Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • car insurance renewal time
  • bruneep

2 cars
    car 1 myself, Mrs b
    car 2 mrs b, me and little b (17)

what a ball ache trying get quotes and then the end quote is nothing like the headline quote

must be a better way

johnners
    Free Member

It’s a pain for sure but should only take half an hour or so to plug the info into the main 3-4 comparison sites. Or just throw yourself at the mercy of a broker like we used to in the old days!

mattyfez

Laborious admin task for sure, so crack on with it, or pay more.

The choice is yours!

Pierre

I used a couple of the comparison sites and Direct Line. DL were £100 cheaper than my current insurer (Admiral) could even offer to beat the comparison sites. Went with DL.

YMMV. 😉

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

we had that recently when trying to renew, we have an au pair. Got rather fed up in the end and decided to revisit the renewal 2 days before and got lucky with a very decent rate with Direct Line.

Admiral (the previous insurers) doubled the rate on the primary car with just me and the mrs. when I asked why we haven’t had an incident and the record has been clean, their reply was (on two separate phone calls) must be the make/model of the car involved in more accidents this last year!! 😯 😯

Tracey

We were with Admiral up until today on a Multicar policy.

We went from 3 cars with them to 2 in December which cost us a bit more money, when we rang them to see why it had gone up, they said that my no fault accident last year when someone ran into the back of me was part of the problem and our two girls had bumped it up. Kevins car had doubled in premiums. Our premium had gone up from £1050 for 3 cars to £2400 for 2.
    We had already got a quote from Aviva for the two cars at £1400 and asked them to match it but they weren’t interested.
    Now with Aviva, I suppose its the price we have to pay for having young drivers.
    Camper is through Comfort and daren’t ask them how much to put Abigale on it

matt_outandabout

It bugs me how much hassle it is- broker next time I think.

This weeks faff with one renewal is that old insurer registered myself as driver during accident in 2015. In fact mrs_OAB was. Therefore new insurer now has two incidents (one I declared, one insurance database declared), in same car, on same day, of same cost, with two different drivers. Neither old insurer or new insurer will entertain taking one of the claims off as incorrect. I therefore now have to wait for letter from old insurer, to forward to insurance database, who will inform new insurer. New insurer wants £150 more than quoted as it is a second accident.

I have also, despite this one and only bump in last 8 years, seen insurance premiums more than triple. When we first moved to Scotland it was £96, then £160/180, now £350…. grrrrrr

stumpy01

I’ve been using Admiral for the last 3 years. The combined quote was always within £20 of the best offers I could find elsewhere before starting to dig into the detail (when they normally go up a bit).

This time though they were massively more expensive & would only budge by a small amount. She couldn’t explain why it was so much compared to separate policies with other providers given that multi-car is supposed to save money.

We ended up going with KwikFit & Hastings Premier.
    As above though, I clicked on the headline price for quite a few insurers & then by the time you get through to the actual payment window you’ve added easily £100 on in options that should be default.
    A comparison site is pretty pointless if it’s not comparing like for like.

Rich_s

We might as well all get our whinges in about insurance – if you missed this earlier in the week, don’t underestimate how expensive this is going to make lots of different types of insurance or how much impact on competition it’ll have…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39103069

johnners
    Free Member

As above though, I clicked on the headline price for quite a few insurers & then by the time you get through to the actual payment window you’ve added easily £100 on in options that should be default.

I don’t think I’ve encountered this. What sort of stuff are you needing to add on?

rocketman
    Free Member

Laborious admin task for sure, so crack on with it, or pay more

it is indeed

No hard and fast rules if money’s important it’s simply who offers the best deal at the time offset by the possibility of actually having to make a claim

Most annoying thing is the renewals teams seems to have no connection with the new-business teams

‘How much did they quote you? Really? I’m sorry we can’t match that’
    click brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sundayjumper

We’ve been with Admiral for ages, the quote for the whole fleet (currently four cars) has always been less than the previous year. Next renewal is June.

bruneep

Renewal price was from DL, went onto DLsite online quotes were

car 1: saved £20
    car 2: saved £80

many sites wouldn’t quote as son only 17…. worst quote was £4500.00 😯

comparison sites weren’t any cheaper than DL nor was going multi car. So its back to DL but with online quote rather than paper quote.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘car insurance renewal time’ is closed to new replies.