Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Car Problem – Dash went bonkers, should I worry?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Driving home last night in the fast lane of the M1, and without warning every light on the dashboard came on, all the dials went to max, then zero, then max, then everything went off (on the dash) and then came back on normal.

All the mpg/trips etc have reset but the odometer has remained at the correct reading.

Nothing else happened and the car didnt operate and differently, should I worry?

Ta

kayak23

Perhaps. Get it looked at would be my advice.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what car?

Drac

Driving home last night in the fast lane

Best don the suit of asbestos.

Was it a peugeot by chance?

spooky_b329

You can make many Fords (I’ve done it on a 52 plate Mondeo and a 53 plate Fusion, I think it worked on my 56 plate Transit as well) do this as a self test, holding down the two odometer/clock pins whilst turning the ignition on. It resets the trip at the same time. (reason for doing it is it lets you go through the fault codes etc)

Obviously thats not what you did, but if it was a Ford it sounds like it was doing a dash/dial test.

TheFlyingOx

Sounds like your alternator might be about to throw in it’s hand.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

was it very wet?

Stuuey

+ 1 for the alternator. Flat battery will get you next.

hels
    Free Member

Electrics ? Check the earthing belt under the battery ?

kimbers

focus by any chance ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry its a 54 plate Mondeo diesel. Was dry at the time, doing about 80 lights on, no Air Con etc, heater on low etc. Was a bit windy though

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

If it’s a ford as kimbers and spooky say then I would also say self test. If not then get a chain garage to do a winter garage. These are usually free and will flag up either an alternator prob (probably) or battery issue

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was thinking focus too. the plug which connects the dash is notorios. replaced at dealer for a tenner; not a recall!! 🙄

jp-t853

I was reading it and new it would be a Ford.

Just wait until everything goes off including windscreen wipers, horn and lights when you come home one night and you have been in the house for half an hour.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So is it alternator or battery then? I dont want to go changing the alternator to then find its the battery, also I dont want to change the battery then to get that drained by a knackered alternator…

hora
    Free Member

How old is the battery? If its the original I’d replace that first as its an easy fix and one you can do yourself within 10mins.

Plus – if it is the original it’d be better to anyway as winter driving puts a strain on batteries.

TheFlyingOx

So is it alternator or battery then? I dont want to go changing the alternator to then find its the battery, also I dont want to change the battery then to get that drained by a knackered alternator…

Get a multimeter and see what the current (or voltage? dunno, I have no idea about electrics) is across the battery terminals with the car running and then with it off. No idea what they should be for a ford, but it’ll be on the internet somewhere and will give you an idea whether it’s battery, alternator or neither.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ll have to check all the receipts but my assumption would be that its the original battery.

Flying Ox – Ah yes should have thought of trying that one. I assume the voltage should be the same with engine on or off? ie no additional drain from the batter whilst the engine running?

weeksy

it should be more when running.

12.7v – 13.2 when off.
    14.0+ v when running.

hora
    Free Member

On my Puma you can carry out a dash diagnostic that shows the voltage running through and any error codes. Basic but it shows fluctuations with engine running etc around its ‘average’.

I’d go on a Ford forum first and post up and one of the questions being this ^ as any fluctuations or codes could show you if its the battery or alternator.

superfli
    Free Member

Sounds very similar to our old cmax, although it didn’t recover. Needed a new fuse box as apparently they get wet, bad design. Cost about £600! Car continued to have little elec glitches, so sold out for a honda

legend
    Free Member

Ah yes, my 53 Mondeo started doing this then decided to start cutting out at m-way speeds! Fairly keeps you on your toes!

A lot if the time it can be fixed by swapping out the speed sensor

tazzymtb

Good old ford. We’ve had 2 cars in the fleet with complete dash replacements, and lots of electrical faults in all of them. Dreadful heaps of carp! Check you batter earth as most of the time they are very poor indeed.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Good old ford. We’ve had 2 cars in the fleet with complete dash replacements, and lots of electrical faults in all of them. Dreadful heaps of carp! Check you batter earth as most of the time they are very poor indeed.

Yep every ford is crap!! 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Ford’s are brilliant however they are just as bad as VW’s for reliability.

rocketman
    Free Member

…every light on the dashboard came on, all the dials went to max, then zero, then max, then everything went off (on the dash) and then came back on normal.

Dashbard crashed, went into self-test mode then reset itself. Nothing to worry about.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Speed limit is 70mph

MrNutt
    Free Member

SBZ is this here you live

or are you just a

and yes, all fords are rubbish

hora
    Free Member

As is the way someone will be along shortly and say ‘Ive had my Ford 10yrs/500,000miles and never had to even change a light bulb’.

jp-t853

In my painful and expensive experience Ford’s are rubbish

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“As is the way someone will be along shortly and say ‘Ive had my Ford 10yrs/500,000miles and never had to even change a light bulb’.”

Yes me 🙂 ok maybe not 500k miles but certainly owned > 10 years worth, even more of you include family members.

bigyinn
    Free Member

sbz, how is your comment even remotely helpful or useful? Its not even funny either.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nor is yours. Didnt stop you posting it though did it…

hora
    Free Member

Funky -get it posted here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=23&mid=70159

As it could be a simple fix (i.e. no money spent)

ThePinkster

Ford – Found On Roadside Dead. 😉

They may be bad but I’m sure nothing they throw together could touch my old Fiat for trouble.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Car Problem – Dash went bonkers, should I worry?’ is closed to new replies.