Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Car keyed just before eBay listing ends- help me understand why. Scam?
  • sgn23
    Free Member

I was listing my car on eBay and and the night before the listing was due to end someone keyed every panel. The car was Cat D and only worth a few hundred quid. The vandalism screwed up the auction. I live in a nice area, nothing like this has happened before, no other cars were done, so all I can think is that this is connected to it being on eBay, but how they found me I don’t know (but I didn’t hide the number plate in the pics)
    It was an auction and I had a load of BIN requests which I politely declined. Did they get pissed off about by his?

So can anyone help me work out why somebody did this. Is it scam?

cozz
    Free Member

is it a distinctive car?

i saw one on ebay last week, and straight away know the car, and were it lives, could that have happened and some saddo who you wouldnt sell it to keyed it?
    has anyone asked for your address to come and view it?

sgn23
    Free Member

No it’s a bog standard car. No one’s asked to view it and I h haven’t given out my address. Just my town is listed on ebay

martinhutch

Someone else hates you, I suspect. Bit of a long shot to ID your car from those details.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oddly I had a spare repair car listed the other week for a friend of mine on eBay
    Day before the listing ended same thing happened

There had been no interest at all in his car , no offers and no bids to turn down

brooess
    Free Member

Maybe OP and Orangeboy should report to Ebay and/or Police – maybe there’s an insider with access to home addresses who for some reason likes wrecking other people’s property?

Pook

Or bidding, winning, then opening a dispute based on it not being as described to result in a big discount?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Did you start a thread about wheel size recently? Just sayin 🙂

On a more serious not, bloody annoying but oddly there are people out there who just do things like this for no apparent reason. I always try to avoid the conspiracy theory angle as it will just drive you mad, however it’s always worth reporting just in case it can help someone else.

Probably just a random wazzock though.

mav12
    Free Member

you could post the auction on here and see if anyonE can id your location

mudmuncher

Just a thought…

Have you bought anything through ebay in the last few months where you have had a dispute or left bad feedback etc.

They would have your address, your ebay ID and a motive.

orangeboy
    Free Member

In my case the car was else where and my feed back is 100% with no issues ever.
    We’d put it down to just being one of those things till I read the op

csb

Someone you declined BIN just wanted the engine or internals, thought you’d reoffer it to them if the other sales fell through. Has anyone reapproached you?

sgn23
    Free Member

That’s an uncanny coincidence Orangeboy. I’m in Gloucestershire where are you?

Winning bidder pulled out when I told him Pook.

Random wazzock, johnj? Then why not trash my decent car parked next to it? Though I suspect you are right, some people’s actions just can’t be rationally explained.

That might be it csb… I was thinking of going back to one of the BIN guys to see if they want it cheap. Thinking twice about it now you’ve said that!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had a complete ball ache selling my car listed as a 99p start price auction and “spares and repairs” on ebay.

I think there is a lot of dodgy motor dealers with an automated search on cars sold as an auction and spares and repairs (i guess normal buyers wouldn’t be interested).

When i sold mine, three guys turned up in a BMW 5 Series and refused to leave my house for 3 hours whilst attempting to haggle the 2100 quid price they bought it for down to 1300 quid.

The guys who bought mine were setup as a “dealer” from a house in Luton. The car was listed as a “private sale” on autotrader 2 weeks later. ebay account was closed after they bought it and autotrader did nothing.

They had multiple ebay/paypal accounts too, as they had to shuffle the money around to actually pay me.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if it was some kind of scam.

tymbian
    Free Member

Wondering if when the car doesn’t sell whether You’ll get an email offering to take it off you hands..for not much money obviously.

andyl
    Free Member

I guess the first/only thing to do is file a report with the police. They might have a record of this happening before.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Car was in North Somerset
    And no email offers since

I have a car of my own to shift on eBay and this is putting me off somewhat

Pook

Someone selling a similar one nearby?

chip
    Free Member

Is there a parking a problem where you live.
    Has the car been sat unused for a period of time (sat taking a parking space)

It’s amazing the animosity and disputes that occur over residential parking or more to the point lack of it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

No excuse for vandalism.

sgn23
    Free Member

Some good suggestions thanks guys. No parking issues though chip.
    I’ve reported it to the police but they weren’t interested as there’s no evidence to investigate.
    I think I’ve worked out how they found the car. My user name on eBay and Twitter were the same and twitter had my name (which isn’t common) so they can look up my address from my name with something like 192.com

Forge_Master
    Free Member

probably the local scrappy or gypsy looking to take it off your hands for free.

globalti
    Free Member

A computer security bloke was on R4 a few months ago talking about how personal information about us is likely to be misused in the future. His advice to anybody planning to join Twatter or Farcebook? “Don’t do it. We have no idea what is going to happen in five, ten or twenty years.”

Jamie
    Free Member

His advice to anybody planning to join Twatter or Farcebook?

Hoho. Have a cookie.

scaredypants

No, that’s not good advice Jamie – junk food AND a sedentary lifestyle, days broken only by the pad of chubby fingers on a phone screen and the occasional family pack of marylands 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

days broken only by the pad of chubby fingers on a phone screen and the occasional family pack of marylands

You been reading my diary again?

….not really hard I guess, as it’s on my blog. #yolo #ASL #hashtag

dudeofdoom

Ever notice how they always do the double packs of maryland offers?
    Feeders 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Car keyed just before eBay listing ends- help me understand why. Scam?’ is closed to new replies.