Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Car headlamp bulbs, minefield!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So here’s me, a qualified (long since ex) motor mechanic who needs a headlamp bulb for a 2010 Mondeo. I’ve looked on Eurocarparts & there’s about 100,000 different choices! Now the lights I have are ‘acceptable’ but not great so should I upgrade to something a lot better?

I mean look at this lot…
    http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-bulb

When I werre a lad & fitting headlamp bulbs there were 3 types!

HELP!!

wwaswas

Take out the one you have and go to a decent motor factors.

plyphon
    Free Member

Ebay: Mondeo Headlight Bulb

?

CHB

If it’s an h7 you need then Osram nightbreaker on offer on Amazon are the way to go.

jam-bo

osram in whichever fitting you need.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take out the one you have and go to a decent motor factors.

Thanks, never thought of that until my memory said…

So here’s me, a qualified (long since ex) motor mechanic

And….

When I werre a lad & fitting headlamp bulbs there were 3 types!

Looks like it could be an Osram upgrade all round cos I’ve heard them mentioned 4 times now.

wwaswas

Halfords do some charts on their light display stand if you get really stuck.

Northwind

Maybe they’ve been surpasased now but I put Osram Nightbreakers in everything (*), they’re pretty much just like normal bulbs only better at everything- brighter without causing any negative issues, never heard of them overheating a stock headlight, and they last better too.

Also, Nightbreaker. Night. Breaker. When even your bulbs are this manly, you’ve basically won at driving.

(*except hids!)

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Osram not bad, but all these +60 / 80 / 100 bulbs trade a bit of extra light against lifespan. Smaller coils and more of them = less margin for heat degradation and vibration.

My old car was such a tw@ when it came to accessing the bulbs that I went back to standard ones and concentrated on making sure the lenses were well polished instead.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Philips extreme or nightbreakers

relliott6879
    Free Member

Another vote for Osram Nightbreakers, best I’ve used short of HIDs.

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for Osram Nightbreakers. I’ve had no problems with them as straight replacements. Give off a very white light compared to yellowy halogens. Much better visibility on unlit roads.

P20

I’ve used osram, Philips and ring. Osram are probably the brightest, ring are the best balance between power and lifespan in my experience

garage-dweller

Bosch Pure Light also worth a look nice balance of light and life and have the advantage of being in every halfords so you don’t end up with a car that’s not road worthy while you wait for the postie and if like me you work nearer a halfords than a mirror factors.

Had osram and philips bulbs too in the past.

Every branded headlight bulb I have had has beaten the store brands and service station offerings.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Another vote for Osram Nightbreaker. Put them in my last van, big improvement. Just about to order some for me new ones and OEMs will be my spares.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Car headlamp bulbs, minefield!’ is closed to new replies.