Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Car roll call – have you ever rolled a car?
  • iDave
    Free Member

Best I can do is a mini on it’s side in a field and a cycling team car in a ditch

fadda

Upside down in a formula Ford at Castle Coombe count?

Underhill
    Free Member

A 1977 Mitsubishi Colt barrel rolled down a country road at 60mph. Climbed out with a bruised knee. First & last time I did that.

samuri
    Free Member

Nope. I’ve been in a car which teetered on rolling though, we were up on two wheels for what felt like half an hour. My side was the up side too. Coming back down was the worst bit, I thought I’d broken my coccyx.

Onzadog
    Free Member

K plate pug 206. Off side, missed the roof, near side, then back onto all four wheels. Rolled to a gentle stop outside the local fire station. Injuries? Fabric burn on my right elbow from the faux denim interior.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I rolled a go kart, which is an impressive thing to be able to do supposedly.

Cougar

Mate of mine did it in a go-kart also, got t-boned on a corner.

Never rolled or been in a roll, but saw one about 50m in front of me on the motorway once; that’s about as close as I’d like to get, ideally.

dawson

yep, Toyota Yaris – a fence post also went through the back window and straight between the 2 front seats – any where nearer the drivers seat and I don’t think I’d still be here.

They reckon that I’d managed to get out of the car and was trying to lock the door when they found me (had ended up in the middle of a field – gone backwards through the fence and then rolled down into the field), which was impressive considering the state of the car.

grum
    Free Member

No, but I very nearly did – got a Clio stuck right on the edge of a big grass banking (two wheels over the edge), at the very end of the public road at the north end on the Isle of Jura. I think the breakdown service might have taken a while (!), but luckily we found a friendly farmer with a tractor to drag it away from the edge.

xiphon
    Free Member

Binned it into the corner, and rolled down a hill into a field. Ended upside down, still strapped in. Just a few cuts, nothing major.

Only car accident I have ever had (where I was behind the wheel).

Parents needed a new car anyway…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A mate is building up a rally car and wants me to be his co-driver… therefore it’s only a matter of time 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

*takes out life policy on TSY*

LHS
    Free Member

Twice unfortunately.

1st (not my fault) – got hit by someone coming out of a side road which sent the car spinning across the road until it hit the kerb and it flipped me onto my roof (not quite a roll).

2nd (my fault) – driving too fast along a country road at night and I couldn’t see a load of mud all over the road which again spun me but this time through a wooden fence and into a downhill sloping field where the car rolled a few times before stopping in a little stream.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave you could be quids in… I told my brother of my plan…

‘You’re getting in a rally car… with that nutter?!’

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

a cycling team car in a ditch

Lol – how tf did that happen? Were the bikes ok? And was it shown on Eurosport? 🙂

I put my parents’ car in a ditch in snow. My mum still thinks it was because the snow was slippery. It was, which is why I was messing about deliberately sliding the car around…

I was in a car that IanB stuffed into a hedge once – not going very fast mind.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Me as a young driver. Single car width hump backed bridge on the road between Henley and Twyford which is always good for a little jump in Mum’s car.

I landed on a very surprised XR3i coming the other way.

iDave
    Free Member

I was thinking more of “you’re letting TSY give you directions, at speed!”

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Been in a rolled car but in back seat as passanger.

Got thrown out of back window whilst car was upside down, knocked out them came round about 100 yards down the road behind the car.

When I stood up I was facing down the road where we came from in the middle of the night and as I couldn’t see the car I had no idea what I was doing there. Just stood in the road for a minute wondering if I was dreaming.

As I turned around I could see the car up the road and it came back to me.

Apart from some cuts to my hands there was nothing wrong with either me or the other 4 people in the car.

Very lucky, police said they were expecting fatalities when they arrived.

wwaswas

rolled my first car – an Opel Manta on way to work.

young, going to fast, wet road 🙁

Went off the road and down a bank, taking out a small tree on the way. If the tree had been bigger I think it would have been a different story.

My overriding memory is looking up through the glass sunroof and seeing ground rushing past.

they had to use a crane to get it out of the field.

Del

put a vw polo on it’s side on dartmoor in snow. yes, i was 17.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yup – 1991, rolled a Fiesta XR2 after swerving (at high speed) to avoid a rabbit in the road – lost the back end and hit the curb, flipping it on to it’s roof.

Only injury was a small cut on my finger whilst crawling out. Every single body panel on the car was bent. At the time, for a fleeting moment, I wondered whether T-Cut would get the marks out if I could only get the car back on it’s wheels 🙂

Daniel
    Free Member

Rolled a Fiat Panda into a field whilst young and stupid. Collected the stereo and cassettes off the back seat and drove home. Twisted the body shell and buggered the steering. It went to the scrap yard.

