• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by toby.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car Stereo – moon on a stick?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I know very little/nothing about car stereos so thought I’d ask some questions here.

Is there such a thing as a dab car stereo with new aerial, will play music from android phone via Bluetooth and have a microphone and also work as a hands free kit? Oh, and cost as little as possible, ideally under 3 figures.

willard

Hmmmm

Apart from the DAB part, Alpine are worth a look. I bought a UTE-72BT for my van and liked it so much I bought another for my old Passat. Hands free was easy as anything to set up, just pair and it’s away with music over bluetooth and the voice stuff.

This one at Halfords (http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-mvh-270dab-car-radio looks promising, but does not have bluetooth. Actually, a review of the cheaper ones suggests that, if you want Bluetooth, you can’t really get DAB and vice versa.

Sorry Onza..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks. The Bluetooth OR dab is an interesting point.

bigbeard
    Free Member

This seems to support both bluetooth and DAB – but does cost a bit more (and you will also have to buy an aerial):

Pioneer DEH-X4700DAB

bigbeard
    Free Member

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/ is also a good place to get DAB car stereo’s and aerials.

flyingmonkeycorps

I got a Sonichi SB-50 from Halfords a year or so ago (recommended by someone on here) which does exactly what you want and was about £85. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be around any more.

A quick look suggests that you may well have to pick one or t’other to get in budget.

righog
    Free Member

This fits your needs I have one it is truly brilliant needs a separate ariel.

£129 Pure highway at Halfords

does DAB Bluetooth and hands free. All Hassle free, means I am happy in a cheap car.

welshfarmer

🙂 Well asked. I haqve been looking for the same for a couple of months. Ideally though I want one with just the DAB (OK if it has FM TOO) and BT streaming. I think the need for a CD player is well in the past and they could make the units about 5 cm deep without it, thus making installation much easier and with no easy way for dust and stuff to get inside the unit.

The Halfords one could work but I think I will hold out for one that is DAB and BT/plug in multimedia only. Not found one yet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like the aerial makes a big difference. Needs a whole load of research all of its own I think.

righog
    Free Member

This is the aerial I used. No problem fitting to unit, and just tucked the lead away in the headlining.

Aerial

willard

I thought that DAB was on its way out anyway, with DAB+ taking over in the medium term?

Onzadog
    Free Member

DAB+? Is that DAB29 or DAB650b?

DaveP

I have a kenwood one that does all of the above.
    Works ok, seems a little buggy. Comes with DAB aerial that sticks on inside of windscreen.

toby

I’ve got a Blaupunkt Nashville radio which does DAB, with the Blaupunkt USB / Bluetooth module plugged in the back of it and tucked away behind the dashboard. I’ve also got their own DAB / FM aerial connected. It was all pretty pricey, but it seems to be discontinued and it looks like you might pick up something in your budget with some careful bidding on ebay. It also takes a USB memory stick, which you can play MP3s from.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car Stereo – moon on a stick?’ is closed to new replies.