Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Car insurance premium partly based on your social media use. Good thing?
  • wwaswas

So how you use Facebook (and I assume in future other social media) will count towards your risk calculation.

Do any young drivers still use Facebook – my kids seem to use a lot more peer-to-peer stuff now?

Also, if you have a private FB account would you let your insurer look at it to get a lower premium?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/02/admiral-to-price-car-insurance-based-on-facebook-posts

wwaswas

Just too late by 40 seconds…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thats worrying.

Whats next, NHS/BUPA accessing Farcebork for traits of medical history? “Oh, blazing headache today, LOL” means they score you high for Brain deseise??
    “My kids have just had a spat,LOL” means you’ll crash the car driving them to school?

And, say the story, they don’t intend to pick photos? Horseshite… that’ll be the next story in a few weeks time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I predict a growing number of fake accounts created to save money on insurance

jimw
    Free Member

What if, like me, you don’t use social media of any flavour. . Will the premium be adjusted because you are a luddite?

Or will STW posts be counted?

vinnyeh

It’s voluntary- drivers can use it in the hope that the passive language of their postings will lead to premium reductions 🙂 .

What jambalaya said.

wwaswas

What if, like me, you don’t use social media of any flavour. . Will the premium be adjusted because you are a luddite?

No friends to talk to on social media = no social life = low risk.

I expect 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Can I send them links to the speeding threads on here?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The fact that Admiral say they dont know what it will reveal, suggests they are either lying or they’ll be bumping up the premiums regardless, using this as an excuse.

wwaswas

FB block Admiral’s applications access to FB data.

they’ll just screen scrape in html next, I assume 🙂

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/02/car-insurer-wants-to-spy-on-peoples-facebook-profiles-before-giving-quotes-6229058/

P-Jay
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

The fact that Admiral say they dont know what it will reveal, suggests they are either lying or they’ll be bumping up the premiums regardless, using this as an excuse.

Or it’s just a PR stunt.

Are they going to ask you for your FB log-in before they quote, or just search for you by name and hope they get the right person?

wwaswas

Are they going to ask you for your FB log-in before they quote, or just search for you by name and hope they get the right person?

Sounds like it was via an app which means you would need to link the Admiral App and your FB account on the device?

plyphon
    Free Member

I suspect it’ll come down to:

“Like and share for 5% off your premium!”

Rather than anything use to calculate your premium.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Done right there will be a bunch of correlation between the time & location of posts and accident stats, how you work it out would be interesting and to do it you need access to the data. Analysis is getting cheaper so we can try these things

richmtb

Maybe they could check social media for people posting while driving?

Would be a better indication who’s a reckless twunt than anything you write in your status.

Of course:

lolz just knocked over a cyclist, well he doesn’t pay road tax

Is a pretty clear signal too

edhornby

Facebook have blocked it because they are p1ssed off, not cos they care about privacy but because Admiral aren’t buying the data analytics from them

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like a bloody April Fools joke: “..looking for habits that research shows are linked to these traits. These include writing in short concrete sentences, using lists, and arranging to meet friends at a set time and place, rather than just “tonight”
    What research? “Excuse me you’ve just run that old lady over, can I look at your Facebook page?”
    I call bullshit on how someone posts on Facebook being in any way related to how they drive.

doris5000

thought it sounded a bit dubious until I saw that they were planning to charge higher tariffs to people who overuse exclamation marks.

sounds fair, carry on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance premium partly based on your social media use. Good thing?’ is closed to new replies.