Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Car tax
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Do you get pinged immediately if your tax runs out? I know they have it all on computers these days…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No I dont think you do.

Edric64
    Free Member

No I have taxed two vehicles in the last couple of months a week late as I have been skint.

RV
    Free Member

I don’t think so, I left it a week or so and got another reminder.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.. we’re in a right mess now. We’re off on hols for two weeks on Friday lunchtime and the tax for the Prius expires at the end of this month and has no MOT. The Passat is taxed but I don’t know if the MOT has expired or not 🙁

I’m here in Aldershot until we leave, and Mrs Grips is at home in Cardiff with both cars. She needs to come down here on Thursday so we can go to the airport Friday.

I’ve booked the car in on Thursday morning, but that’s going to be a terrible morning for her, having to hang around town all morning with a screaming toddler then drive down to Aldershot IF the car passes.

Gah!

Edric64
    Free Member

where did you mot the Passat ?they can check as can the dvla these days.I suggest a call to Swansea to find out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can probably check if its mot’d online, sure i have before.

Onzadog
    Free Member

PPPPPPP

DickBarton

Then do the right thing and get home and help sort it out…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips… I for one am astounded you don’t have an organised filing system for all such documents! 😯

funkynick

You can check the cars MOT status from the Directgov website… although that probably puts you through to the DVLA website, I forget, but all you need is the details on the cars V5.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I for one am astounded you don’t have an organised filing system for all such documents!

Too busy pixel peeping for noise 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Then do the right thing and get home and help sort it out…

At cost of a day’s wages…

geoffj

Book the Prius in for an MOT near you in Aldershot. As long as it being driven to the MOT station it is OK. If it passes all well and good, if it doesn’t, leave it there for them to fix while you are away and make alternative arrangement for getting to the airport.

Oh and a couple of reminders in your diary work wonders.

uplink
    Free Member

Cardiff?

Free collection & delivery

http://www.cardiffmotcentre.co.uk/

You just need to apply yourself a bit fella

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Doh!

At least it will be cheap.

Road tax on the 110? £435.
    On the BM? £245.

£680 a year on road tax.

Ouch.

molgrips
    Free Member

Road tax on Prius £15. The Passat was a shock tho, £175 or something.

Nice one uplink! I’ve got her booked into a 45 min express place tomorrow 11am, for the Passat. It’s still taxed so that’s the one we’ll use. Prius can wait til we get back by which point it’ll be out of tax by a few days, but it’s better to have it at home without tax or MOT than be driving around without a tax disc in the window I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips… I for one am astounded you don’t have an organised filing system for all such documents!

Serious?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It has to be your nearest MOT station. You cannot drive it to one miles away.

uplink
    Free Member

There is no requirement to drive it to the nearest MOT station

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wrong, you can select any MOT station you like providing it is being driven to a pre-booked MOT. It’s not unheard of for people to drive un-MOT’d cars several hundred miles after buying them un-mot’d and not wanting to trailer them back.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t there a ‘within reason’ clause tho?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Has that changed? I am sure it used to be the nearest one. Checked on the direct gov website and it doesn’t specify

uplink
    Free Member

Has that changed?

No

Isn’t there a ‘within reason’ clause tho?

No

philconsequence
    Free Member

TJ in false statement shocker!
    😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

every day is a school day. I am sure it used to be nearest but there is nothing on the direct gov site – and no reasonable clause that I could see either.

Both are obviously common misapprehensions tho from a bit of googling

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed. And I bet you’d have to convince Mr Plod if he pulled you up too.

Don’t think there’s a need for a “within reason” clause – all it’s doing is getting your MOT, they can still pull you for driving an unsafe vehicle with or without the MOT, so all the MOT really is is a ticket you have to get from a government office. They would struggle to justify enforcing “the nearest” IMO.

br
    Free Member

I reckon that whoever came up with co2 system runs an older big engined car:

Mine – V8 535i = £205
    Wife’s – 2.0td Freelander = £405

I am though disappointed in you molgrips, been a techie I’d have thought you’d have some iPhone link through to a scheduling spreadsheet or the like.

geoffj

TandemJeremy – Member
    POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Have you a link for that TJ?

Edit: Oops, already covered 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m a techie, but a massively disorganised one. To be honest I cba with home IT solutions any more, what with work and biking.

geoffj

To be honest I cba with home IT solutions any more, what with work and biking.

Wot, like putting a reminder in your computer diary 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

What computer diary?

geoffj

Or a paper one then.

uplink
    Free Member

I just wait for the tax reminder & then pay for the MOT & then pay for the insurance & then pay for the ………….. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

do i win a point for reminding everyone that no-one has paid road tax since 1937?

molgrips
    Free Member

No you bloody well don’t you smartarse 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

do i win a point for reminding everyone that no-one has paid road tax since 1937?

How do you manage to get a refund on something you haven’t paid then? 🙂

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065248.pdf

Tracker1972
    Free Member

uplink – Member

How do you manage to get a refund on something you haven’t paid then?

You don’t, but as your link proves, you can get a refund on your vehicle tax (or vehicle excise duty as they more formally call it)…

But you knew that already, didn’t you 😉
    I Pay Road Tax is a fun read at times 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Well Mrs Grips has stepped up and got both cars MOTed today at the express place. Tax will be applied for online tonight, will be on the doormat when we get back. Sorted!

Spongebob
    Free Member

The Passat was a shock tho, £175 or something.

That sounds a bit steep. Is it a gas guzzling model?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Car tax’ is closed to new replies.