Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car Scrappage Scheme
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Right so heres a question, My Audi is on its last legs and qualifies for the government scrappage scheme however i dont have the additional money for any new car. My parents do happen to have the money for a new car for themselves and have offered to use my car and give me the equivalent money i would have got in the scrappage scheme (about twice as much as the car is worth). So already starting to get a bit dodgy, how would you suggest we go about doing this as far as i can see we have 2 options:-

One they give me the money and i purchase the car for them then "sell" them the car

Two the car is registered under my name but i share the name with my dad and the car is still registered at my parents house because i didnt change the details on the V5 when i moved out 2 years ago. Which could mean my dad could trade it in himself.

So anyone who can offer an opinion would be appeciated

kinda666
    Free Member

Option 2! No brainer!

jon1973
    Free Member

Option 1 would mean that you'd have an addtional owner straight away on the log book which would reduce any future resale value.

Option 2 sounds a bit like fraud to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if there is no date of birth whos to say it wasnt just your dads car ……

momo

How about option 3 – sell the car to your parents BEFORE they trade it in.

kinda666
    Free Member

Name on log book is your Dad's name so it must be his car! Can't really see the point sending the log book off to have the same name and address put back on it, but an extra owner added, think of the carbon footprint!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I traded in my old car for my wife's new one and have a couple of pointers from my experience.

The current keeper must be the person doing the trade with the garage (that'll be you).
    The current keeper must have had the car at least 12 months – you cant sell / reregister it in the parents name and they then scrap it.
    The new car has the be registered in the same name as the old car.
    The finance (if any) deal (and credit rating) had to be in the name of the owner of the new car.
    The insurance cost more as the policy was in my wife's name but the car was in my name. I've no idea why this happens – seems like any excuse to charge us more?

Apart from that it was straightforward.

cp

momo- you need to own the car for a year before you can 'scrap' it on the scheme!

el_diablo
    Free Member

I'm the sales manager at a car dealership so should be able to help here. The new car has to be registered exactly the same as the scrap car, exactly the same letter for letter. If you and your dad have the same name and this appears on the v5 (log book) then you should be able to pretend the scrap car is your dad's. There's no point in you buying the car and then sending the v5 to the dvla to change it for the same name and address (as stated earlier). You're only stumbling block will be if you filled the date of birth box in on the v5 for your scrapper when you bought it. The dealer will have to inform the dvla of the new car owner's dob. If they don't match it could cause issues. Having said that, it would be the dealer who would loose out because they wouldn't get their money from the govt. The dealers have to keep the paperwork for 10 years for audit purposes but the money is paid first and then taken back if issues arise later.

So in short, if you and your dad share first and last names, option 2

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice guys, okay second question is it best to keep this quiet from the dealer?

Smee
    Free Member

Registration document doesn't have the owners name on it, it has the registered keeper. They are often different people.

daveob
    Free Member

Do Not tell the dealer! They will not honour the deal. I can't remember if you need a date of birth on the cars doccuments, but if you don't option 2, it has to be, but get your dad to trade it as his.

alpin
    Free Member

car scrappage schemes are a load of bollocks. designed to prop up a failing industry, but sold to us under this green banner for which the governments think we are such suckers.

how is it 'greener' produce a new car and then scrap the old car?

to produce a new Mercedes C-class uses up the same amount of energy needed to power a typical four family household for 11 years*. then you have the costs of removing the old car from the system.

would it not be better to repair the old cars and simply produce fewer new cars, thus reducing the amount of crap belched out by the array of heavy industries involved in car production. how about spending the 'X' million £/$/€'s on improving public transport and reducing our reliance on the 'car'.

politics is all bollocks really.

*according to an article i read in a German paper, the name of which i can't remember.

transporter13
    Free Member

on a personal note…..keep trading in your old cars as it provides me with work 🙂 ..Im a transporter driver that at the moment gets his work by picking up the scrappage scheme cars and taking them to the depoloution sites to be crushed….some of the cars that ive picked up so far have been surprising to say the least 😯

dertmerchant
    Free Member

sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if the 'car' scrappage scheme is applicable to vans/light commercial vehicles?

transporter13
    Free Member

yes…anything under 3.5 tonnes can qualify as long as it meets all the other criteria

alpin
    Free Member

depoloution sites

surely, that's an oxymoron.

but yipee, all the factory workers go back into the factory…. for three months till the superficial demand recedes since all those lucky enough to have spare cash lying around have made use of the scheme. when/if the economy does recover the demand within the car manufacturing industry will not bounce back at the same rate as there are now lots of people driving around in new cars which they simply would have (without government interference) bought later on WITH THEIR OWN MONEY!

plus the knock-on effect for smaller businesses involved in the making good of older cars suffers. but as long as Mary has a new car and the big **** off multinationals are kept happy and the politicians backs/egos are rubbed and their pockets well lined who gives a ****…?

transporter13
    Free Member

depoloution sites…..read european metal recycling 😉

rich-6
    Free Member

Its predicted to be up mid october so if your wanting to take advantage better be early think theres only £150,000,000 left in the pot 😆 there was £300mil

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car Scrappage Scheme’ is closed to new replies.