Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Car Racks, what is legal ?
  • sarahkeast
    Free Member

I am newly back in the UK and have been looking around at ways to carry my bike, other than inside my car. I own a Yak 3 bike trunk rack which I plan to use, it carries the bikes behind the car, not way up in the air like some I have seen.

I know I will have to get a number plate to hang on the bikes, but what about lights ? I have seen some cars with similar racks with a full light board and some with just number plate. Is there a definitive answer anywhere ? lbs ? police station ? online ?

Thanks for any advice.

Sarah

RealMan
    Free Member

I suppose you would only need rear light things if you were planning on driving at night as well?

Mat

You need the lights during the day to show indicators and brakes though no?

rolfharris
    Free Member

You must either have the bikes elevated above the lights and number plate or a lighting and number plate board- people need to see your indicators.

munkster
    Free Member

I suppose you would only need rear light things if you were planning on driving at night as well?

I think brake lights are advisable during the day too 😉

[edit]you guys are quick[/edit]

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If the lights/plate are obscured by the bikes/wheels then you need a light board and plate.

stumpy01

I believe that your lights and your number plate have to be fully visible.
    Not sure whether plod would really pull you up on it though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Teaches me to post in a thread about cars… Never driven one myself.

nbt

Not sure whether plod would really pull you up on it though.

One of our lads got done or a bike obscuring the number plate. As has been mentioned, you should have lights *and* number plate visible. Easier to get a thing that does both

petrieboy

it's less about getting tugged by the police and more about what happens when some clown crashes into the back of you – anything that might help someone avoid taking responsibility for smashing your bikes and car is worth avoiding!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

light board is about £15. a lot less than the fine and points you get if collared for not having one..

Biffer
    Free Member

Hands up here as well for being 'done' for obscuring the number plate. The plod weren't worried about the lights, they just wanted to see my number plate if I went through a camera !

As mentioned above get a lightening board 🙂

sarahkeast
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Light board isnt the issue, it is getting the [new] car wired to work the light board that is spendy. oh well.

I still dont get it with those bike racks that hike the bikes up super high, dont they get damaged, and isnt he wind resistance/mpg effect as bad as a regular roof rack ?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

a socket is about £7. Easy to wire up. What kind of car would it be fitted to? Some need a bypass (to prevent the car ECU from thinking there is a bulb out) but that's only £20.

stumpyjon

The mpg is affected by the bikes, they're sometimes unstable and can be a b*gger to get up and down. I've recently gone to a towbar mounted Thule rack, bloomin expensive but worth every penny (lights and number plate board integrated).

As Zeds says it's not that difficult to fit a lighting socket. Halfords do the kits cheaply enough, you just need access to the wiring looms in the boot of the car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Car Racks, what is legal ?’ is closed to new replies.