Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Car damage in work car park
  • thecraw
    Free Member

Really annoyed tonight.

Got a new (to me) car a grand total of 10 days ago. It’s bodywork was in perfect nick. I’ve been over every inch of it. Shiney new car syndrome meant its been washed and waxed three times.

It’s parked overnight outside my house away from any other cars. We have allocated spaces at work, so park next to the same cars every day. The car has only been driven to and from work thus far.

So, pull up outside my exes to see the kids tonight and she points out a sodding ding in the door! It’s mega obvious, so must have happened today.

So, given that it could only have been caused by the woman who parks next to me (and worryingly will continue to do so), what do I do?

A polite email, asking for a bit more consideration, with a polite explanation of the above? Man up and STFU?
    There is cctv, but not sure if that bit is covered and I doubt the detail would be that good.

Grrr. I’d have put it down to bad luck, but I’m 100% sure it was her.

funkmasterp

Dent her car. Petty revenge!

johndoh
    Free Member

Kick her (car’s) back doors in.

angeldust
    Free Member

Grrr. I’d have put it down to bad luck, but I’m 100% sure it was her.

Bad luck buddy, it’s a bit grim when it happens to a pristine car, but based on what you have told us you can’t be 100% sure is was her. Not unless you ask, and she has the integrity to admit it (if she even noticed). Suck it up and call chips away?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hoof………..

You know the rest.

chewkw
    Free Member

I feel your pain …

Cost me £350 to fix my front mug guard (near the front light) the last time someone left a massive ding on my front right. 😡

p/s: If you can confirm it was done by the next driver at your work you just need to tell her about it … politely … tell her your pain cause that’s your new car … 🙁

thecraw
    Free Member

@angeldust it’s never been parked next to a single other car.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ask her nicely about it. If she gets arsey, it was probably her. Ask about CCTV footage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can say with conviction that your woman at work didn’t nip out for lunch and a workman’s auld transit didn’t use her space to go get his lunch and batter your door

I’m also humoured that only on Stw would the first instinct me to send an email to a possible perp rather than speak to her

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Be subtle.

Buy some small boat fenders and hang them along that side of the car in future.

thecraw
    Free Member

@trailrat I can say that with conviction. Oil company Nazi parking rules and about a gazzillion visitor spaces closer to the door.

trail_rat
    Free Member

In which case get the CCTV first. .. then confront her watch her lie then inform her you have footage of her.

Mate did this when a cars recovery truck reversed into his range rover in another oil Nazi car park.

Having confronted anyone driving a blue car with any sort of mark on it.

Looked like a eejit once he got the footage 🙂

CountZero

There might well be a matching mark on her door edge that corresponds, and paint transfer as well.
    Check CCTV, if she did it hard enough to make a significant dent, your car may have wobbled a bit and shown up on camera.
    One of the team I work with was inspecting a car prior to taking it away to be delivered elsewhere, this was at one of the hubs where cars get transferred between areas, and while he was doing the final checks before getting it signed off, a transporter driver reversed a car off of his trailer straight into the one that was about to be taken by my team-mate.
    That didn’t go down well…

ctk
    Free Member

Paint damage? Should be an easy fix if not.

thegreatape
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    I feel your pain …

Cost me £350 to fix my front mug guard (near the front light) the last time someone left a massive ding on my front right.

p/s: If you can confirm it was done by the next driver at your work you just need to tell her about it … politely … tell her your pain cause that’s your new car …

Ah, fgkdjdu jfjfjdj hdjdiwtfb 48#-$74 fjdjfj84747 fnfjrjd goose fjfjfjfjd goose irons7776 goose 😆

And then fjfjduch7585)$$ goose fjcyebfnfu golden egg 857473$&) 😆

Hdhdhhdh747))73737 goose cjfjjdjduyyrfb gander 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

You missed out the bit about zombie maggots

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah crap, so I did.

Ghhhdhebuf8$)$74$&# zomgdjdjudncjdhfbie @+#+4748$-$74)8 Margate ducks fkfjfjfjg 😆

mattyfez

Well first things first, get the cctv before its erased. No harm in looking at it, it might show something.

juanghia
    Free Member

Well first things first, get the cctv before its erased. No harm in looking at it, it might show something.

For a dent in a car? Get a life!

nealglover
    Free Member

Yawn. 🙄

project
    Free Member

Some people just open doors regardless whos parked next to them, its a fact of life nowadays, damage to your vehicle can have happened anywhere and by anyone, its a fact of life nowadays.

Thats what insurance is for.Stuff happens.

angeldust
    Free Member

@angeldust it’s never been parked next to a single other car.

During the day she moves her car to go to lunch, and someone else nips in for 5 minutes. They could have done the damage. Can you be 100% sure this did not happen? I’m sure it’s highly unlikely, but worth bearing in mind before you go blaming anyone. Just saying. Could the kid next door have thrown something across the fence causing the damage etc etc.

Edit: I see Trailrat had the same chain of thought.

chewkw
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    Ah, fgkdjdu jfjfjdj hdjdiwtfb 48#-$74 fjdjfj84747 fnfjrjd goose fjfjfjfjd goose irons7776 goose
    And then fjfjduch7585)$$ goose fjcyebfnfu golden egg 857473$&)
    Hdhdhhdh747))73737 goose cjfjjdjduyyrfb gander

That’s good that. Really cheer me up with that response (honest). 😆

thegreatape – Member
    Ah crap, so I did.

