Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • car insurance
  • peachos
    Free Member

i’m trying to insure a citroen berlingo with my mrs & her bro as a shared car. i’ve tried all the comparison sites and the prices have shifted from ~£1200 a couple of weeks ago to more like £1800 now. i just can’t get it any lower than that. it’s f**king b*ll*cks. i even had one quote at £1600 that went up by £200 when i added a thatcham cat 2 immobiliser and left everything else as it was.

anyone got any advice? anyone who works in insurance, as an underwriter perhaps, to help me play these jokers at their own game???

stressed

peachos
    Free Member

sorry for the bump…its a boring topic i know – i just can’t seem to get anywhere with it!

any help oh fountain of knowledge that is STW??

tonyg2003

How about transferring ownership to Mrs. Unusally women get better rates? Also if the other drivers are higher risk age/accidients/points how about trying to reduce the amount of miles they drive.

Otherwise – move!

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s not just you. I need to renew first week of Oct.

Premium last year ~£360
    Best quote this year ~£950

No change in details.

peachos
    Free Member

have tried all sorts of combinations – i’ve got a clean licence, they both have 6 points. she’s got 2 years NCB though. even omitting all the points doesn’t really affect it (not that i would do that btw). its absolutely ridiculous.

its no wonder really that loads of people drive without insurance when it costs this much.

totalshell

well if you were an insurance company how would you look at the risk of a claim been made..
    3 drivers..
    2 of whom have committed criminal offences whilst driving a vehicle
    only 1 of whom has any no claims bonus than only two years..

making claims and breaking the law are not compulsory but if you do there is a price to be paid when your ‘risk’ is being assesed.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Doesn’t explain my situation though, does it totalshell?

Insurance has gone up massively…probably due to the no win, no fee compensation culture.

peachos
    Free Member

actually totalshell – its all crap!! i’ve tried taking both those two off the quote – so just me – it hardly affects the premium. i’ve been driving for over 10 years without a single incident or accident but as a named driver on other policies or on hire cars – yet i still get penalised. i even tried it under my old man’s name with full clean licence and 12+ years NCB & the cheapest was still not very cheap at all at ~ £1300.

also – how does everything you say there explain why two weeks ago the quotes were coming out at £1200 and now they’re £4-600 higher?? i read on moneysavingexpert that the premiums alter depending on the time of the year too. why on earth should that have any effect?? wouldnt surprise me if time of month / day made a difference either

its all b*ll*cks – there’s no two ways about it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘car insurance’ is closed to new replies.