Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • car radios – to dab or not to dab & recommendations please
  • MadBillMcMad

I am after a new car radio.

I would like it to have:
    USB & possibly SD
    Bluetooth

I am iFree so not bothered about iSupport but I guess most come with that anyway.

Should I get DAB to future proof it or worry about that when the FM death knoll peals ?

I am not after top end gear. £150 tops I reckon.

meesterbond

DAB really isn’t the future, it’s ancient technology (in the whole scheme of things) still has poor uptake and even those with a vested interest in it succeeding think the 2015 FM switch-off date is highly ambitious.

Buy one if it does what you want it to now, but I don’t think FM will be going anywhere in the near future. Personally, I’d expect DAB to be obsolete before FM is.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

good question….

Two points

1) Would you buy a DAB radio now (and we have 4) which wasn’t DAB+ compatible, given that is the way many countries have gone…

2) Will streaming audio be a better solution long term? eg I know have an iPhone on 3, with unlimited internet included which can bluetooth directly to my car audio… add TuneIn radio… and I have…

jp-t853

I have DAB and it is brilliant for me. I live in Cumbria so could only pick up a handful of FM chanels and Radio 5 makes your ears bleed.

Six music is a real bonus for me too. I find I can travel from Cumbria to Suffolk and not lose reception at all. It gets patchy in parts of North Yorkshire but it will automatically switch to FM. If it is a sensibly priced option I would not hesitate to get it.

lodious
    Free Member

Personally, i’m a big fan of 6 music, and that’s not available on FM, so DAB has been useful to me. If I only listened to R1/2/3/4 I wouldn’t bother. I’ve tried streaming audio, and found it far too unreliable in rural areas to work for me.

At £150, I wouldn’t think too much about the future, but personally, I’ve enjoyed having DAB in the car.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yep just for 6music.

Cougar

I don’t think you’ve anything to worry about in terms of future-proofing, either with DAB or FM.

The compelling reason to go with DAB, for me, is station choice. I don’t know where I’d be without Planet Rock and the Absolute series. I’m in a courtesy car with FM only today and it feels like I’ve left something at home.

MadBillMcMad

Indeed its Planet Rock & 6 Music I would be after too.

Looks like trying to get DAB & Bluetooth really puts the price up.

decisions decisions.

What models do you guys have ?

scaredypants
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘car radios – to dab or not to dab & recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.