• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car Tax cockup… Anyone help?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Made a bit of a cockup as hadn’t familiarised myself with the new car tax laws… Anyway… Sold my old car last week, having recently paid for 12 months tax for it in full. Forgot to SORN it or notify the DVLA I had sold it, before sending the V5 off to them once I had sold it… D’oh!

How do I go about getting a refund from them for the proportion of tax I have already paid for? On the website I can only find info if I still have the V5 (which is in the post, or has been received by the DVLA), all I have left is that I can remember the Reg No. and that it had a lot of tax left on it…

Just had to shell out 12 months tax on my new car picked up this morning (obviously), so would quite like as much as I can back off the old one ASAP!

Mintman
    Free Member

I’m sure when I sold my car 2 months ago it was an automatic refund. On receipt of the new owner bit they’d updated the details and sent me what tax was left.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, theres nothing to be done, you’ll get a cheque automatically.

mboy
    Free Member

Ah, good news!

So they’ll just take the date of sale written on the V5, work it out up til then and refund me yeah?

funkynick

But they will only repay from the end of the month you sold it in…

The new owner then has to tax it from the beginning of the month they bought it in…

So, for pretty much every car sold the car is taxed for a month by both parties… that’s got to be a nice little earner for the government!

Cougar

Hypothetically, what if you were to sell it at midnight on the last day of the month?

Cougar

In seriousness, that’s a bit broken.

If the tax is refunded for whole months, surely it’s still taxed for the remainder of that last month? Cheeky buggers.

funkynick

Exactly what I thought… but as it’s now taxed to a particular person, once that person has sold the car it is then no longer taxed, but they will only refund whole months…

ebygomm
    Free Member

I got the cheque to refund 3 days after posting the V5 slip so you shouldn’t have to wait too long.

wwaswas

I made the mistake of taking delivery of a new (to me) car on the 28th of a month recently…

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Cheque comes automatically, I got married this year so misses sent off a change of name the nice dvla done a change of ownership! Came home from honeymoon to cheque from dvla and an untaxed car

mboy
    Free Member

Cheque for £135 turned up in the post this morning… My faith restored! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car Tax cockup… Anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.