Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car Exhausts off eBay
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Need a new exhaust and after being quoted silly money at exhaust place (basically £100 labour for undoing one clamp and removing four rubbers)I want to fit it myself.
    Keep seeing exhausts for sale on ebay and want to know if they are any good? Has anyone else bought one off eBay and did it fit ok etc.

parkesie
    Free Member

Best going to local motor factors or europarts type place. Some ebay ones will be the same exhausts some better some worse.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

What is the feedback like of the seller? Does anyone mention the quality of the product?

Try your local motor factor too. Undoing the clamp can be tricky… sometimes…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sometimes it can be a mare but if you are a man you will own a grinder …. Ground mine off on the van and fitted an ebay strait through decat .

Seems to be fine so far but given my model van is notorious for rotting tailpipes ill happilly take 30 quid each year over 300 quid for a cat backpiece ( id already welded up the original 2 years ago…but the wasnt much to weld to to retain the cat)

Basically if the cars a workhorse then yeah why not get a pattern exhaust but if its a good car you want to keep good then get a decent exhaust fitted

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Trail-rat…..

OT but your van is a 1.9d NA right? Just wondering what difference your de-cat made?

Any probs at MOT time or performance issues?

I only ask as the exhaust on my berlingo van is starting to go (past starting really……) and It doesn’t look like its going to come off without a fight, so a grinder looks like a definate tool for the job!

Thanks,

A

craigxxl
    Free Member

Do you gave enough clearance under the car and axle stands to ensure you don’t get crushed. If you run into problems that £100 labour will be worth it. Also some of those cheap exhausts are very thin and won’t last long so make sure it’s a good brand or go to a motor factors to see the quality before buying

coffeeking
    Free Member

Local motor factors will be your best bet, they will have to honour the warranty so they tend not to sell things that are TOO bad, unlike ebay where you have to be wary as you’re probably not going to track them down and return a part that’s cheap and naff.

Well done for choosing to do it yourself, obviously basic safety required and a few cheap tools. A tube of exhaust paste (£3.50) can help if the parts are not quite matching perfectly and save you having to get under the car again for the sake of a little blow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sod all difference

And since its a derv no mot issues 😉

Exhaust paste it almost a certainty on clamp together exhausts. Fire cement works also 😉

Is it the part right behind the cat thats going ? Or the curve up to the back box – that went on me first but since it was just pipe i cut it back to good shit and welded in a new bit. But the cat left me nothing to weld into.

Got 60 quid back for the cat as well.

Craigxxl either you work for a garage or are hse …… But yes you are right in a way you do need to have the right tools. i had my van up on wheel ramps and the other wheels chocked for the job to get good working room. **** messing about with very tight stuck bolts on axel stands on a less than ideal gravel drive way

If you dont have tools then the 100 quid labours probably a good option.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t you have the equivalent of CRC for cars in the UK? We have sites such as Mister Auto which sell well-known brands at roughly half price compared with high street places and the same guarantee and returns system as CRC.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Sometimes wish I worked in a garage as enjoy getting my hands greasy. Unfortunately had previous experience of stuck bolts, limited access and needing a tool that i didn’t have with the frustration it brings. I have witnessed a lucky idiot drop his car on its hubs when he thought 2 scissor jacks would be better than axle stands, lucky because the car fell away from him.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Eurocarparts is my first port of call usually.

But the bit i wanted “decat” doesnt officially exist 😉

Taff
    Free Member

Euro car parts, GSF erc for parts otherwise a local motor factors. You tend to pay for what you get. My last exhaust was cheap but couldn’t get what I wanted and it’s showing already. As for fitting its so easy, just a 13mm spanner and some putty and jobs done.

Offroading
    Free Member

The labour charge can be a good deal in some cases. A good amount of aftermarket exhaust are complete crap and require some serious work to make them fit. It can be a struggle with the car on the ramp and access to a grinder/oxy heat i wouldn’t want to be doing it at home.

Edukator
    Free Member

Oh come now, how many STW posters don’t own an angle grinder and oxy-acetylene set? If it’s more than 10% then I’ve got completely the wrong idea about the sort of people who post on here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha i dont have a torch yet edukator but its on the list

My old land lords contract didnt allow me to have gas cylinders on site 🙁 kept most of my tool at my parents then though. They are handy though , even the heat from a plumbers torch helps no end !

Of course no need on my bikes just on the landy.

andrewh
    Free Member

I bought one off fleabay last year (can’t remeber the seller)
    Genuine part (with cat) £800!
    I paid £160.
    All good so far. Check it comes with gaskets though (mine did)
    And I have a selection of grinders but no torch.

bland

Its worth a good call around your local places, from £600+ for a golf rear end and CAt i got it fitted for £200 all in from a small place called Oldham Tyre and Exhaust who are locally reputed as CHEAP as hell (proper crusties work there buy who cares). Maybe call them for a quote and it will give you an idea of what is a cheap price to save you getting dirty. For comparison i could only buy the parts for £180 myself so fitting worked out at £20, not worth losing the skin on your knuckles for £20

unovolo
    Free Member

I have bought exhausts previously from here
    http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/__/79/exhausts/exhausts/exhaust-systems/

Never had a problem with them,my brother has had parts from them to again with no issues.

beefheart
    Free Member

I bought mine off ebay last year, and have no complaints. I just needed a couple of longer rubber hangers to make it fit with enough clearance below the rear axle.
    If you don’t already own an angle grinder, get one- it will make your life better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car Exhausts off eBay’ is closed to new replies.