Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Car Q- can I retro fit cruise control?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Out of curiousity, my Pug 406 Est. 1.9TD doesn’t have it and motorways need it (my foot is heavy at times it seems). Can it be done? How hard/difficult?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

No. In a word!

samuri
    Free Member

No real idea but my guess would be, fairly easy but hugely expensive. A quick google reveals you need an actuator which costs around 200 quid, and a new stalk which can cost up to 400 quid.

Try these guys http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/conradanderson-prices/cc-pr-prices.htm#AP300

Nah, my prices are wrong, I reckon around 300 quid for the lot if you get a dash mounted command module.

Hairychested
    Free Member

That’s what I’m looking at right now. I’ll be driving to Poland later this year and it’s some 2000 miles on motorways going there and back, so it’s either a CC or a brick on the accelerator.

druidh
    Free Member

It would probably be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with it fitted.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I can’t afford a better car, the insurance is an issue (6 points make a hell of a difference), the Pug’s been good to me and my wife chose the colour. £300 isn’t that much I suppose…

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are driving through Germany you just put the foot to the floor anyway. 😉

Seriously though if you are heading along the A2 in Germany it’s pretty damn busy (nearly as bad as the M6 near B’ham) and you won’t get much use out of a cruise control anyway. Once into Poland you’d be better off on a mountainbike!

samuri
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a car now that didn’t have cruise control. Both our cars have it now and my last car (extremely thirsty coupe) had it and it’s great. Economy is better, long drives are far more relaxing and your license is safe.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

If you are driving through Germany you just put the foot to the floor anyway.
    …and 2 days later you’ll get to a ton!

dyna-ti

Measure the distance between the accelerator pedal when pressed and the bottom of your steering wheel

Find a stick 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

And if I can’t find a long enough one, post a photo of my bike here and you’ll give me plenty 😉

ji
    Free Member

Have a look for the parts in a breakers yard – loads of old 406s are still around for spares as they are a popular taxi car.

robbo1234biking

My Dad got the parts to convert his Volvo S40 for around £100 but was a couple of years ago now. no idea of current prices but it is only an actuator on the accelerator pedal and obviously the stalk. Might be worth going into a 406 dealer and checking on the prices

neilb67
    Free Member

Yes you can.. We had a VW LT van that we had a kit fitted to and it worked very well. I will try and find the number of the guy who fitted ours for you.

waihiboy
    Free Member

as above it wont be that hard to fit (im sure other models have CC as standard) just its going to cost

sturmey
    Free Member

Pedal interface by siemens we use them at work for increasing engine speed to run equipment.

5lab

yes – i fitted aftermarket (magicspeed by waeco) cruise to my diesel mondeo. the kit cost about £120 from ebay, fitting took a couple of hours. Easy peasy, works really well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAECO-MagicSpeed-Car-Cruise-Control-with-Vacuum-Servo_W0QQitemZ280336548372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item41455c4214&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

uses a vacuum to pull the throttle cable based on a pulse from the speed sensor (which can be picked up behind the stereo)

Hugh

Terrydactyl

Yes,

Buy from Waeco http://www.waeco.com get an MS 50 , you can get em cheap on german ebay cos they are made in D.

5lab

yeah its worth noting I only went the waeco route because the mondeo cruise control wasn’t available on diesels, so aftermarket was the only route. in some cars its as simple as plugging the stalk in

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have driven vans with them retro-fitted – it is a little switch that sits atop the gear stick on the ones I have seen.

freakcrab
    Free Member

It’s possible on some VW group cars. Simple as replacing the indicator stalk and letting the engine management know that the cruise control has been installed.

Terrydactyl

Also you can get a kit from audiovox http://www.audiovox.com same idea as waeco probably a bit cheaper, get these on US Ebay, the trick here is to smuggle them in under cover of daylight to avoid import tax

sootyandjim
    Free Member

For cars that use the CANbus electrical system its usually pretty easy to install a compatible after-market cruise control, nigh on ‘plug and play’.

I believe the 406 had CANbus fitted after the update in 2001.

andywhit
    Free Member

As above it’s quite easy with lots of VW cars, not sure about Pugs though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Retrofitting of the CAN bus type of pug CC was aborted after, for an unknown reason, it had several cases of triggering the airbags! I’m sure you can still get kits, but anyway the OPs car can’t do that as its the 1.9TD and is not an HDi and therefore it’s mechanical injection/throttle setup.

However you can get systems that do it, as above.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well **** me sideways, I never knew those kind of kits were available, and always thought it’d be a more complex ECU process!

petrieboy

if your model and spec of car had it as a possible option when new it could be pretty easy. i investigated just this when i bought mrs petrieboys Zafira. its a top of the line model and i was advised by the owners forums that the wiring would all be there and with a bit of luck, it would probably already be switched on in the ECU so probably wouldn’t even require a visit to the dealer.
    a new stalk with cruise buttons was £30 from the dealer, but when i went to the dealer to buy it, they offered to fit it for £90 all in!! a good deal cheaper than the price of the factory option!! and saved me an afternoons effort.
    a trawl of the forums should find an answer one way or another

brant
    Free Member

Steve Wade (orange) used to make something involving thumbshifters and bits of cable, I see to remember.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Can only comment on Merc & VW but they both require no more than a new indicator stalk and a reprogramme as mentioned above. That gives you a factory standard fitting. We used to do the old T4 for about £100-£150.

They are pre wired for it which makes fitting a doddle.

Not sure about the Pug’s. They dont have the best reputation for wiring tbh

timber

an old works transit we just kept one of the sledgehammers in the cab for long journeys

van was pretty knacked, even with bottom half of the accelerator pedal cut-off the fastest it would go was a little over 60 and left the hammer on for gear changes to keep it going

Hairychested
    Free Member

The wiring on mine is, well, interesting. I’ll see if I can get it cheaply.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I love those folk who just wade in and say “no” straight away with no knowledge! I don’t have any knowledge other than I know some folk who have done it with Mitsubishi Galants. Looks like you’ve got your answer above though

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Car Q- can I retro fit cruise control?’ is closed to new replies.