Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Car mechanics please… Weird steering problem..
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Hi All,

I will try and explain this in laymans terms and hope it makes sense.(I have limited mechanical experience so excuse my ignorance, but I’m trying to learn!)

2004 Honda HRV V-TEC, 60K on the clock.

I know the HRV steering is very light, still getting used to it compared to the old car.

Anyway the steering is fine 90% of the time but when turning right on roundabouts when the steering wheel is say 3/4 turned to full lock it feels like a ‘force’ tries to pull the wheel back round the opposite way for a split second then goes away.

If i accelerate it ‘seems’ to get worse, it’s not a knocking, more of a ‘feeling’ through the wheel!

It’s hard to explain sorry,

I have checked..

1 – jacked up and both front wheels rocked side to side and there is NO play. That is… all ive done is rock the wheel with one hand and cannot feel play in tierods/bars

2 – Both front tyres have about 5mm of even depth left, both tyres same make and have correct PSI

3 – Both wheels taken off and no sign of any cracks/splits on pipes.

4 – Seems to be plenty of life left in the pads from what i can see

5 – Power steering reservior fluid is at the specified level.

6 – I have looked under the drivers footwell and inspected the steering column and from my very basic experience everything that i can see seems in order, tight etc.

7 – There is no vibration or juddering at all or that horrible grinding noise when the power steering is dry and the steering rack is on the way out (as happened on an old ford fiesta)

8 – One last point, when driving slowly in a straight line the steering wheel does move/turn quite a bit BEFORE the wheels actually move…

Thanks for any help, pointers!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Steering geometry knocked out of alignment

spooky_b329

As above, or wheel alignment. (four wheel alignment, not that tracking rubbish the tyre chains offer)

Or the power steering pump is knackered.

Edit: I’m not a mechanic so wasn’t technically invited to answer 🙂

Cougar

Fluid levels?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers for replies…

four wheel alignment, not that tracking rubbish the tyre chains offer

whats the difference compared to just having tracking done?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Steering column coupling universal joint?
    Driveshaft problem?
    Front diff?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Fluid levels?

if you mean power steering fluid, thats fine and at the correct level. 🙂

spooky_b329

Tracking just makes sure the front wheels are pointing in the same direction, 4 wheel alignment checks camber/castor/toe of each individual wheel and also their relation to the centre line of the vehicle, so will show up any problems with damaged suspension components etc.

Does sound more like a pump/steering gear issue though.

Trekster

Rack mounts?
    Universal joint joining column to rack?
    Maybe just something the HRV does? Most cars have some sort of peculiarity..

Fix loose steering and veer by adjusting or replacing wheel bearings, replacing the shocks or servicing the ball joints. You should also check the front end for worn or bent parts.

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=60359

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Sounds like either air in the system, pump on the way out, or the drivebelt slipping.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Tracking just makes sure the front wheels are pointing in the same direction, 4 wheel alignment checks camber/castor/toe of each individual wheel and also their relation to the centre line of the vehicle, so will show up any problems with damaged suspension components etc.

is this specialst garage stuff/main dealer?

cheers again,

monkey_boy
    Free Member

it is due to have the timing belt done, i guess the power steering gubbins is done at the same time?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It sounds like what happens on Zafira’s when the power steering pump is on it’s last legs.

tomhoward

Any duck like noises?

spooky_b329

This is the place I used to find a garage…my car had a squiffy back end so was unsettled and scrubbing through rear tyres…sorted it out in 20 minutes.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ Voucher on there as well. Ring round as pricing varies.

I tried looking on Google etc but its next to impossible to work out what they are offering as they all like to dress it up as super dooper laser alignment (aka tracking check!)

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Any duck like noises?

LOL i saw that thread, ummmm no mad noises.

teethgrinder

Fluid level might be OK but might need draining and refilling.

spooky_b329

Something strange going on with that link I gave, it used to give loads of results but now it says nothing local.

I did edit my earlier post btw, to say it does sound more like knackered steering pump/gear though.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Fluid level might be OK but might need draining and refilling.

i remember reading ages ago power steering fluid gets seriously dirty/nasty so this could be a cheap job to do first maybe?

cheers again for the replies

jam-bo

Power steering pump belt slipping. My old golf used to do it in the wet.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i’m probably talking bollox but after reading all the above the ‘feeling’ i get through the steering wheel does feel as if ‘something’ is slipping then catching again… so hard to describe!

blurty

I’ve had a similar problem

it was a power steering problem in the end; a garage job in any event

Trekster

Lots of stuff via google re crv problems
    Seems you can get the power steering pressure checked if it it a similar system
    There would appear to be a hose which hardens, cracks ans allows air in which could well be contributing factor?

allthegear
    Free Member

That sounds exactly the same as the steering effect I had on roundabouts in my Octavia. They replaced the steering pump (for free) and it was resolved.

Rachel

stgeorge

Power steering pump belt slipping – check this first, simple fix if it is loose.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Car mechanics please… Weird steering problem..’ is closed to new replies.