Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Car is stuck in snow – any tips to get it out!!
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

steep hill, pointing downhill, front wheel drive, compacted ice and mounting snow!

wheels spinning like ****

falkirk-mark

Dig it out

mountainposture

Old blanket under the wheels to aid initial traction.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Walk away and come back in June?

Seriously, wheelspin gets you nowhere fast. Stop it. If you can't, leave the car where it is because you're heading for trouble.

beamers

Find someone with a tractor or 4×4 and a rope / chain and ask them nicely to pull you out?

spacemonkey

Lower tyre pressure and use as many blanket-type materials to aid traction.

gusamc
    Free Member

Have you got a blanket or old carpet.

(*Put one end under drive wheels and get somebody to stand on other end *yes they are in the way of the car but it stops the thing being dragged under). once moving very steady as she goes

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Put one end under drive wheels and get somebody to stand on other end *yes they are in the way of the car but it stops the thing being dragged under

I'm sorry, but that's gootta be the most stupidly dangerous advice I've ever heard on here. That's how people get injured you bloody idiot.

Stu_N

Spinning wheels doesn't help at all, you'll have made some wheel-sized holes that are lined with water ice – a DIY rolling road if you like.

Dig a runway about a car length down to the solid ice or road surface, making sure you take the step in front of the tyres away. Scatter some grit onto it and then you should be able to drive off. Keep your speed up a bit as well, seems to help with not getting stuck again. Not walking pace but maybe 10-15 mph instead of 5-10 mph.

That has worked for us for the past 2 weeks. Obviously now it's snowing in England it's a massive media story – we've had heavy snow here for almost 3 weeks; motorways shut or down to one lane and not a peep.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Its ok peter – i don't know Ali babar so no worries

ton

lock it, get the bike out and relax……… 8)

or grit, gravel, sand, carpet, straw

andybach
    Free Member

Blankets and carpets work – but nothing beats actually moving the snow/ice.

Rocking the car works as well – but as the others say spinning the wheels is pointless.

….but do you really need to go out, will you really be missed if you don't go in.

I've just told my guys not to bother and work from home (i appreciate not everyone has this sort of job)

uplink
    Free Member

Obviously now it's snowing in England it's a massive media story

Errr.. I'm in England & we've had the snow since 17th Dec, careful that chip doesn't weigh you down too much 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

chip away buildup in front of the tyres, but ultimately, if you cant get moving downhill maybe you shouldnt bother unless the roads are significantly better further along.

dmiller
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Walk away and come back in June?

Seriously, wheelspin gets you nowhere fast. Stop it. If you can't, leave the car where it is because you're heading for trouble.

+1. Honestly if the roads are that bad give up and go back to bed. Get up at 12 and re-assess.

David.

hora
    Free Member

Old blankets or sheets infront of the wheels. Or carefully (at low level) empty your house salt and wait.

Word of caution- your car WILL slide back down and you WILL prang the rear or side of your car. Dont do it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ideally forget it and don't drive in what are probably silly conditions.

If you must then try putting it into second and release the clutch *really* slowly with no gas.

hora
    Free Member

Ideally forget it and don't drive in what are probably silly conditions.

+1. I own a Forester with all wheel drive. I left it on the drive this morning and rode slowly in. I fear other drivers and I dont fancy someone sliding into my car and then claiming its 50:50 due to the weather. So- instead I had one lad overtaking me in his Fiesta with a mobile in hand and a older fella who didnt like me riding on snow 1/4- 14/ way out in the lane

oldgit
    Free Member

'pipe and slippers mode'

Do you remember when dads used to go out and clear the bit of road and pavement in front of the house, until the whole street would be clear?

uplink
    Free Member

Do you remember when dads used to go out and clear the bit of road and pavement in front of the house

Done mine most days for the last 3 weeks or so 😀

falkirk-mark

Hora are you saying you would rather risk getting hit on your bike than risk getting hit in your car ?

RustyNissanPrairie

let clutch out in 1st gear with no gas, gently apply a bit of left foot braking to help slow the spinning wheel and apply more torque to the other wheel.

A form of TC and works well on my landrover when stuck in mud.

Reverse up hills if its a front wheel drive car-weight transfer will help load the wheels more.

Smee
    Free Member

If you need to ask then you don't have the skills to drive in this weather. Leave it at home.

Stu_N

uplink – Premier Member
    Do you remember when dads used to go out and clear the bit of road and pavement in front of the house
    Done mine most days for the last 3 weeks or so
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes, we've been doing that as well, makes it better than 50-50 whether you can get the car out the street or not without further assistance. There's 14 inches of snow in the garden so we are running out of space for all the snow.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

smee come and drive for me then you GOD

uplink
    Free Member

If you need to ask then you don't have the skills to drive in this weather. Leave it at home.

Smee
    Free Member

I would but I'm snowed in.

hora
    Free Member

Hora are you saying you would rather risk getting hit on your bike than risk getting hit in your car ?

To answer the question, I am a tight Yorkshireman.

Better safe than sorry. Risking it in your car can be very expensive and you could be stuck in a worse position/survival mode.

zokes
    Free Member

What, smee admits something has defeated him?

Smee
    Free Member

Don't let me being factually correct get in the way of slagging me off though you muppets. The guy is asking a biking forum how to get a car thats on a steep hill to move – he's quite obviously a bit clueless when it comes to driving in this weather. Would really you want someone like that on the roads?

Seeing as you appear to want this here is my advice: Straighten the wheels, stick it in reverse and rock it back and forward until you sort the mess that you've created by wheel spinning. Then once it feels like you are no longer in a huge hole stick it in second and drive off.

If he kills someone it has got bugger all to do with me.

Zokes – I live at the bottom of a steep hill – the hill is covered in ice – I am not stupid.

FuzzyWuzzy

If it's pointing down a steep hill and you can't get it going I'd worry more about how you're going to stop it if do get it going…

carbon337
    Free Member

Im a fan of a few bricks/rocks in front of wheels if you dont have blankets.

Try just using no revs to just idle speed and 2nd gear and let clutch control everything.

bruneep

Get some school kids to push it out.

uplink
    Free Member

Try just using no revs to just idle speed and 2nd gear and let clutch control everything

The other day mine was spinning the wheels in 2nd on idle with all feet off the pedals
    Damn those torquey diesels

MrOvershoot

uplink – Premier Member

The other day mine was spinning the wheels in 2nd on idle with all feet off the pedals
    Damn those torquey diesels

Mine was much the same, but then I remembered it has an adjustable chip/box thingy, turned it down to total fuel miser mode and now its really gutless but just what you need in slippy stuff 🙂

GrahamS

If you're still stuck nearly four hours after posting this then I'd probably give up and go watch Trisha 😀

JoeBones
    Free Member

Trade it in and buy a Land Rover

project
    Free Member

Carry a couple of gallons of water,in the back, flatten all the snow in front of wheels and then pour on water,this will melt the snow, and you should then be able to drive into the fresh snow, dont stop,,better if you can get someone else to pour the water down.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

get your shovel out and remove the snow that's stopping you

TooTall
    Free Member

If you had a 29er you'd be fine!

*runs*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Car is stuck in snow – any tips to get it out!!’ is closed to new replies.