• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Car Insurance
  • taka
    Free Member

whys it so expensive? ive been given a peugeot 106 990cc or something like that its on an L plate so its not new and its worth about £300 the cheapest ive been insures so far is £5600 third party and fully comp isn’t much cheaper am i doing something wrong? is it the car? being a potential boy racer car might be something but ive looked at vans 4×4’s estates and there all the same.. i got quoted for a rover 400 saloon with the nfu with a discount because my dads been with them for 10years+ and that was £7k btw im a first time male driver at 17 with no convictions which i know of.. ive had quotes for a 1200cc motorbike at £400 i might be on two wheels for the rest of my short lived life at this rate..

woody2000

It’s all about risk Tom. You’re a high risk, so you pay.

Simples (sorry!)

EDIT – if you take an advanced test/lessons, you’ll probably find it comes down

http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/Motor/Pages/young-driver-insurance.aspx

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yes a risk, but over £5k is still ridiculous!

Have you been on the comparison sites?

taka
    Free Member

yep all of them

anjs
    Free Member

Postcode also has an effect

timbur
    Free Member

Blimey. How young are you?

Mines about £250 and includes the Mrs :O)

(lovely old Golf diesel bought off here last year)

dickydutch

insure your father (or mother for that matter) as a named driver. Always brings premiums down. Assuming they have little or no claim history and aren’t disqualified etc.

taka
    Free Member

where i live is in the middle of no-where a few miles from the village and about 5 or 6 from the nearest town

woody2000

Tom’s postcode is – “up on top o’t hill, near a tree”

🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

Put it in a parent’s name and be a named driver? Might be worth going with a company that allows you to build up no claims when you are a second driver.

Obviously you need to be comfortable with putting someone else as the main insured party, or else you get into difficulty trying to explain to insurer why your Mum is the main insured, but never drives the car.

£5000 does sound a bit ridiculous though.

taka
    Free Member

ive tried it with my mum and dad as named drivers brings it down to about £4700

taka
    Free Member

isn’t fronting illegal ?

vinnyeh

It’s all about risk Tom. You’re a high risk, so you pay.

Basically, the insurers don’t want your business- it’s not worth their while.
    Insurance is all about risk mitigation, or minimisation- you buy insurance (in theory) because you think there’s a chance things may go wrong (your house burns down, you crash your car) and you want to minimise the downside or cost to you (rebuilding the house, buying another car).
    The insurance company wants to minimise it’s downside (paying out), so makes it so expensive for you (you being a 17 year old male) to buy a policy that you don’t.

Trouble is, that you need to have vehicle insurance to drive on the road- but that they don’t have to provide it for you.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Why’s it so expensive?

Well, as a young driver, you will almost certainly have an accident in the next few months, statistically.

And speaking for the over 40’s, when we went out with out mates and they crashed a car, putting a mimi on its roof, you climbed out, pushed the car back over, and comiserated. The claim cost £500.

These days, all 3 of the occupants will develop “whiplash” and will all proceed to instruct bottom feeding solicitors who tell you its ok to sue a mate, as “his insurer pays”. These aformentioned scum will send you to a dodgy medical expert, who’s word is not worth challenging economically at a county court, especially somewhere like Birkenhead or Liverpool county court, where the judges feel the need to “support their local law firms”. The lawyers get £1500 min legal fees, the medical expert £250 ish, the dodgy “after event legal fee insurers” get £500, and the medical expert who will always supply a prognosis long enough that their solicitor friends guarantee the legal fees, meaning the claimant gets £2k. He will ask you pointed questions about twinges, and ensure he doesnt have to do too much cut and paste to his standard report he bangs out after a 10 minute appointemnt.

So what was a £500 claim in 1990, becomes a £15000 claim in 2010.

Once upon a time, you tended not to see injuries until you saw labour figures of about £500. Now, anyone gets whiplash for the most trivial of impacts.

And woe betide if you hit someone in another car. They not only double the “whiplash” payout, but it seems everyone needs a “like for like” car for repair duration, a courtesey car is never good enough.

In many cases, the cost of short term hire is far mroe than the repairs, and oddly, when garages are not supplying the car themselves, but one of these “scumbag” accident management companies, your car gets repaired convieniently slowly.

And the courts just love this rip of. Darren Bent the footballer, hardly short of a bob or two, recently recovered over £60k in HIRE CHARGES ALONE when his Aston was hit, despite having another car awailable to him. Courts threw out the insurers arguments.

I see daily, hire charges of over £20k for a few weeks when people have a prestige vehicle damaged.

druidh
    Free Member

taka – Member
    isn’t fronting illegal ?

