Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Car cooling fans and towing
  • Spud

Anyone up-rated their cars fan for towing? Had one fitted and dealer no saying the fan requires upgrading, more expense!

wwaswas

what car is it?

It used to be the case when cars had mechanical fans (ie on the end of the crankshaft) but with electric fans there’s normally enough airflow at low speeds to keep the engine cool.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont see why, most cars have electric cooling fans, so the additional loads created by towing will just mean the fan runs more often.

Spud

Current E Class estate, was being re coded this morning and was told MB recommend it done. Then the word warranty was used. It’s also mentioned that it might need doing in the online tech manual.

PePPeR

Depends on what you’re towing and the weather conditions you’ll encounter when towing.

My old Citroen BX, was upgraded to two fans due to the loads it placed up on the engine, but my current Kia Sedona doesn’t give two hoots and hardly ever comes on even when towing at its 2T max capacity, nearly 5T train weight!

Spud

I’ve emailed Merc’s tech department to ask, but I suspect it will need doing. The MB kit would be around £1500 inc fitting so suspect that would include a new fan.

cranberry
    Free Member

£1500 quid ??

I assume that includes a reach-around and a post bumming cuddle ?

I fitted a complete electric fan kit to my Defender and that was expensive at £140 + a little skin from my knuckles.

nickf
    Free Member

What engine for your E class? If one of the bigger engines, then unless you’re frequently towing in excess of 1000kg over the Stelvio Pass I can’t see it’s a problem.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Seems like a nice money earner for Merc. How on earth can they produce a car that needs an extra fan just to tow something, the phrase “not fit for purpose” springs to mind.
    Why dont you try towing something and see what happens to the engine temp? If it gets too warm then you know it needs extra help.

wwaswas

Why dont you try towing something and see what happens to the engine temp? If it gets too warm then you know it needs extra help.

problem is that the ECU will also record the temperature and if there’s any engine problem later on then Merc will duck out the warranty claim saying that the car didn’t have the right fan and overheated…

sharkbait
    Free Member

problem is that the ECU will also record the temperature and if there’s any engine problem later on then Merc will duck out the warranty claim saying that the car didn’t have the right fan and overheated…

But the ECU doesn’t know if there was something on the back when it overheated and it could have been in normal use.

Anyway, we’re not talking boiling the engine, just seeing if the temp gauge goes over the normal position.

Spud, what are you planning on towing?

I’ve emailed Merc’s tech department to ask

Hmm, I wonder what they’re going to say 😕

wwaswas

the ECU doesn’t know if there was something on the back when it overheated and it could have been in normal use

probably depends on the wiring – if it’s Can bus based then it might well detect additional bulbs/load etc and record when they’re connected.

nickf
    Free Member

But the ECU doesn’t know if there was something on the back when it overheated and it could have been in normal use.

I believe it does, actually. My LR certainly does.

tonyg2003

The ECU does know if you are towing since hooking up changes the stability programe too.

Spud what engine do you have in your E class and what are you expecting to tow? I can’t imagine mine with +400lb of torque overheating!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well a quick google shows that it seems a Merc can’t tow something without an uprated cooling fan which I find surprising nowadays. I still believe its a good excuse to rip more money out of you though.
    Defo not going to get a Merc now then…. not that I was anyway 😉

Spud

It’s the 250 CDI so 2143cc with 204bhp. Towing a 1500kg caravan, 79% of kerb weight. The issue is also the coding will know when it’s been towing etc as it is programmed to adjust the engine etc.

nickf
    Free Member

Put it this way: if you’ve got a cooling system designed to deal with you driving your two-tonne E class flat out on the motorway, then gentle pootling with a trailer will be fine.

Obviously if you’re planning on driving at 120mph+ up a long incline whilst towing the maxiumum load (in 45 Centigrade) you’d put some strain on the cooling system, but for all normal purposes you’ll be fine.

tonyg2003

Spud the E250cdi has 370lb of torque. That should be plenty enough for towing in the UK? It sounds like another MB means of extracting money from you.

Asking MB how much to fit a towbar in the first place was a “are you sitting comfortably moment”!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

The issue is also the coding will know when it’s been towing etc as it is programmed to adjust the engine etc.

Does it really? What if you put a bike rack [with lighting board] on the towbar? Does it adjust the engine then?
    What does the owner manual say regarding towing? If it says that you must upgrade the cooling system if you’re going to tow then maybe you should. But if it doesn’t then there’s jack that Merc could do even if it did overheat …. which it won’t.
    Did you buy the car knowing you were going to be pulling a caravan?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like they are taking the wee. My Passat doesn’t care if it’s towing. When it’s working hard doing 60mph there’s a 60mph wind going through the radiator which is obviously more than any fan can produce.

When you’re going slowly and there’s no airflow is when you need a fan, but that’s when the engine’s not working hard. Sounds like rubbish to me. Unless your car has a dodgy cooling setup somehow.

BUT

If it’s in the warranty I don’t see you’ve got much choice.

