Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • car tyre pressures
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s an older car, 1998, and I’m wondering if I should be going with what the car manufacturer says or the Tyre manufacturer says?

Cougar

Is there a wild difference?

carlos
    Free Member

IMO – If its the original size tyre as came on the car when first bought, then the car manufacture pressures as they’ll (should) be suited the the kerb weight of the vehicle.

Marge
    Free Member

As Carlos said….

I would be surprised to hear a tyre manufacture recommend otherwise!

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s about 15% difference. I was surprised myself.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too would go with the original recommendations with one word of warning-if the sidewall construction of the tyre is significantly different in construction from the original ie old fitted tyres were steel braced radials as opposed to aramid fiber with less/no steel bracing then I would suggest the higher pressures to prevent tyre roll. I know that on my VW Passat Estate on an R plate there is a selection of tyres in the size with different side wall characteristics/build. Any knowledgeable tyre fitter/suppiler should be able to point you in the right direction if you are still unsure.
    What sort of psi on what tyre/vehicle/axle?

andyl
    Free Member

Tbh I set my own tyre pressures depending on time of year and tyre fitted.

Need more information though – car, age, type of tyres, pressures you are referring to etc etc.

oxnop
    Free Member

Not related but……. I thought my tyres looked flatish on my Golf on Friday (first time checking the air pressures since buying 🙂 ) the fronts had 11psi & 16psi in and the rears 20psi. All now have 35psi, so I’m expecting higher than the 44mpg I’ve averaged over the last 2.5k!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

You are one lucky man who has not had a blow out on a motorway or other fast road and a big accident. Hope you check them weekly if not monthly from now on. I could go into full rant mode but its late….

oxnop
    Free Member

No need to go into a rant I’m fully aware. Hadn’t drove the car much recently.

Defo will be checked every time I fill up as a matter of course!!

molgrips
    Free Member

The tyre manufacturer states the MAX pressures, surely?

Tyre pressure depends on the weight of the vehicle, how would the tyre manufacturer know that?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Good man-just a word of caution if you have been running them at that lower a pressure for so long the sidewalls are probbaly damaged significantly and will be weakened and could still be in danger of an unexpected blowout. I would suggest for safety’s sake that you take the car to a reputable tyre fitters for them to examine all the tyres and reseat them if they are not damaged as it may be that they are leaking from the beads/not seated. If you dont want to take each wheel off the car yourself to examine the inner and outer sidewalls for any cracks/wear of surfaces or blistering. Its not the legalities that concern me but you and your passengers safety. Hope it doesnt work out too expensive for you.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I would go with the tyre makers recommendation for your vehicle. 🙄

Marge
    Free Member

From where did you obtain the tyre manufacturers recommended pressure?

Normally speaking, tyre manuafacturers ‘recommendation’ charts are only a compilation of the car manufcaturers data.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘car tyre pressures’ is closed to new replies.