Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Car sick 2 year old
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not that bad really. With a driver with a light touch I’ll be generally ok in the back of a car, however I normally go in the front just in case. With flying, I can manage sometimes without pills but usually ok without them. However on some flights landing makes me pretty nauseated. But you just learn to deal with it. The thing that helps the most is that relief is instant when you stop. Sometimes if it’s been bad I’ve had a short hangover of feeling crappy, but the nausea does go.

Oh, one more thing to consider – heat. Heat is bad. Some people put on coat, hat and gloves and sit there with the heating on full. Makes me feel sick just thinking about it! If you’re bundling your daughter up, try not doing so. Just give her a blanket or a coat over the top that she can raise or lower if she wants.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Useful tips to try. She wasn’t bundled up, car heating on at 20C iirc, daughter in a thin cardigan. She asked for a blanket and had one over her legs for a bit, think she just wanted something cuddly rather than more warmth.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh great…. Sat in the car on the drive…. Car stinks of puke…. Little girl asleep after latest projectile puking.
    Only on the move for 15 mins before it happened.
    Car heating set to 20C but not sure car had even warmed up yet.
    Little girl has a coat on…I considered removing it as I put her in the car but since it was only a short journey I just unzipped it.
    3 hours since she’d eaten an early, large lunch.
    No sun visor on the window, no strong sun either.

She seemed happy right up until 30 seconds before… Cough, cough… You ok sweet heart? Cough, bleurgh! No daddy! Bleurgh, tears.

The amount of vomit that comes out from a small child is difficult to comprehend.

Oh well she’ll hopefully feel better in a few minutes and can go straight in the bath…. Then I get to clean the car seat, and the car, again.

I know it’s not her fault, but they doesn’t make it easier to deal with.

johndoh
    Free Member

One of our daughters used to suffer (she once threw up in a brand new car and when it went back three years later it still smelled of sick).

We found that the following helped:

No looking down (ie, no colouring books, Kindles etc).

Travel sickness tablets

Those travel bands

Look out of the window when she starts to feel sick

Open the window for fresh air

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Either she looks outside, close eyes and sleep or buy portable games unit.

Ears and eyes clashing with signals.

spooky_b329

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>Re driving – it’s not the overall speed that’s the problem necessarily, it’s changes of direction or speed. So you need to drive extremely smoothly. Brake very gently, and only ever move the wheel slowly. This takes good anticipation, and it will also limit your overall speed of course on windy roads. I’ve been with people who’ve made me sick not by going fast or even braking hard, just by coming on the brakes too quickly. Often I’d rather you took a bend faster and braked less. But then with me, braking is worse than cornering – with other people it’s the other way round.</span>

This very much!  You won’t know you’ve got a choppy driving style unless someone tells you, especially as you have a nice steering wheel to hold onto and your feet are braced against the pedals 🙂

Imagine your 2yr old is standing in the boot unrestrained (or in my case, towing a couple of horses).  If you warn your passengers (or horses) of your next move, they will travel much better.  So thats gently coming off the accelerator before applying the brakes, approach bends a little wide and then use the extra width created so you can turn in gradually, and when accelerating, ease off the power so that when you change gear, there is no hesitation in the cars acceleration.

I can tow our trailer at normal car speeds by using this technique, however I have travelled with a couple of other people who will crawl along at 25mph but are overly reliant on the brakes, turn in suddenly and are hesitant, and the horses will stumble about all over the place.  Its literally like having a nearly full glass of water on the dash and trying to avoid it slopping over.

Of course it might be nothing to do with your driving, could just be hard sports suspension with dark tinted windows, perhaps it gets a bit stuffy in the back.  I’ve felt car sick once in an overloaded car riding on its bump stops, and once or twice when the driver is particularly jerky and throws you around a bit.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Car sick 2 year old’ is closed to new replies.