Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Car tyre losing pressure
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Pump it up, then over the course of a couple of weeks its loses 15psi. Is it just a matter of popping to a tyre fit place and getting it refitted? Or likely to be new tyre time?

mattyfez

Could need refitting, could be a bad valve, or could be a dent on the wheel rim.

nairnster
    Free Member

How old is the car. Alloys can become porous over time and stop holding air.

rocketman
    Free Member

Puncture possibly?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are you running tubeless bro? 😉

legend
    Free Member

rocketman – Member
    Puncture possibly?
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s just a crazy suggestion

rocketman
    Free Member

I know it’s insane

ads678

The alloys on my old pass at had gone porous and were leaking air, so I had them refurbished (powder coated) and they were fine after that.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Puncture possibly?

15 psi over a couple of weeks is more likely to be a leak through a valve or a dent. A puncture would be far more rapid.

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope have had many punctures like that

gonefishin
    Free Member

Nope have had many punctures like that

Well I’ve had more leaking valves with those symptoms than punctures, so whose anecdote is more reliable 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Possibly a screw or nail in the tread. Usually self seal, but if parks with the nail touching the road and force the nail to move and let air out.
    Tyre fitters and get it looked at.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Continue to pump it up every few weeks until you get to the point that it irritates you too much……..

……then take it to a tyre place to fix.

fasthaggis

Chuck some Stans fluid in it,sorted. 😉

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

ha ha Toddboy, that’s been my course of action up till now. Now reached the irritation point.

OK all, off to the fixers it is 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

You need some Bead Sealer
    You will also need to be able to get the tyre off the rim and refit it so maybe pop along to your local Independent Tyre Fitter rather that KwikFit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can’t believe someone has suggested a puncture, how absurd. The tyre is leaking air for christs sake 🙂

Continue to pump it up every few weeks until you get to the point that it irritates you too much……..

……then take it to a tyre place to fix.

And at that point you’ll find that as you’ve been running the tyre under inflated you’ve damaged the inner side wall of the tyre and you’ll need a new tyre.

johndoh
    Free Member

Another reason for it happening is an old tyre that has started to crack.

#anotherwayofhavingapuncture

scuttler

You need some of those tyre worms/turds/maggots/anchovies from the other thread innit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ruling out puncture or dodgy valve it’s air leaking from the bead. Over time the tightness of the tyre bead on the wheel relaxes, a combination of the steel in the tyre bead stretching and the soft alloy deforming. A short term measure is to have the tyre removed and the wheel bead roughened up – this is effective but in my experience only a temporary fix. A wheel refurb seems to be the only permanent fix. Replacing the tyre works because you’re re-establishing that tight seal between the tyre bead and wheel, but after a couple of years that will relax again.

doris5000

And at that point you’ll find that as you’ve been running the tyre under inflated you’ve damaged the inner side wall of the tyre and you’ll need a new tyre.

if you’re lucky the tyre will reach need replacing for tread depth before then 😉

pdw
    Free Member

A puncture would be far more rapid.

Not if the nail/screw is still in the tyre. I’ve had this a few times, always been down to a nail or screw.

Gary_M
    Free Member

if you’re lucky the tyre will reach need replacing for tread depth before then

Running a tyre very under inflated can destroy it inside in a matter of a few miles, but if you keep it topped up it’ll be fine.

doris5000

Running a tyre very under inflated can destroy it inside in a matter of a few miles, but if you keep it topped up it’ll be fine.

perhaps I was just lucky. Or perhaps the Mk3 Mondeo estate is just so perfectly balanced that it can run on a flat with nae bother, like the old Citroen DS 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Perhaps its a less than committed hate campaign?

Cougar

Not if the nail/screw is still in the tyre. I’ve had this a few times, always been down to a nail or screw.

Anecdotally obviously, but me too.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

As above most likely a nail.or screw which is still embedded in the tread. Always amazed that they hold air for as long as they do. Car tyres are pretty resilient these days.

Northwind

I’m not going to say it’s a great idea, but I had a very slow leak from one tyre, I threw a little stans sealant in it, now it’s grand. I did check for visible damage etc, tbh I suspected the rim as it’s a monkey metal ford OE alloy.

ebennett

Got the same thing with mine but over a month or so rather than a few weeks and more like 5-7 psi (while the one on the other side has lost ~1 psi). Fairly sure it’s a dent in the alloy as it still loses air despite changing the tyre and the rim had those balancing weight things on when I bought it (2nd hand). Doesn’t lose enough to be properly annoying, just enough that I bought a compressor rather than having to fill it at the garage all the time!

Gary_M
    Free Member

perhaps I was just lucky. Or perhaps the Mk3 Mondeo estate is just so perfectly balanced that it can run on a flat with nae bother, like the old Citroen DS

The thing is you won’t know the tyres fecked on the inside until it either blows out or you go to the garage to get the puncture fixed to find a pile of rubber shreddings inside the tyre. Could be a childs face next time

dunsapie
    Free Member

If you have alloy wheels, there may be a crack in them, it is quite common with Mercedes and BMWs according to the engineering firm that welded mine.

Jingle
    Free Member

I have had success finding quite small leaks by putting the wheel in the bath and looking for bubbles.

However:
    I now know it is quite easy to scratch the bath.
    Having seen a car fall off a jack, I would advise not taking the wheel off unless you have the right gear (axle stand or similar, torque wrench for tightening the nuts/bolts properly), and know what you are doing (things like don’t work where you might get run over, chock the other wheels, use the jacking points, don’t put any part of you under the car…) – I expect there is good advice on places like the AA website, and good demos on youtube.

Sandwich

Mrs Sandwich car has alloys that are a bit old. The paint on the bead area was flaking having the tyre removed and the area wide brushed cured things. We’ve since had them all refurbed.

CountZero

Its possible that there might be slight damage to the inside of the rim from hitting a pothole, it doesn’t take much to distort the rim enough to allow a slow leak; I’ve had two rims damaged like that, one of them quite severely, yet it still held air, just needing topping up once a week.
    When I saw how badly damaged it was I was pretty shaken, I’d done an emergency drive to Bristol A&E after my brother had a bike accident and I’d hit 100mph a couple of times!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre losing pressure’ is closed to new replies.