• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • car tax problems?
  • truebloodmtb
    Free Member

Hi,

im looking at buying a car tomorrow from a guy about 50miles away from me the car currently has no tax and would need some to drive back. Now he bought the car 2 weeks ago from someone down south somewhere but his mate picked the car up for him, so he couldn’t sign the parts on the V5 doc where he needed so hes currently got both parts of the document including the one your supposed to send to the DVLA when you sell the car. So according to the DVLA the registered keeper of the car at this time is still the guy he bought it off now the guy seems legitimate as hes got all the documents you would have with a car including all the mot docs and old tax discs log book etc. but what i need to know is where do i stand for taxing the car tomorrow? because the tax disc would go back to its original owner or if i went to a post office with all the docs ie. V5 log book etc would i be able to tax it myself?

i may be rambling on but i could do with finding an answer as the dvla website is cr@p for specific info

cheers

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

i know im probably talking sh1t but ive just found this on the dvla website does this mean i sign the new keepers supplement and then go to a Post Office and tax it in my name?

The New Keeper Supplement can only be used for taxing at the Post Office for two months from the date you bought your vehicle. However, the DVLA Local Office will accept it for taxing up to thirteen months from your purchase date. If it’s out of date, you’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name – please see Taxing without a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement’ below.

btw this is the first car ive owned which is going on the road hence not knowing anything about rules

Drac

Now he bought the car 2 weeks ago from someone down south somewhere but his mate picked the car up for him, so he couldn’t sign the parts on the V5 doc where he needed so hes currently got both parts of the document including the one your supposed to send to the DVLA when you sell the car.

That bit there would put me off the car straight away, could be true sounds just a but too dodgy for my liking.

thered

I work in the trade and this doesn’t sound too legit to me. The new owner should have put the car into his name as TECHNICALLY but not practically that now denotes title.
    I don’t like the idea that he’s only had it two weeks, unless he’s a trader there is no reason for him to be selling this car that fast.
    He bought the car 2 weeks ago but his mate got it for him??? Sounds UBER UBER suspicious.
    Matey, treat this with extreeme caution

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

his mate owns a haulage firm and he picked it up on the way back from a delivery and the guy who he bought it from has filled in all the bits he needs to and given a full address and contact details if that makes it sound any better? and the reason hes selling it is he didn’t tell his wife hes buying it and got a fair bollocking according to him

Pook

Bollocks does sound apt. Avoid.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

If you’ve got the V5C and the owners filled it in etc, then I can’t see the problem in you signing it as if you’ve bought it and sending it off. All you’ve done is missed out the owner of two weeks. Don’t think you’ll be able to tax it until the new V5C comes back though (plus you’ll need insurance). Other thing you could do is get the two week owner to register the car and then sign the new docs when he gets them back, but it’ll delay things further.

Doesn’t sound the cleanest of situations, but could be legit. There’s a few folk around my way that have transporters and will pic cars up for you if you win them on ebay etc. It wouldn’t be right for them to sign the owners docs for the cars.

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

ive found abit on the DVLA website about taxing a vehicle for upto 2 months (ie. until the v5 comes back in your name from them) using the new keepers supplement which im guessing is that bit on the lh side of the doc which you are given with your details on it when you buy any car im going to ring the dvla this morning to find out anyways

hels
    Free Member

I would give them the plate number too, and subscribe to the AA to get the history checked. That story has a whole pack full of shaggy dogs in it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry, but sounds dodgy to me. Where cars are concerned, if you have a bad feeling about it, then always walk away. There will always be another one around the corner.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get an HPI check on it to check its not stolen or a write off and check the vin plate matches the number plates and is not tampered with

midlifecrashes

Have you spoken to the person listed as keeper on the V5? You have their name and address at least and they should be able to tell you more. Does sound dodgy though, HPI always and work from there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suppose…if he’s a trader, then they don’t normally put themselves down as the new owner if they’re only keeping it for a few weeks.

HPI or whatever as standard anyway.

You have test-driven this haven’t you?

Drac

I suppose…if he’s a trader, then they don’t normally put themselves down as the new owner if they’re only keeping it for a few weeks.

Then the original owner fills in the V5C/3 part.

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

ive done a hpi check its not stolen or written off and the chassis and engine number match up to the book as well

Del

sounds like a ‘part time’ trader. someone doing a bit on the side. personally i’d avoid unless the car was cheap enough. he’ll be taking a tickle out of it with no intention of taking any responsibility should things go awry.
    to answer your original question, you just rock up at the PO with your insurance cert for the car, valid MOT cert, and the completed V5, and they’ll let you tax it and send off the V5 at the same time. there might be another form to fill in, but if so, nothing major. however, make sure you get a receipt from this guy, see some photo ID confirming his address ( which you should also note ), and get it dated and signed.
    you don’t want to end up liable for the period of time the vehicle has been untaxed, and for all you know it could have been through every speed camera in the land at mach 2….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘car tax problems?’ is closed to new replies.