Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Car mot due – stupd issue.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Front washer is dead.

Switch in stalk is caput.

New stalks for my model are rare an expensive.

2 options-

1.swap the hose from the rear skoosher to the front – meaning front washers would skoosh and rear wiper would swipe.

2 12v feed off the fag lighter – push button switch in dash to the pump . Complete with dymo label 😉

Are either/both acceptable for mot – assume seconds better but first is easier 🙁

parkesie
    Free Member

Sure its not the pump?

Id just swap the hoses as a quick fix.

Been a while since i read the car mot regs but im pretty sure its only bothered with the windscreen.

billytinkle
    Free Member

What car is it? You may not need an exact replacement – another from the same range may do it?

andyl
    Free Member

Option 3: 2nd hand stalk?

Option 4: take apart stalk, wire in push button to end

Option 5: watering can & string

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I am a tester but to be honest I’m a one a month to keep my licence rather than a constant every day know every rule kinda deal, I know no 2 is perfectly acceptable and suspect no 1 is a pass too.
    My sure some proper tester will be along soon

benji
    Free Member

First is ok, as long as I can sufficient water to the screen, with an accessible control that is fine. Do yourself a favour and tell the tester that is what you have done, saves them hunting and thinking it doesn’t work if they know the way round your variety of vehicle. Second option is ok, as well, would look to wire it direct from a 12v feed rather than the cigarette lighter, as that is often used as an engine speed pickup for the emissions test, depending what order they do things in, it could cause you an issue.

Yes I am a nominated tester, otherwise known as an mot tester, or a fascist with a clipboard depending on your viewpoint on my profession.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a dti frontera. Its pretty common failure. – needs to be the dti stalk apparently not the petrol models 🙁 i have asked if i can use a vectra one but lookin at pictures i dont think it will work .

Ill swap the hoses round and stick it in . If it fails i get my spanner monkey friend to do something

Cba fishin wires through the bulk head

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’m unsure why any car company would make different control stalks for different fuel types?! Mental.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know its not pump – first thing i did was wire pump to the battery. Second was swap the pump off my land rover – didnt work

Then did a continuity test on the wire with the switch in closed position.

So its either stalk or wire. Neither ican be arse replacing – it was a bangernomic car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

water pistol and tube !!
    rewiring is the easiest and simplest to do but check the pump works first

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alot ofthis car appears to be either bespoke or off an isuzu- unfortunany this falls into the first cat . Pumps 105 quid too as its bespoke. If it was dead i was throung a 5 quid generic one on

Rewire the current switch involves taking the wheel off and the dash out ….. Not happening 🙂

benji
    Free Member

If it failed I would be appealing it.

As for different fuel types altering the control stalks, welcome to the crazy world of the automotive industry, common sense and normal logic never ever prevail.

Don’t see many frontera’s still running, common fault was the rear diff covers rotting out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tht was a series / mk1

They make fibreglass replacements for the diff pan now.

Mines appears to be alloy on the b series mk2

Rear 1/4 of my chassis is on its last legs but nothing structural just the plate behind the rear bumper.

Its invaluable in the winter though

fasthaggis

Fit that adventure roof rack and plumb it up 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha those 2 jerry cans cost as mch as the car near enough.

Stuck new tires on it earlier this year…… Otherwise id just be looking for another motor 🙂

PePPeR

I have an old Renault 5 and my washer switch is broken too, so I’ve done exactly as you suggest my rear window wiper washer switch now operates the front washer.

You’ll need to inform the MOT tester though as he won’t have a clue!

mattbee

A good few years ago my Mk 1 Astra GTE passed an mot with a random washer pump from the scrappy bunged into the bottom of a cycle water bottle zip tied in the engine bay with a length of random silicon hose to the washer jets. Bit of old speaker wire from a live to a spare switch in the dash, label made from paper and Sellotape.
    ( The Mk 1 Astra washer bottle is in the front of the passenger side front wheel arch. The strap holding it rusted through and dropped the bottle onto the wheel. At ”70″ mph. )

benji
    Free Member

How did it go Trail Rat?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mots not till monday.

Going to fanny about with it the morn. Wiz too windy and cold after i got home tonight…lit fire and sat infront of it 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Today was monday, get it all sorted ok?

trail_rat
    Free Member

No idea 🙂 ….dropped it off and flew to baku then buried head in sand. Will let you know when he lets me know 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Baku’s a popular place this time of the year my mate’s just back.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And its through.

Washer pump was least of worries

Steering column was shot – me and my mechanic both went over the column with a fine tooth comb before it went in , knew there was an issue it flagged , agreed to fit a rack. He went to fit the rack and in doing so had to dismount the steering column with promptly disintagrated. Rack returned and steering column purchased.

And arb bushes for the rear.

Shes passed

benji
    Free Member

Sounds like the mot was well worth attending, BMW E36 3 Series seem to suffer with steering columns that rot badly, had one that I squeezed on test as it looked suspect, and was surprised when my thumb went through.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Car mot due – stupd issue.’ is closed to new replies.