving set of fairly soft tyres while driving sensibly. So far 40K on the rears, same tyre.

8-12K from the same tyres driving like a nut on a 4WD car but 25K from the previous set of cheap, horrible gripless plastic cheapies.

jam-bo

10-15k. Mostly commuting on poor condition, twisty b roads across dartmoor.

flatfish
    Free Member

Old polo i had done me for over 60,000 when i flogged it.
    50-55,000 were motorway miles

Waderider
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string. For example, grippier tyres tend to be softer and wear faster, and compounds vary. Motorway miles cause less wear than town miles. Is the car driven by a twonk? etc.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Got 13.5k out of mine on the mondeo which i thought was good. A mate reckons he can get up to 40k from expensive front tyres, just trying to weigh up whether it was worth paying top dollar for tyres?

djglover
    Free Member

fronts on mine went on 25K ago, probably about 3/4 worn now.

donsimon
    Free Member

Car is on 240,000kms and I’m coming to the end of my third set of fronts, rears have plenty left, don’t carry much weight, and they are original. 95% of driving is motorway and I guess I’m not a twonk.
    First change of brake pads @ 80k. 😆

matt_outandabout

12-15k Touran Tdi here on rough, twisty singletrack roads. Usually binned as the tracking is out after the potholes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s worth paying for grippy tyres. It’s not really worth paying for long lasting tyres IMO, you’re better off getting cheap soft tyres and changing them more often. Grip and handling really are the only performance criteria of a tyre, though wear rate and impact-protection obviously count for something. For my current tyre size I have a price range of £30-£110 fitted. My tyres (rain experts) are fast wearing, grip like glue in most conditions but are easily damaged by potholes (soft sidewalls) and cost me about £50 per corner and Id say count on 15K if you drive “normally” on an average vehicle.
    I’ve tried many tyres and I can honestly say that price doesn’t link very well to either grip or lifespan.

mattstreet

About 12-15k on average out of the front tyres of the Focus, but they’re known for getting through tyres fairly quickly. Used to get less than 10k from factory-fit Continental Ecosports – will never use those again!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

10-12k. Mondeo also, plenty of country lanes though.

dyls

15-18k on a civic type r. 45k and still counting on the rears.

KT1973
    Free Member

Fronts 15-18K Rears 10-12 ish Brakes 20 F more R

donsimon
    Free Member

What are you doing to them? I’m sure I used to get much more than 25k miles on my Mondeo in the UK on a mixture of rural, motorway and city driving.

rebus
    Free Member

Don’t buy a Alfa spider! Wife’s car and she doesn’t drive it aggressively. 45k and her fourth set of fronts are due a change anytime soon.

stumpy01

Lots of variables…

My mk3 1.4 Fiesta was very kind to tyres – 44k on a set of Vredestein hi-tracs on the front when I got rid.

My current Tdi Ibiza will get through tyres in 22-25k miles mainly on motorway miles. Softer tyres like Toyo Proxes t1-r or sticky Yoko’s would probably last half that, particularly if less motorway miles were being done.

cxi
    Free Member

I’m a one time member of the “drives like a twonk” club – a pair of Conti Sport Contacts 2 on my Ibiza TDI lasted about 8k. Thankfully VW Financial Services were paying. I I think I usually got about 12k.

Get about 15k out of Ultrac Sessantas on my Saab 9-3, though they are bad for tramling when getting towards the end.

aP
    Free Member

40k on original tyres on a Focus, changed 12 months ago hopefully another 40k before doing it again. The annoying man at the dealer was quite surprised that they’d lasted so long.

br
    Free Member

Depends on the car, depends on the tyres and depends on the ‘driver’.

Worse for me was a fully expensed company old-style Vectra V6 auto, max 9k on the fronts.

cove123

mondeo estate under 10k lots of stop start drives but cheap tyres £75 a time.

rears go on for ever!!!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Probably get somewhere around 30,000 miles out of the front tyres.

hora
    Free Member

Buy the best tyres that you can afford. My 04 1.6 focus came with conti sport contact alround.

Vred sportrac are my dream tyres. Noisier than most but in wet weather utterly amazing.

Don’t buy ‘big manu’s subbrands’ either- utter crap. Lesser compound (I.e more plastic than rubber) and meant for warmer ¥markets.

If you must budget- kumhos are the best imo.

Nexens are utterly evil.

saladdodger
    Free Member

using Prestevos on the front of my oil burning Picaso done 25k so far about 1/2 life on the front end
    Micheline ❓ energys would be shot by now

hora
    Free Member

RR if you drive generally over the tops/ladybower etc buy decent allweather tyres.

Budgets will give you more but just once you may slide into something or a kerb negating the £30 per corner saving. Over a year you’d only save that much…

andrewh
    Free Member

90k plus and only bough three tyres, all fronts.
    5 different cars though…

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I put a new pair of rear tyres onto a Honda S2000 then went for a 2200 mile drive around France for a weekend with a few friends 8) by the time I got home both rear tyres were at the legal minimum, they lasted 4 days!

hora
    Free Member

You got 5 people in a s2000? 😉

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

You got 5 people in a s2000?

Was a squeeze but we managed it 😉

Was a S2000 club trip to the Millau Viaduct and back, there was nine cars.

iainc

in the 330d, I get around 800 miles per tyre

LOL – but it’s not the same really 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

I get about 6k on my rears (drive) and 10k on the fronts (330), that probably puts me in the twonk club :p Although at around £200 a corner I’ll probably be less twonk-ish this year.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre q re mileage’ is closed to new replies.