Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car selling etiquette for test drives
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve never sold a car privately, having always part exchanged. What’s the collective wisdom on letting someone test drive? I’m very conscious they will – at best – have 3rd party cover only on their insurance. My insurer has advised that the person coming to see my car would need to add the car on their policy for fully comp cover. Is it the done thing to ask the prospective buyer to make sure my car is added to their policy before they come to see it?

dazz
    Free Member

I take it on a case by case thing, When asked about a test drive I say thats fine, I’ll hold onto the money, if you damage it you’ve bought it

Zedsdead
    Free Member

you take them for a test drive.

feisty
    Free Member

Ask to see there insurance certificate to ensure they have third party (if you get tugged by the police you will get 6 points as well as them for allowing them to drive your car with no insurance).

Also cash in hand to cover the bend it buy it rule.

A genuine buyer will be happy with all of that

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK cheers all. This is exactly what I needed to know.

hora
    Free Member

So how can they see the clutch/gears etc?
    You drive to a certain straight quiet location. Obviously use common sense on the person. In theory you talk, guage then its only one testdrive. Ever.

Flaperon

I took out a one day any driver policy with Norwich Union (at the time). Cost £20, I think. Told the chap who’d come to look at it (with the money) that he was welcome to test drive it if he paid for the insurance, and that I’d refund him if he bought the car. Seemed to work, ‘cos he bought it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If they have insurance…
    Take them for a drive, explaining all the positives and issues with the car. Then swap seats and let the, drive back. Important point is to take the key with you as you get out of the car and get in the passenger side.

Cougar

Toys R Us car park?

(other car parks are also available)

samuri
    Free Member

Tool up.
    Get in the passenger seat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car selling etiquette for test drives’ is closed to new replies.