Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car insurance – eh?
  • theotherjonv

I was a company car driver from 2000 to 2013; no claims, no endorsements, letter from employer to prove it.

I moved jobs in 2013 to an employer that does a car allowance instead, so had to sort my own insurance.

The letter got me a full NCD. The first renewal was a few quid more, but I’ve just had a second year renewal that’s increased the premium by £140 (£460 to £600). So I called where it was explained that I can only use my 13 years of claim free motoring for 2 years after leaving the company. After that it’s not valid and I go back to 2 years of ‘personal’ NCD.

In this age of joined up insurance databases, why can’t 13 + 2 = 15? When it’s a money maker I guess!

Anyone know of any insurance cos that don’t have a time restriction on my company car NCD, because it looks like they’ll get my business. Have called a couple, who will give me a discount this year but next year will move me to personal NCD as well, so I can kick it down the road for a year for now.

hh45
    Free Member

Sounds bonkers doesn’t it?

Could be worse though. I have just had to start paying my own insurance after 6 years and because I have had 3 speeding fines in the last five years I am almost uninsurable despite 20 years NCB and no bans, accidents, arrests etc. I’ve ended up paying £650 TPF&T plus a £600 excess, all for an £8,000 car. Hopefully that will teach me.

theotherjonv

Heard a piece on the radio last night about the prices some kids are paying for insurance. £3.4k, down to £2.6 if they have a safe driver tracker installed and don’t drive between 10pm and 6am (don’t recall exactly the details but that sort of idea)

Are they that huge a risk? Is the price of insurance what causes people to take the risk and drive uninsured and then we pay for them as well, making prices ever higher and perpetuating it?

Although hopefully joined up anpr and insurance databases and the like will mean identifying uninsured drivers is far easier. Just wish joined up insurance databases might also work for us!!

njee20
    Free Member

Are they that huge a risk? Is the price of insurance what causes people to take the risk and drive uninsured and then we pay for them as well, making prices ever higher and perpetuating it?

Yes

hora
    Free Member

You have 3 speeding fines. You can see why your insurance is higher- you consistently drive faster than the limit so a higher risk. Unless of course you only ever sped three times… 😉

jools182
    Free Member

They make up their own rules to get as much cash as possible

I don’t get how automatic renewals are say £600,you phone them up to leave and suddenly it’s £400

That’s dishonest at the very least

Rich_s

Nfu certainly used to do “Intro Bonus” rather than NCD. Might be worth giving your local office a call (they also have a national number in glasgow).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance – eh?’ is closed to new replies.