Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car hit today, no damage but report or not?
  • cb

The other half had the wing mirror of her car struck this morning close to our kid’s school. She had only just got out and was 20 yards away with the nipper when the wing mirror was whacked. Enough force to completely twist it back (the wrong way if you like) and apparently enough noise to make everyone close by think it was a proper prang. The ‘lady’ driving braked afterwards and then just floored it right outside the school.

Now, the mirror is one of those electric folding types so not cheap to replace but it seems OK. Therefore the incident is minor in the whole scheme of things. However, the arrogance of this person has peed me off to say the least and the reg no was taken. Should we report it to the local plod or just leave it. Doing nowt is the easiest option but there is no way that this individual could think anything other than “I’ve just whacked that car”. She would have had no idea that no significant damage was done i.e. she caused an accident and legged it not caring who or what was damaged.

I am aware of the mountains and molehills concept but are there any grounds even (legally) for reporting this?

DezB
    Free Member

just floored it right outside the school.

If she did that, it’s worth plod going to have a word, I reckon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Report it. Two reasons – driving off after the accident and flooring it outside the school

Unless of course your wife was illegally parked / blocking the road

BigJohn

She probably knew that if she stopped she would fail a breathalyser…

tagger
    Free Member

Report it, these badstars think they can get away with murder. Don’t forget to mention how close she was, the reaction of the other people and the fact the other driver drove away rapidly all adding to the trauma which you might be able to claim on, that sounds like a potential disaster just waiting to happen.
    glad everyones ok.

bruneep

Report it
    Cost me over £200 to get mirror sorted on last car when someone did silmilar.

DezB
    Free Member

I detect a minor hint of sarcasm in tagger’s post… 😕

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’d report it, but then again I am incredibly vindictive towards people who try and get away with this kind of stuff. A bloke drove into my mom’s car whilst she was in the shop, and promptly buggered off, fortunately a witness saw the incident and took his reg.

My mom is letting it slide, because 48 years ago she took off someone’s wing mirror whilst she was learning to drive and promptly did a runner. She’s felt guilty about it ever since. As she should! 😛

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah I’d report it!! And I’d also report it if it wasn’t my car as I’m sick of getting little dings and knocks on my car when it’s parked up! Went to fill it up Sunday and some **** has either leant on or bumped the filler cap door and it now won’t open properly!!

tagger
    Free Member

I detect a minor hint of sarcasm in tagger’s post..

No mate, like wrightyson says I’m just sick of these gimps damaging my motor and getting away with it.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Assuming your good lady was not to blame….. Was there any witnesses? Worth reporting, but unlikely to have any consequences as there will be no proof of liability and as you say no damage. However it could still be viewed as failing to stop, so popping into local Police Office and reporting is a fair step.

DezB
    Free Member

No mate

…get away with murder… Ah, just a bit of exaggeration then 😉

druidh
    Free Member

She hit a car mirror?

That’s about the same height as a child face!!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah and someone also fell of my bike in bikes and scratched it! 😳

stayhigh

You could have someones eye out with that lol

Seriously though flooring it outside a school is not cool and neither is taking out a wing mirror.

Off to the copshop for you sir.

user-removed
    Free Member

Slight annoyance, driver is obviously a c0ck. No damage done – just one of those things. Forget about it IMHO.

cb

Duly reported. As no damage, they could not take it further from a Road Traffic Act perspective but did do a check on the plate. Registered to a local business – wouldn’t tell us which!! No outstanding matters of interest to the police.

They said they are happy to get calls like this and it was the right thing to do to report it. They also said her card was marked and if anything else like this happened, the failure to stop had been noted.

And of course “if we subsequently notice any damage then please do get back to us – here is the incident number”.

Thanks for the responses.

neninja
    Free Member

I watched a woman driver do this to someone’s car who lives round the corner a couple of months back. She was driving a new 11 plate car and knocked her own mirror off. She slowed down until she saw me at which point she sped off leaving her mirror in the road.

The parked car had a Hamsterley Trailblazers sticker in the back window so I reported her to the police and put a note on the windscreen with her reg details, make, colour of car etc and my phone number.

The owner of the parked car was very grateful. Hopefully she got the police knock on the door and will think about doing the right thing next time.

globalti
    Free Member

Police: They will have noted the report against that reg on the Police National Computer. If the car is seen by a patrol car equipped with ANPR she might get stopped for a chat and a “producer” if the officers are bored enough. Three reports will earn her a home visit.

Insurance: Do NOT tell your insurance company. Somebody who works for a motor insurer told me (off the record) never to report small incidents because you will be classified as what they call an “accident magnet”.

BoardinBob

Don’t report it if there’s no damage. It will count as an accident and impact your premiums (despite what the insurance company tell you). No point in doing that unless you need to claim to repair the damage.

Someone reversed into my car a few years ago. Minor cosmetic damage and I reported it. Had the reg number, description of the car and the driver. Police couldn’t do anything because the witness didn’t get the make and model of the car. The police traced the vehicle, spoke to the owner who denied it (he fitted the description, as did the car) but the police told me they could do nothing.

End result was I had to repair the damage myself and I now had an accident on my insurance record through no fault of my own.

jon1973
    Free Member

Unless of course your wife was illegally parked / blocking the road

Two wrongs don’t make a right. No excuse for hitting another vehicle and then driving off without checking to see if someone may have been injured.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car hit today, no damage but report or not?’ is closed to new replies.