Hang on a minute though – isn’t yours an auto? Fluid based torque converter autos need extra cooling when towing since the oil’s part of the drivetrain and it gets hotter. However you’d expect a nice modern motor like that to have some kind of lock up…

Spud

Email back from Merc’s EU tech department and it does need uprating! FFS! It is an auto, yes, so I imagine there’s a good reason for it. Not worth stuffing up my warranty on a bloody expensive car. Grrr! This **** caravanning is expensive 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

This **** caravanning Merc is expensive

FTFY 🙂

First I’ve ever heard of a car needing a new fan…

tonyg2003

Hmmm £1500 – how many trips to a decent hotel does that buy?

Sell the carvan and don’t be a “shed puller” 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Email back from Merc’s EU tech department and it does need uprating! FFS!

Did you actually expect them to say something different? Once again, does it say anything about it in the towing section of the owners handbook?
    Maybe they put rubbish cooling fans on them when new to save money. Now if you’d bought an Volvo, Audi, etc you wouldn’t have this issue.
    I’d still try towing without the upgrade first – it’s not like you’re daft enought to actually let the car overheat.

molgrips
    Free Member

DO be a shed puller! Teach these Clarksonites how to relax on a road!

Spud

Thanks Mol! Yes it’s the car not van. What can I say, tech and manuals say it needs it. From my point of view I explicitly asked sales about towing. Queue snotty email to the dealership. I ain’t risking my warranty. Just grates. And for the record Audi state the same apparently.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah if the dealer didn’t tell you they are being.. well.. car dealers.. and hence gits 🙂

However the VW dealer did tell me not to have them fit the towbar cos it was £600 and could be had much cheaper elsewhere 🙂

Sinclair VW in Cardiff btw – good dealer.

takisawa2

We’ve towed our 1500kg Challenger with a 130hpTDCi Mondeo & 130hp TDi Galaxy, & I dont think I’ve ever heard the fan come on on either one of them. They are taking the piddle. Christ, you could buy a TDCi Mondeo for less than the cost of your cooling fan. 🙂

owenfackrell
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

Email back from Merc’s EU tech department and it does need uprating! FFS!

Did you actually expect them to say something different? Once again, does it say anything about it in the towing section of the owners handbook?
    Maybe they put rubbish cooling fans on them when new to save money. Now if you’d bought an Volvo, Audi, etc you wouldn’t have this issue.
    I’d still try towing without the upgrade first – it’s not like you’re daft enought to actually let the car overheat.

Thats not true. I have an xc90 and in the owners manual it states that if you are towing and have the 2.9 petrol then you need to fit an extra oil cooler for the transmission (which is what i expect the merc one is for).
    The extra cooling for when towing up long hills and the speed dropped but the engine is working hard, not htat we have many of these types in the uk. My manual also advise using the manual over ride when going down these hills to stop the brakes from over heating.

wwaswas

i agree with owenfracknell – I suspect the issue is with the auto gearboxes rather than engines themselves. You’re likely to be pushign a lot more torque through it at lower speeds when towing a ‘van.

RustyNissanPrairie

part of the cost will be for fitting/increasing the size of the autobox cooler, otherwise it’ll cook its atf/fancy techno wonder fluid.

Spud

Cheers for the helpful posts, I suspect they’re covering themselves. Parts said it was common on many MB models. Like it or lump it. Still not going to stop me sending an email to the dealership.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

A colleague of mine was told the same drivel by Audi, I regularly tow a Horsebox with my measly 128BHP 2009 Toyota Avensis estate loaded up with horsey stuff and people, never had a problem. If you had an issue with your car and they pulled out the ‘you’ve been towing’ trump card I’d happily have it out with them, just Germans wanting to protect their premium marque from niggles by over engineering a solution that isn’t needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds to me like it’s really transmission oil cooling, not engine cooling – different thing altogether.

You people are mostly talking about manual gearboxes, or gear driven autos like the DSG.

Best not call it drivel eh? 🙂

Spud

Just have to wait for the part now, bit of a bugger as collecting the caravan next Friday!

mybike
    Free Member

I’d be asking if they’ve sold me something which is ‘not fit for purpose’

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thats not true. I have an xc90 and in the owners manual it states that if you are towing and have the 2.9 petrol then you need to fit an extra oil cooler for the transmission (which is what i expect the merc one is for).

Really? 8O.
    I’d better get my manual out then as I’ve had my xc90 for 9 years and didn’t know that! I’d also bettr tell my mate who’s been towing his big caravan for the last 3 years with his XC90, and I know he hasn’t got an extra cooler either!
    In that case I take everything I said up there ^ back. 😳

RustyNissanPrairie

the xc90 especially with the 2.9 petrol has a really crap auto box made from cheese, it stopped me from buying one, even the AW box in the D5 isnt much better and again really suffers from overheating when towing and must be fitted with the bigger autobox cooler.

br
    Free Member

Adding additional cooling for the auto-box use to be the norm, but tbh I just assumed it had gone away…

FWIW my better half tows (box and 2 horses etc) with her auto Freelander, and that needed nothing doing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yep, molgrips has it. When towing Auto oil can get too hot, oil performance degrades and prematurely wears the clutch packs in torque converter autos.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Car cooling fans and towing’ is closed to new replies.