Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Car parking outskirts of London for 24hrs and train in (driving from Chester)
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Hi,

Heading to central London tomorrow evening and looking to drive down from Chester, leave car on outskirts somewhere and train/tube rest of the way in. Does anyone know of a safe and not too expensive car park I could use and jump on a convenient train?

Cheers

peterfile
    Free Member

Mr Singh walked into a bank in Central London and asks for the loan officer.
    He says he is going to Europe on business for two weeks and needs to borrow £5,000.

The bank officer says the bank will need some kind of security for such a loan, so the Mr Singh hands over the keys to a new Rolls Royce parked on the street in front of the bank.

Everything checks out, and the bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan.

An employee drives the Rolls into the bank’s underground garage and parks it there.

Two weeks later, the man returns, repays the £5, 000 and the interest, which comes to £15. 41.

The loan officer says, “We are very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely, but we are a little puzzled sir. While you were away on business, we checked you out and found that you are a multi-millionaire! What puzzles us is why would you bother to borrow £5, 000?”

Mr Singh replied, “Where else in Central London can I park my car for two weeks for £15 ?

nickewen
    Free Member

Ha! Clever approach but not sure how happy the GF will be about her Mini being used as collateral!

TheBrick
    Free Member

How far are you prepared to walk? Loads of good parking Near Golders Green, 10 -12 min walk to tube.

cb

Stevenage railway station is one that I have used in the past – about £6-7 per day I think.

djglover
    Free Member

You can park for free near Hammersmith Tube, so right off A4, Z2 tube, no fees after 5:00pm in Brackenbury Village.

nickewen
    Free Member

@The Brick – cheers

Just looked up Golders Green on map and looks good. 10 mins walk to tube is no bother. Any specific car parks you know?

Thanks

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the other suggestions – I’ll have a look at those now.

toby1

Depends where you want to get to in London, if you were to park near Bushey station on a residential road you can have a short walk to the station and get into Euston by train. I believe this is still the case always used to be. But if you want to drive in further it gets more complicated with parking.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Not exactly the ‘outskirts’ but Milton Keynes to Euston is about 35 mins on the train.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cockfosters – park next to tube (used to £3 for the day, prob a bit more now) northern line in. It’s even got a funny name

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Cockfosters

*snigger*

thestabiliser
    Free Member

See

TheBrick
    Free Member

Look just north along Finchley road (north of GG but south of n.circualr). Side roads around what is know as Temple have parking. If you are right by the shops and temple there are restictions but go a few blocks over and its fine. Then jsut walk down finchley road a bobs your mothers, sisters lover.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

TBH, unless there’s a specific reason for driving, I’d be looking at the train fron Chester to Euston. A little over 2 hours and only about £30,00.

nickewen
    Free Member

Some good suggestions to look into thanks. I remember hearing cockfosters on the tannoy thing on the tube once and nearly spraying me drink all over the place!

Reason for driving is that I’m going from London back up to Newcastle (home) and don’t want to have to get the train via Chester to collect the motor – although maybe if I drive to somewhere that is en-route home I could train it from there… hmmmm.. options.

mrchrispy

personally I’d just drive to Crew and get the train all the way to London from there but i suppose that depends on where in London you are going.

stumpy01

You could park at Stanmore on the end of the Jubilee Line.

There’s a fairly large car park there (not sure how full it gets though).
    Parking charges seem quite reasonable:

http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/stanmore-stn-lul/

benp1

How far in are you happy to drive? And how far are you happy to walk to the station for free parking?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Cockfosters – park next to tube (used to £3 for the day, prob a bit more now) northern line in. It’s even got a funny name

Tut tut its the Piccadilly line…

and this is the best option M1 to M25 come off at Potters Bar and five mins to station…

sturmeyarcher

Westfield shopping centre at Shepherds Bush is £6 for 24hours, just off the A40, safe and is close to a couple of tube stations.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d just do Chester, m6 a69 is much better than the m1 or a1.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Wembley , overground and underground station
    Think it’s £2.50 parking all day

bensales
    Free Member

Alternative would be to get a train from Birmingham International. You’ll be passing it on the motorway anyway, and the train goes direct into Euston. A day in the station long stay is about 8 quid I think.

Going there on the M6 from Chester is a doddle (for relative values of ‘a doddle’ on the M6 anyway) and going you can go straight up the A42 to the M1 for Newcastle.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all. Ended up going to the NCP at Stanmore and getting the tube in and it worked a treat! My first experience of the M6 toll was interesting… It’s like a bloody autobahn that stretch. Mind you I seen a chap in a Z4 feel that wrath of a traffic cop as I drove through.

Highlight of the trip to London so far was sitting outside having a coffee this morning near Chancery Lane and watching 6-7 cyclists stop at a red light and one knobber sail straight through to which one of the 6-7 screamed “WAKNER!!!”.

stumpy01

🙂

Glad it worked out!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Car parking outskirts of London for 24hrs and train in (driving from Chester)’ is closed to new replies.