Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • car shampoo for cleaning MTB? really?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just seen online that some people use car shampoo to clean their bike…anyone on here use it? is it any good, and does it **** up your discs? just thinking that some of them have a bit of wax in them….

stevemtb
    Free Member

I do (on the rare occasion it’s not just with water), can’t say I have any problems with the discs. Tend not to buy the stuff with wax, in fact it’s the cheap supermarket’s own stuff. Probably better to use than washing up liquid!!

trb
    Free Member

Yes. Used it for years. The wax help to stop mud from sticking to the bike next time out.
    I try not to get it on the discs, but have never noticed a problem when I do.

isibson
    Free Member

How peculiar… I’ve been known to use bike cleaner on my car (for cleaning out door shuts, removing muck from around windows with a small paintbrush, etc).

Now I am wondering why I never though about using Collinite 476 wax on my bike – nothing would stick to it ever again!

Lifer
    Free Member

Washing up liquid ftw, lemon fresh mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use Fenwicks Caravan cleaner..

njee20
    Free Member

Zipwax here, doesn’t affect your discs, and isn’t horrible like Muc-Off! Dirt cheap from Halfords too and lasts forever.

sofaking
    Free Member

hasnt washing up liquid got stuff in that likes messing up paint ?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s got a lot of salt in it. I used to use WUL, but find Zip Wax works better and costs less.

bdab
    Free Member

cheep supermarket car shampoo for me as well, but when i feel like livin life on the edge washing up liquid gets used.

sam_underhill

isn’t horrible like Muc-Off

is it horrible? Thier web site says….

Our unique formula contains no harmful acids, CFC’s or solvents and is fully biodegradable

Sounds ok to me. It’s convenient, helps me wash my bike quickly when I’m cold and tired. It’s just a bit expensive. Am I missing something?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

apparently its quite aggressive on bearings (the grease in them)

njee20
    Free Member

And anodising, leave it on a black ano part and see what happens.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

apparently its quite aggressive on bearings (the grease in them)

All detergents break down grease. That’s why we use them. Anyone who sprays detergents at their bearings should expect faster than normal degradation.

sam_underhill

ooo… maybe I don’t want to continue using it on my black ano frame then?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I use car shampoo, but as others have said be careful about the stuff containing wax. Nowadays I’m careful to avoid getting it near my brakes.

A good coat of wax on the frame afterwards helps prevent muck from sticking to it.

Taff
    Free Member

Use it all the time. Don’t wash my brakes with it though but may get the odd splash on it. Sometimes even use a bit of megs quick detailier on the frame too if its not shiny enough!!

njee20
    Free Member

I have used Zipwax to clean my rotors, or at least a brush with Zipwax on, and it’s made no difference at all.

smoggy
    Free Member

I use a cheap car shampoo, have done for years. I’ve never had problems….(leaves my bike smellin’ all fresh) 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘car shampoo for cleaning MTB? really?’ is closed to new replies.