Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car oil change – starting up
  • benz
    Free Member

So, what us the technique for starting car up after oil change….on basis that draining oil will have reduced oil on bearings, etc and takes a minute to get pressure through engine again. Not a lot of wear after each change?

Trekster

Unlikely to take a minute unless oil pump is on the way out and pressure is low anyway!
    Just start as per normal but checking that there is no leak at oil filter.
    You can “prime” your oil filter by filling it before fitting unless it is fitted vertically or horizontally 😉
    There will be enough residual oil on the bearings/trapped in the system.
    Always use a quality oil filter.
    45yrs of oil changing experience 😆

benz
    Free Member

By minute I actually meant a moment, but in the past always sweated when the oil pressure light came on for a very short time. Thanks.

hot_fiat

As above. If yer starting from a freshly built engine I’ve always taken the plugs out first and cranked it over for a few minutes to flush out the assembly grease.

Have given up on flushing fluids as most are snake oil. Used forte for a while but now with everything in the garage either having long oil cooler runs, turbos or both & I wasn’t happy with the amount of ‘thinners’ it would leave in the system.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

oil drains away into the sump anyway. All you’re in an oil change is replacing the oil in the sump, so no different to starting up at any other time.

freeagent
    Free Member

^^ What Wobbliscott said –
    You are draining oil from the sump, and replacing it into the sump – so not really any different from any other engine start.

20 years of oil changing experience ;o)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Only difference being the filter is dry (usually), so depending on where the filter is in the oil circuit…..
    i.e. sump->filter->pump->engine->sump

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I always put some oil in the filter. If it fits vertically, then fill to the brim and screw on. If it fits on its side, just enough to soak the filter material.

numbnut
    Free Member

If you’re that concerned disconnect the HT or coil leads and crank until pressure comes up – that’s the method I use on my race engine after winter hibernation.
    Whatever you do don’t get distracted by a female half way through and forget to put oil back in it……

bigyinn
    Free Member

Or forget to put the sump plug back in….

cp

Or forget to put the oil fill cap back on… particularly when it’s on top of the rocker cover…

messy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, do not start the engine with the rocker cover off just to see it working. It does look cool, but perhaps not for the reason you were expecting.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oil spurts?

Mother once topped up the oil and left the filler cap off. Cue hot oil all over the bonnet inside.

She also put screenwash in the PS fluid reservoir. Thank F she didnt start it up. Cue sunday afternoon rush to find enough PS fluid to fill it up after draining the contaminated stuff out.

benz
    Free Member

Some years ago a colleague got her first new car.

One Monday she came in and started with….

“I thought I’d top my car up with water at the weekend. I’d not done it before and could not believe how much water it needed to top it up”.

Then went onto say after telling her Dad about this, they had to call a garage to get the engine drained….good for her fessing up to this.

johndoh
    Free Member

I heard a story once about someone at a fuel station trying to fill their car up with oil then, after some time of fiddling, someone came out to help them as they were clearly struggling.

Turns out that person was trying to carefully pour the oil into the dipstick hole.

benji
    Free Member

I heard a story once about someone at a fuel station trying to fill their car up with oil then, after some time of fiddling, someone came out to help them as they were clearly struggling.

Turns out that person was trying to carefully pour the oil into the dipstick hole.

Seen this one with a gentleman with a mondeo, guess that’s the problem with being on the road to skegness it seems to attract them.

paladin

Oil changes on 2200kw caterpillar V16’s I start them up with empty filters so it takes a moment to achieve pressure. Same job on Cummins 400kw engines, I fill the filters with oil before fitting. Different manufacturers, different instructions.

stu170
    Free Member

johndoh – Member I heard a story once about someone at a fuel station trying to fill their car up with oil then, after some time of fiddling, someone came out to help them as they were clearly struggling.Turns out that person was trying to carefully pour the oil into the dipstick hole.

My other half did this. Apparently she isnt a moron and can fill a car with oil. Hmmm.

As for the op me and a mate a few years back decided to run a scrapper with no oil just to see the results. Mondeo 1.8 zetec. Oil drained from sump. Filter removed. 5 mins at idle. The 10 mins ragging about the yard before it seized.
    I see no issue with just turning it over with fresh oil in now

Inbred456
    Free Member

My father in law decided once to change the oil on his felicia. So he drained the gearbox oil out and then added 4 litres of oil to the engine!!! Cue oil spewing out all the way from lincoln to Durham and a decidedly knackered gearbox. Drained what was still in the engine back down to the max mark on the dipstick and then filled the gearbox back up. Got them home but it was never right after that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car oil change – starting up’ is closed to new replies.