• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car Crash Britain – Anybody else watching?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or just me?

Not quite sure whether to laugh or cry. That girl that overtook on the wrong side of quite a few islands and hit the 75 year old crossing what he thought was a clear road. Jaysus!! 😯

Lifer
    Free Member

Jeez that one with the biker, how can you leave someone like that?

EDIT – COMMUNITY FREAKING SERVICE? WTF? Definitely cry.

fin25
    Free Member

Genuinely insane that you can do that and pretty much get away with it…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The girl who hit the 75 year old and drove off – also community service, suspended sentence and a 2 year ban. Yeah, crying a bit.

fin25
    Free Member

Don’t know why I watch this stuff, making me proper angry 👿

butcher

The girl who hit the 75 year old and drove off – also community service, suspended sentence and a 2 year ban. Yeah, crying a bit.

Never watched it, but was that the one where she only stopped because she was chased down by the car following (who was also filming), and completely denied any knowledge of a man bouncing off her windscreen..?

Community service for that is nuts.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s exactly (I reckon) the one butcher.

cheers_drive

Some terrifying driving in that program. It didn’t mention any driving band in the sentencing but I suspect each offender only got a couple of points as being able to drive is essential to their life. Prison is not necessarily the answer to stupid driving but lengthy or life bans should at least be given.

footflaps

We do seem to be getting close to having an implicit ‘right’ to drive. Go back 20 years and cars were definite luxury items and people lived near where they worked.

crazy-legs

Those kind of programmes make me so angry. You look at the expensive police resources that deal with the cases on TV like fast response cars & helicopters to pull over a speeding/uninsured/drunk/disqualified driver and all the other resources put into clearing up the mess they’ve left behind then at the end the voice over says “this driver was given 3 penalty points and a £50 fine”.

Excellent. That’ll definitely teach them a lesson won’t it… 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

Hit and run – lose your right to drive
    Death by dangerous driving – lose your right to drive

For starters.

imHo

somafunk

If you want to kill someone and get away with it then don’t bother with covering your arse by getting all CSI, just hit them with a car and say sorry.

footflaps

If you want to kill someone and get away with it then don’t bother with covering your arse by getting all CSI, just hit them with a car and say sorry. I need my car to get to work

They’ll just fine you £30….

jam-bo

75% reduction in traffic police in devon over the last 5 years. It shows on the roads, other than a few mobile cameras which only pick up the unobservant speeders you can largely rely on doing what you like.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Look, I realise it’s a bit of an ITV series, and the fillers they do, like say, the guy in the truck giving us a running commentary of everything wrong on the road are a bit tiresome. But hey, what one of us hasn’t being JDA and seen somebody do something really stupid and given a running commentary along the lines of “WTF are you doing pal? Jeeeezus, you haven’t just done that have you? Whooooaaaaaa….**** hell, who gave you a license?”

I’ve been shopping for dashcams today…everyone I know who has one (not many tbf) only has one after an accident in which they got screwed for something that wasn’t their fault. I wonder if it’d be better to close the barn door before the horse bolts.

stumpy01

Driving home last night and there were two electrical contractor vans from the same firm (AP Freeman Electrical Contractors, who look like they are based in Wisbech).
    They were clearly goading each other, with the van in front brake testing the other one frequently, while the van behind got closer and close to the one in front.
    They both ended up in the outside lane with the van in front speeding up and dramatically slowing down. The van behind would pull over to the inside and fake an undertake, with the van in front then cutting in front of it. Then the van behind would pull out to overtake and the van in front would veer out and get in it’s way.
    At one point, the van in front was veering across both lanes in a blocking motion.

Might give the firm a ring this morning and mention that this is going on with their fully branded up vans.

I recorded this program, but not sure I want to watch it.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Not allowed to watch these types of programme. My wife (rightly so) says they just wind me up and make me unbearable. Probably all due to having a traffic copper for a father.

Also one of the reasons that I choose to commute on the bike on reasonably traffic free routes. There are too many asshats out there who don’t consider others safety, just their need to get to their destination 10 seconds quicker.
    Just started attaching the GoPro to my helmet incase anything happens.

There, see, I’m now wound up…………Grrrrrr! 👿
    😀

cheers_drive

Mrs CD wanted to watch the program – she is obsessed by any program to do with the police or crime, I don’t think she saw enough of it growing up in Jutland – I’m just glad that there weren’t many cycling related incidents as I don’t need here worrying any more than she already does.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Things you wish a judge could say…

‘Oh, so the car is essential for you job?. Right, we’ll double the ban, and allow you to drive to and from work, plus any work-related travel. Your employer will be involved in this and will carry responsibility, eg for documentation of late working and a record of your work travel. Satnav and a written daily log is implicit. And the cops will have your number in their ANPR system. Outside of that you can take a taxi. Getting it wrong, just the once, leads to an immediate and total ban for the remainer of the longer term’

bobfleming

Yes some scary stuff!!
    Makes you really think about getting Go Pro especially all those crash for cash incidents!

Ronnie the trucker was ace though! what a boy!

D0NK

Things you wish a judge could say…

‘Oh, so the car is essential for you job? Sucks to be you, banned!

Didn’t watch last night – watched the much more entertaining secret life of 4 year old – did see last week (against my better judgement) and it was depressing. Getting away with it is right, some people say but they got suspended sentence/community service/3points/whatever. Bollocks! They did something monumentally stupid and they are still driving now (or will be again very very soon).

Long term bans should be used a lot more than they are, automatic short term bans* for lots of stuff (eg 2 weeks for RLJ/speed camera) and lifetime bans should be a serous consideration for the epic bellendery displayed in some of those vids. “but I need my licence for my job” jog on, you knew that before you acted like a ****wit, you’re at fault, you deal with it.

*should work on several levels:
    Lots of people seem more scared of losing their licence than fines and such
    Might also help people see that 2 weeks of public transport or cycling isn’t as bad as they thought so consider it in future
    Maybe even highlight to them how little respect drivers give to none-drivers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car Crash Britain – Anybody else watching?’ is closed to new replies.