Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car headlight bulb change (Skoda Octavia content)
  • simonjf63
    Free Member

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to changing the dipped headlight bulb on my 05 Octavia estate please? I'm going down to Halfords this evening to buy a new one and would rather not pay the £5.99 installation fee if I can help it (I know, tight-wad and all that)
    Cheers

cp

depending how complicated it is, 5.99 could be a bargain. I've heard of VAG group headlights requiring considerable disassembly just to access the bulb holder.

dunno about yours per se, but so long as the back of the headlight assembly is accessible, it usually just a case of removing the connector, twisting the holder or removing a spring clip, then the holder and bulb will drop out. install reverse of above.

don't touch the glass of the new bulb with you fingers.

hainey
    Free Member

If its anything like the passat you need the hands of a 5 year old and the patience of a saint. Or take the bumper off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RTFM!!!

robgarrioch

I've only got a Fabia estate, but they look similar. In my case, it's dead easy;
    – open bonnet, put bonnet stay in place ( 😉 )
    – 2 plastic clasps on top of light assembly – undo, remove back cover
    – push metal 'u-clip' lightly down, then back, swings free
    – remove old bulb; carefully replace with new bulb
    – reverse above actions.
    Takes about 3 minutes; infinitely easier with a head torch if too dark to see…

simonjf63
    Free Member

Ah, Mr Poddy, I think it's fair to say that if I had a manual I might have thought to read it.

robgarrioch, sounds like it's similar so I'll give it a go

Thanks everyone

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ah, Mr Poddy, I think it's fair to say that if I had a manual I might have thought to read it.

Allow me to Google it for you –

3rd hit
    http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/headlamp.htm

🙂

robgarrioch

simon – forgot to mention to also remove the minor electric block from the bulb connectors, but I'm sure you'd notice it!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

One of the easier ones – changed mine before Christmas and from what I remember its a matter of removing rubber boot unclipping the retaining spring trying not to let it come out of its retaining holes. Pull bulb from plug and reverse procedure (making sure you don't touch bulb putting it back in) Should take no more than five minutes

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ford mondeo Mk1 = Removing whole headlamp assembly.
    Im still amazed HOW difficult it is to do on some cars, the manuf dont seem to think about access to things like this.
    My old 8G Mitsu Galant was a complete PITA to change the n/s headlight bulbs, as right behind the headlamp was… the battery. Now where were my 5yo fingers then?

simonjf63
    Free Member

It's interesting – the more people tell me how easy it is, the more I begin to worry that I'm about to completely bo***ck up my car. And I'd love to get my 2yo to help but he'd probably eat the new bulb or something

doc_blues
    Free Member

theres a guide on Briskoda – keep a print out in my glove compartment as I seem to get through a passsenger side bulb every three months or so…

its a pain in the harris – watch when you slide the headlight assembly back in it sits on the runner things properly – otherwise you will end up like me with it stuck and taking a fair bit of force to get it out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car headlight bulb change (Skoda Octavia content)’ is closed to new replies.