Getting better. :mrgreen:

trail_rat – Member
    You missed out the bit about zombie maggots

That’s very good too. 😛

I suspect mine was damaged by the local contractors who were driving carelessly because they were doing some repair nearby …

angeldust
    Free Member

Yawn.

+1. Not okay to ignore someone damaging someone elses property, just because you don’t think it’s important. Or does only your opinion matter?

teasel
    Free Member

Buy some small boat fenders and hang them along that side of the car in future.

One of my partner’s work colleagues carries a bit of pipe lagging wrapped over a bit of string and hangs it over his window to stop an ignorant shit from daily doing exactly the same thing as in the OP.

Personally I’d polish out the dent with her **** ignorant face…

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I get p*ssed when stuff like happens. Constantly give my kids a heads up to be careful etc etc, and like you polish regularly etc.
    I got cross at something silly last week, open palm slapped the top door/roofline of the car in frustration and viola.. self inflicted new dent! 👿

A friend parks his car next to his wife’s SUV and she continuously opens her door into the side of his to get the kids out. Surely once is enough to figure it out but he has a line of 20 odd dents down the side of his from the same thing. She kindly threw a couple into my van when he had it parked at his.
    Sadly some people give much less of a sh*t then others.

FuzzyWuzzy

I def check the CCTV, even if poor quality you should be able to tell from how wide and fast her door opens. If it’s not covered by CCTV I guess there’s not a whole lot you can do, not sure I’d confront someone where I worked unless I was 100% sure (and it would be a confrontation, if you have to ask rather than them tell you they’ve been a c**t twice and will know it so are never going to fess up if you just ask nicely if they accidentally dinged your door).

Marge
    Free Member

had the same thing last week 🙁

difference is, mine is a company car but if it wasn’t I’d certainly be following up.
    If it’s left a mark she’ll absolutely have known she hit it but basically doesn’t GAS about your property…

olly2097
    Free Member

Things like this do matter to some people.

If your car isnt on a lease or you dont have lots of money:

my car has lost resale value. It has been crashed into three times at work (NHS car park, no CCTV) Had the rear bumper resprayed and filled for 350 quid to have it destroyed again a year later. Had the front wing bent in badly and alloy wheel scuffed to hell on its face. I’ve given up.

When I come to sell thats money I’ve lost.

mike399
    Free Member

Did you have the same problem with your last car?
    What sort of character is she? Has she got ‘issues’? could it be have been done intentionally out of jelousy for your nice new very well polished car?…
    Is she called Louise?

mattyfez

Thats what insurance is for.

Indeed, the third parties insurance if you can identify who it was.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I think you should. It’s not acceptable to damage someone else’s property. If you don’t care about your own car then fair enough – but that doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same way.

milky1980
    Free Member

To add a bit of positivity to this, one of the neighbours on my estate accidentally kicked their football into the side of my car a few months back. Came from high up, covered in mud so when it hit it scratched a load of fine streaks vertically down the door! I spotted it next time I went to use the car (same as you, keep it clean, polished and it rarely moves during the week), cue me cursing and muttering under my breath! The next week I see my neighbour and his boy in the car park. I had no idea who had done the damage so was a bit surprised when his boy came wandering over to say sorry! He offered to pay for it out of his pocket money! Had a little chat about it with him and got the full facts, the ball had ricocheted off a post in their garden, not while playing in the street. I told him I’d get it looked at and we’d discuss it afterwards. Got the scratches out with some T-Cut and a few extra coats of polish so we came the the agreement he would pay me for a new bottle of T-Cut, £7.99. His dad said that was nearly 2 weeks’ pocket money (kid is 10) and that he used that to go to footie training, think he was using it as a life lesson for the kid. I told the kid he could pay me back over a few weeks if he wanted, save him missing his sport. 3 weeks later he came running over to me with £8 and a packet on Maltesers, he’d been doing extra chores to earn it 😀

Not everyone in this world is careless and thoughtless about other people’s property, have a chat with her first.

teasel
    Free Member

Here’s two vids from my dashcam from a few days ago. I thought I saw it happening whilst in the waiting room but couldn’t be sure. When I came out the damage was so severe I assumed it had happened previous to this battering. It wasn’t until I watched back that it became obvious it was all done by this sweet little old lady.

Jump to the second vid if you want to see just the damage (not that you can see in any detail) or watch both to see her Colombo like antics (hands in coat pockets helps you think, right) as she tries to work out how to get out of the mess…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yUlfptWBk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2pLBgSVixo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

If it was me I’d be really pissed off finding my car in that state. I doubt the police would be interested in doing anything about this incident, though.

RDL-82
    Free Member

…my car has lost resale value. It has been crashed into three times at work (NHS car park, no CCTV) Had the rear bumper resprayed and filled for 350 quid to have it destroyed again a year later. Had the front wing bent in badly and alloy wheel scuffed to hell on its face. I’ve given up.

When I come to sell thats money I’ve lost.

Same boat. Have give up for now. Will sort when I come to change.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Send a group email out to all colleagues asking if anyone saw anything then assess how people react following it.

Coyote
    Free Member

Did you make the dashcam footage available to the owner of the damaged car?

teasel
    Free Member

I informed the surgery and left a phone number.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Car damage in work car park’ is closed to new replies.