Yes

druidh
    Free Member

Tom – does your mother still have access to a company car? It might be cheaper to have you listed as a driver on that (though it’ll increase the excess) and for her to buy/insure another car 🙂

IdleJon

dooosuk – Member
    Yes a risk, but over £5k is still ridiculous!

Hmmmmm, I’m not sure about that.

If you set up your own insurance company, would you insure 17 years boys? And how much would you charge them, bearing in mind that the biggest killer of under 20 males in the UK is car accidents? (I think I read that in the paper lately, but I may be wrong!)

All it would take is a fairly minor accident and the insurance company makes a loss on taka’s policy even at a premium of £5k – pay off his £300 if fully comp for his written off car, damage to the third party’s bumper and parking sensors and a bit of whiplash damage to the third party.

Of course taka doesn’t actually need to buy the car so he doesn’t have to pay huge amounts for car insurance.

taka
    Free Member

druidh i need to be over 21 to go on her company car policy

spence
    Free Member

taka, sounds like the same car (106 Kid?) as my daughters. Paid just over £700 while she was learning which increased to £900+ once she passed her test through Autotrader insurance, the renewal last year was about double so switched to Swinton for just over £800 with 1Years NCD. Strangely both policies were with Sabre as the under writer (as were all the other quotes) Now I know girls get cheaper rates and all everyone’s circumstances are different but it may be just a case keeping on looking there may be something out there.

Adding parents (assuming fairly clean driving records) as named drivers should help as will reducing the anticipated mileage. And increasing the excess, but don’t agree with that, what’s the point of insurance if you still have to pay. Although at the car’s value any claim would be a write-off.

Good luck

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Realistically, you get the premiums you deserve in the UK.

If you want hte service that allows for claims management companies to earn huge sums out of hire and credit repair, and for everyone to get a £2k payout on the flimsiest of evidence, then premiums have to be high to pay for it.

Its the lawyers that win every time. But then, they get to write the rules without consequence.

dooosuk
    Free Member

IdleJon – I realise that any payout from an accident taka may have will probably be in the region of thousands…but it isn’t just taka’s premium that covers any potential payout from his wrong doing.

It’s ridiculous to expect 17yr olds to be able to pay that much and is no wonder there are so many uninsured drivers around.

woody2000

Couldn’t all the young drivers pay into a pot and effectively underwrite themselves? Standard premium of £1200 say but with restrictions on the car, mileage etc.

Daft idea?

Jamie
    Free Member

£5600? Blimey.

Saying that, I past my test at 30 and it is costing me £620 fully comp on a 1.4 Fiesta….and that is with Carol Nash taking into account my 7-8 years of NCB I accrued on the motorbike.

retro83
    Free Member

Have you tried Hoot?

I think they do a restricted hours policies for younguns

FuzzyWuzzy

Get a moped… as has been said the £5600 isn’t supposed to be realistic, they don’t want your business. There probably should be a 3rd party cover scheme underwritten by the government for young drivers but I’m sure it would get abused and be unsustainable.

Harry_the_Spider

Just gone through the same process with my wife’s insurance.

39 year old librarian with no accident or penalty history. 1 year NCD. Does sod all miles. 7 year old Ford Fusion. Renewal quote was nearly a grand! Bonkers.

pennine
    Free Member

Like me Taka, I believe you have a BD postcode. Although I live nearer to Bradford than you, you aren’t that far away. Too many uninsured drivers knocking about (50% in some wards) which means they load the premiums. It’s been highlighted in the local paper several times recently.

sobriety
    Free Member

Too many uninsured drivers knocking about (50% in some wards) which means they load the premiums.

Self fulfilling prophecy ahoy! 🙄

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Fraud is also a big problem, and the BD postcode is up there.

As is PR, BL, Ol, BB, UB, LU, some B, BD, some Il, and any where else with a large asian/immigrant population. L, SK, M are also problem areas.

Regrettably, the numbers of whiplash claims, where 4 people in a car hit another 4 people in a car where police are never notified of an incident, despite both vehicles requiring expensive private recovery, storage, the non fault driver requiring a hire car, and multiple injury claims funnelled through the same accident management company, are very high.

Essentially, if you were able to see the addresses of companies, known to be a souce of fraudulent claims, you would find culturally, that asian (pakistani/afghanistani) areas are grossly over represented. Its quite usual to find asian drivers hit asian drivers, who have their vehicles recovered by asian owned firms who are not even in the phone book or on the net (suggestive they are “prepared” for the accident) and then provided with a hire car from an asian owned firm. Asian solicitors are instructed, as is an asian medical expert. You see how “closed” culturally UK living asian people can be, when working in motor insurance fraud.

