Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car insurance Question.
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I put down 15000 miles as my estimated anual milage on the form in June.

I’ll have done that by Christmas at this rate.

Should I tell them (It was only an estimate, and at the time it was true).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

<pulls up chair>

I’ve often wondered this as well…. nearly tripled my ‘estimate’ one year.

</pulls up chair>

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did you tell them the mileage of your vehicle at the start of the insurance period?

uplink
    Free Member

Should I tell them

I think I probably would

AndyRT
    Free Member

My assumption would be that it will affect your cost of insurance, and your cover will be invalidated if they find out you have exceeded it. Did you quote your mileage?

uplink
    Free Member

If they ask for MOT certificates etc after a crash [which they do] it’ll be obvious to them

bristolbiker
    Free Member

My assumption would be that it will affect your cost of insurance

Clearly, but they don’t ask what your exact mileage was for the last 3 years, just an estimate of what next years will be. Might consult the T+C’s on my policy to see what it says…..

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn’t the milage recorded when you have an MOT done?

If you’re with the same insurance company for a few years on the same policy, they might want to look back at these to see how many miles you’ve done between MOTs (in the event of a big claim).

edit…too slow

njee20
    Free Member

They don’t have to ask, MOT certs are all held online now.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you’re with the same insurance company for a few years on the same policy, they might want to look back at these to see how many miles you’ve done between MOTs

What if you change cars during the policy?

wwaswas

unless it’s a mileage restrcited policy I can’t see it being an issue – they asked for estimate, not an upper limit.

uplink
    Free Member

They don’t have to ask, MOT certs are all held online now.

We had to send ours to them when the wife’s car got written off

jon1973
    Free Member

What if you change cars during the policy?

Obviously they couldn’t do that then, but unless you change your car every year I guess it becomes a risk.

unless it’s a mileage restrcited policy I can’t see it being an issue – they asked for estimate, not an upper limit.

Why would they ask at all then if it has no bearing on the policy? It’s an estimate, but if you say 10k, and you’ve done 35k it’s going to look like you;ve misrepresented your useage / given mis-information. +/- a couple of k would be reasonable, I wouldn’t risk it myself for any more than that.

wombat

If you increase your estimated mileage when getting online quotations the premium will rise as the estimated mileage increases IME.

IIRC 12k miles pa when I renewed was about £60 pa cheaper than the 18k miles that I estimated (and is fairly accurate.

I don’t think they’ll be all that bothered if you’re only over by a bit though.

FWIW I’d tell them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, but when I took out the policy I just put in whatever the average/annual service interval was.

Then I took a job 275 miles away!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought you cycle commuted all the time?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did, but then I swaped jobs :p would be one hell of a commute!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No wonder you’re getting tubby :wink:. How far do you commute on a daily basis?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i found more miles was cheaper for me ….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s about 8 miles each way now, unfortunately theres a big hill in that, and no showers at work 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance Question.’ is closed to new replies.