Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Car theft – Swinley
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Had a great ride tonight at Swinley with a pal only to return to the car and find that the window was smashed and stuff taken. Only thing on display was a pile of work clothes on the passenger seat so I think I was spotted when I was getting changed as I had my stuff in a nice Brooks rucksack which was a gift from friends. I made a point of not having it on display but the little shits got it. If anyone sees one on eBay or similar please shout.

Ta it is is one http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/bags/cycle+bags+&+accoutrements/ISLINGTON+Rucksack/

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I don’t usually comment on topics such as these but the little feckers, I mean that’s pretty harsh, must of been desperadonuts.

cinnamon_girl

john – that’s rubbish. 🙁 Pretty sure there’s cameras in the car park and presumably the Police have been informed? Swinley is rich pickings I’m afraid.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Swinley seems to attract local scumbags I am afraid. Sad times but there has been a few incidents reported on here as well.

hora
    Free Member

Will keep a lookout. As a rule when I change to ride I always hide my jeans/trousers etc completely out of sight incase they think there might be a wallet or coins etc in the pockets.

alzore
    Free Member

Around what time was this.?

Sorry for the loss, I live across the road and seems that the carpark gets targeted once in a while. I doubt it is locals and more opportunists knowing that Swinley draws in people from afar and that they will be leaving cars unattended for a couple of hours…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hora, I think I was a little naive with regards to what I thought was worthy of theft. I hid the expensive bag, the laptop, the wallet, etc etc, but not for one minute did I think my ted baker socks would drive someone to crime! The more I think about it the more I am sure I was watched going back to the car after attempting to get changed. My mates 5 series Beemer was tucked aWay in a secluded corner of the car park and wasn’t touched, my little silver fiesta was in plain site of everyone in the middle of the car park. If I was a thief checking random cars the Beemer was the low risk option.

Police are calling back this morning to get details. It’s just a right pain, insurance premium will rise, I was supposed to be driving to Cornwall today for a stag do, can’t do that without a window. Bit miffed

johnj2000
    Free Member

Alzore, it was between 6.30 and 9

wiggles
    Free Member

You can tell the insurance company and pay an excess have a bit of cash towards your stuff and have higher premiums…

Or you could tell them a stone flicked up from a passing lorry and smashed your window. This wouldn’t get you any money for your stuff but would mean it only couonts as a windscreen claim and the excess is usually quite low and doesn’t normally change your future premiums…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Interesting thought wiggles. Trouble is that the stolen socks plus other stuff comes in at around 700 quid and the bag had sentimental value sonwantnto replace that like for like

edward2000
    Free Member

Or you could tell them a stone flicked up from a passing lorry and smashed your window. This wouldn’t get you any money for your stuff but would mean it only couonts as a windscreen claim and the excess is usually quite low and doesn’t normally change your future premiums…

😯

simon_g

Any glass damage, for whatever reason, is normally covered if you have windscreen/glass cover. No need to make up stories about stones and lorries.

I had a rear screen changed under mine when a drunk guy had a temper tantrum and hit it during an argument outside my house. No issues claiming, and no problems with future premiums.

Although I did also have an entire car stolen a few years later and that made surprisingly little difference to my premiums too.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Simon that’s reassuring to hear. Wonder if I will ever see my socks again?

mrhoppy

Theft of clothes was a fairly common problem when I used to surf on the Gower. Easy to pick up, unlikely raise suspicion and often contain phone/wallet/etc it also indicates you’re off doing something that’ll have you away for a while. I learnt that lesson the hard way, everything is put out of sight now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hence the signs up in the car park warning of thieves. It’s been like this for years, even before it got more popular with the new trails.

Bikes likewise at risk. Don’t whatever you do leave bike on the rack and pop into the cafe etc. It won’t be there when you return.

I think there is CCTV but each time I hear these reports I don’t think they catch anyone, nor are the police interested. Odd as it’s a council car park.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Insurance only only pay 150 for personal effects. Now I really am pissed off

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try your home insurance for the personal bits.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Great minds. Checking homew insurance now although on hold at 5p per min

Superficial
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was possible to spend £330 on a rucksack. I’m also surprised that any thief would appreciate that.

Sounds rubbish anyway, good luck with the insurance.

johnj2000
    Free Member

It’s all gone tits up. This will teach me to pay the minimum on insurance. No cover outside house on home insurance so I am down 700 quid. Gutted is not even close

edlong
    Free Member

Is it just me that is still surprised that on any thread relating to insurance, there will seemingly invariably be a post recommending some sort of fraudulent / dishonest action?

OP, why don’t you just look round the car park for a car with another bag you like the look of, break the window and steal that? It won’t affect effect affect effect change your insurance premiums…

sazter

That sucks big time, hate thieves! I had some fancy bags nicked once, a solar powered O’Neill one that charged devices and played my ipod, cut it off and put a call through and back to the audio (yes, I know it’s now redundant with smartphones but I loved it) and a nice camelbak, the worst part was the scumbag just took the bags to carry my stuff. Didn’t get the internals to the solar bag so useless to them and I never managed to source a replacement as it was no longer made. They also took the last £1 I had to my name and had left on the side for the next days tube to work, some half used perfume and 2k+ of other stuff. The worst part was knowing someone had been through my stuff.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Trouble is that the stolen socks plus other stuff comes in at around 700 quid and the bag had sentimental value sonwantnto replace that like for like

Someone stole your socks?

And don’t do the fraud thing, that just makes you into a criminal too.

Edit: Talking of theft – £145 for a shopping basket!

johnj2000
    Free Member

I will give you that, most of their stuff is top notch and if you have the funds then a nice thing to have, however! A shopping basket?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The £150 has been there for years and what makes it worse if you claim they whack up your premiums you end up losing all round just because you go out and have fun and others want to take your things.Nice world these days.Maybe they will get strangled on the straps of your rucksack with any luck.

wheelie

Hiding stuff does not usually work. The scumbags were probably watching you doing that. If you really have to carry stuff that needs to be hidden, make sure it is done before you get to the carpark.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Lesson learnt Wheelie, I was naive. I am still smarting today, got ready to take the children to karate reached for my boots, agh right no boots. Trying to think of things to sell to replace the bag, feel really bad losing a gift like that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the words you want to hear but read the **** documents when it comes to insurance. 90 dry pages later I know what and where I’m covered. I lost close to 1k’s worth of climbing gear (no insurance cover) and was very relieved when they dumped the bag as too heavy.

As sad as it is in some places it’s best to only take material positions. I see my bikes etc as that. There are very few things I have that mean enough that money couldn’t replace and they tend to be things I don’t carry around.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I get your point, I guess all I think about when getting car insurance is the car. And when doing the home insurance I pick all the individual expensive items like bikes and jewellery, and have them listed so covered outside. I didn’t think to insure my socks 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, just one of those things… There are so many what insurance threads but it’s all individual and what’s covered by what is up to you.

Theft is normally opportunistic, when we used to climb in the Peak the car would be empty, glove box open parcel shelf removed almost saying there is nothing at all in here don’t break the window to check.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Just found out they used a crow bar and bent the frame, now they can’t fit new glass until body shop has it. It’s now a proper claim not just glass so more £££££

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Car theft – Swinley’ is closed to new replies.