Put a Landy on its side in a competition and was a passenger in another that rolled during a comp safari. Started straight up again to finish the lap but the engine conked out soon after.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave, how darre you!… I’m the most sensible, logical and trustworthy person he knows!

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I also rolled the same car down the Whitcliff road into Ludlow lots of times (by that I mean driving in neutral). One day I decided to turn the engine off as well. I found out that you only have one or two brake presses until the servo brakes stop working, which almost resulted in a roll of the kind you are talking about 😯

philconsequence
    Free Member

so you’re all the reasons my insurance costs so much? the state of the youthIT professionals today!

NZCol

Yep my Pug 205 GTi on black ice. Spun it and was happily going backwards into a ditch when i collected the large tree stump which flicked me up and over. Was quite sore really. Police car that turned up to ‘help’ went in to exactly the same place and finished the Pug off !!
    My other car was rolled by my dad, thanks dad.

Rolled a Land Rover trialling.
    All the way over slowly and back on it’s wheels.
    It would have been OK to carry on driving, except that a few seconds later the petrol spilling out of the carburettors landed on the exhaust manifolds and caught fire.
    We soon had the fire out, but by that time a load of wiring was melted.

iDave
    Free Member

MG – mountain road in Tuscany, car coming the other way in middle of road. Choice of driving into rocky ditch on one side, or rocky big FO drop on the other side. No bikes were harmed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rolled a baby suzuki 4×4 in africa. Swerved to avoid a bird on the road by reflex, started to skid, didn’t power into the skid so it spun and flipped. Every panel dented, roof 4 inch lower, no glass in it but landed back on its wheels and drove away. Sorry Mr Hertz – but he did send us a new one to our hotel

alfabus
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    …a cycling team car in a ditch

I’ve often wondered about this… were there bikes on the roof? did you manage to roll the bike over so that the car was resting on top of the bikes, like the bikes had a roofrack with a car on it?

that would be cool

Dave

molgrips
    Free Member

Was this following a race? I’d be worried about the car coming the other way and the cyclists…

iDave
    Free Member

Nothing exciting, it was to get top of the course, 1991 MTB worlds. I may have been hoofing it a bit…..

20 years ago, no need to worry now

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, as per the “what cars have you owned thread” Renault 5 GT Turbo, slightly damp country lane, bit of lag from the turbo around a sharp(ish) bend which headed towards a farm gate, boost kicked in and Ispan and rolled down the small drop tipping the car onto it’s roof.. all at an impresive speed of about 25mph.. I really should have been wearing clown shoes, a huge mop of red hair, yellow blazer and some rather fetching red lipstick such was the comedy moment.
    Damage to my ego = huge
    Damage to the car = passenger side nurfed in front and rear screen broken
    Damage to me GF (at the time) = sliced open arm and twisted left knee

ski
    Free Member

Me and six mates in the back of a Ford Pickup with a fibreglass roof, rolled at about 45mph on a narrow country lane!

No real dammage to anyone apart from me needing a foots worth of stiches as one of my arms peeled open!

The driver did not know the country lane(driving too fast into a tight bend) and with the extra weight on the back, managed to do two complete rolls and wedge it in a ditch!

Also rolled a modded Robin Reliant, had a roll cage and harness, we did it 20 years before TG tried, but that was done for fun, went a stack better without any bodywork 😉

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Not a car but I put one of these on it’s side 😳

Cougar

Yup, as per the “what cars have you owned thread” Renault 5 GT Turbo,

I don’t really need to add anything further to this, do I… (-:

Yes.

Rolled my mother’s car. Broke the steering wheel and rear-view mirror with my head. Came to upside down thinking ‘well this is remarkably comfortable considering!’. Thought I’d better get out, but I suspected that the door wouldn’t open so tried to get out through the driver’s door window. Couldn’t, so got out through the passenger door window instead.

Once I’d recovered my senses it became obvious that I couldn’t get out the drivers door window was because it was only about 2″ high.

No one hurt except me. Phew!

MrTall
    Free Member

I had a mate who was caught red handed by the Police trying to push his car back onto 4 wheels after it landed on its side after he attempted to take a cheeky country lane route home after about 14 pints at the local rugby club.

Cost him an 18 months ban. Think he learnt his lesson though.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Went past the Kings Arms in Morecambe on 2 wheels in a Bedford Rascal after the lad driving clipped a traffic island whilst overtaking a line of traffic. Good job there was 5 of us in the back acting as ballast!

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s pretty amazing the number of people I know who’ve rolled cars in some nasty circumstances and most walk out uninjured. Testament to engineering and just how tough the human body is, and a bit of luck. Tends to be the abrupt halts that kill people, not the bouncing through the air/along the floor accidents.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Car roll call – have you ever rolled a car?’ is closed to new replies.