I would say however in balance, that those areas identified tend to be economically “poor”, and certainly the likelyhood of “frauulent” or “unlikely” injury claims from any ethnic origin from say, large parts of lancashire, yorkshire, are high.

Interestingly, the issue now appears to be escalating with those from eastern europe over represented statistically, and it seems with its high court compensation awards (we are the second highest in europe, behind Eire) and low standards of proof required, that people “claims shop” ie they actually come to the UK to have their accidents. This is born out by the over representation of people with pw or px national insurance numbers. (signifying non uk born).

It seems a cultural issue, that big companies can be defrauded easilly, and so they will, by certain groups. Along with the +’s of multiculturalism, there are -‘s, and the attitude to fraud is one of them.

taka
    Free Member

still no better spent all afternoon searching and the lowest ive got is £4700 thirdparty i found it funny when i put in miss Thomas Waller and all the same details it was £1100 discriminating ****ts

Rich_s

Well, if you can buy a set of shears for under £3599 then you’re onto a winner.

taka
    Free Member

i could make my self a miss on my insurance policy then blame it on the insurance company for getting it wrong my dads had his car insurance for 15years with his name as markz walker

hels
    Free Member

Is it any cheaper to just get 3rd party ?? That way if you damage your own car you bear the costs, but anybody you hit is covered.

Maybe that should be compulsory for younger drivers, they risk their own car – might make them better drivers. Ban car loans to under 25s might help too. That way if they smash it to bits its already paid for.

steveh

You’ll need to spend a lot of time on the phone to get a better deal as a young driver the comparison sites really don’t work best for people like you. Prepare to spend a lot of time on the phone/online trying lots of people. Prices vary day by day so the cheapest company for you one day will be expensive the next. It will always be expensive but you should get it down to much less than you have currently.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I was looking for a car insurance quote today here in Eire. Axa – 815 Euro , AA – 1400 Euro, Alians – 1200 Euro, 123.ie – 577 Euro. Shop around and you might get lucky.

br
    Free Member

The use of capital letters, full stops and commas would probably knock a few grand off the quote…

Interestingly, the issue now appears to be escalating with those from eastern europe over represented statistically, and it seems with its high court compensation awards (we are the second highest in europe, behind Eire) and low standards of proof required, that people “claims shop” ie they actually come to the UK to have their accidents. This is born out by the over representation of people with pw or px national insurance numbers. (signifying non uk born).

My wife had this; she ran into the back of a van, without damaging her car, but the passenger (afterwards) put in a whiplash claim.

rockhopper70

Put it in a parent’s name and be a named driver? Might be worth going with a company that allows you to build up no claims when you are a second driver.

Obviously you need to be comfortable with putting someone else as the main insured party, or else you get into difficulty trying to explain to insurer why your Mum is the main insured, but never drives the car.

£5000 does sound a bit ridiculous though.

….does this and Insurers won’t pay out if there is an incident. Correctly termed subsequently as fronting. In our office it is classed as a fraud offence.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Taka Iam in a simular situation. Have you tried different cars? My current insurance (29, learner, reasonable postcode) on my car is £1560 (Mg ZR 105+ with modifications) If I were to change it to a BMW 316 worth £8000 I would pay £1000ish, were as a fiesta 1.4 worth £5k would cost £1400ish, a new Fiat Panda 100hp (£8.5k) £1100. It all seems inconsistent.

brad0612
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, got my Dad’s old ’97 Golf GTi to drive, 2000cc, Group 14 (old system), and haven’t had a quote less than £3000. I know it’s a high risk car, but I’ve been quoted the same for 1.0 Peugeot 106s and VW Polos as well.

Considering motorcycle now, as it’s cheaper until I can insure the Golf, and I’ve been watching Long Way Down! I just turned 18, about to pass test, but I’m not excited in any way because it’s just so damn expensive.

Sometimes being a student sucks, then I remember the bike in the shed 😀

allyharp

Jujuuk68 certainly knows his stuff, and the sorry situation we’re in is quite clear. But insurers often don’t help themselves – many of them sell accident details where a third party is at fault to claim management companies and law firms. Rather shortsighted, but the thought is that they’ll get stung anyway when everyone else does it so they might as well take some cash now to soften the blow.

I think the phone route may be the best option. Try brokers like Adrian Flux and Endsleigh. Or try and find out anyone who has Sabre on their underwriting panel as they seem keen to play in the shit that nobody else will touch (and were actually one of the most profitable insurance companies in 2009).

Another route might be to experiment with different cars. It may seem illogical but a bigger car might actually be cheaper since the 106 is quite a favourite with younger drivers. Or try something that’s deeply uncool – a cheap Daewoo, Kia or even a Honda Jazz perhaps?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance’ is closed to new replies.