Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Car buying financial perspective required please!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So, mini RRR undoubtedly will force our changing cars at some point in the near future it seems.

The problem I’m having is getting perspective on what’s a reasonable amount to spend per month on a lease / HP / Loan as a percentage of our joint income.

We don’t do that many miles – maybe only 70 a week plus a once a month long run of a 100/200.

As such we probably don’t need a shiny new car on lease etc but I’m very tempted by work’s lease deals that include all maintenance, tyres, MOT, tax and insurance for both of us! I’m being drawn into the shiny shiny want want mindset :-/

legend
    Free Member

Was there a question in there somewhere?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yep! What’s a reasonable amount percentage wise (of income) to splurge on a car? There must be some sort of “rule” or something?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

First up assuming you owe nothing on the current motor , Start now sticking your anticipated finance payment away now…. See if you can actualy live without the extra money ( ie afford it without it being a millstone round your neck )

Then realise that you dont “need” the sports model – many on here will tel you the “vrs/cupra/turbo” is the only model of x car to have – its not cost , fuel , insurance and repairs will be less on the lower models.

Are there any tax drawbacks on your works leases ?

I recently went through this with wanting a bigger van (had to change car anyway) , went round the doors testing cars and realised that it was not a necessity and that for all the miles we do and types of road we drive a 10year old berlingo was still the smart money.- 1/4 the price of a deposit on a big van without the 250 payment everymonth for the next 4 years.

Im stil at the stage where id rather stick that into my mortgage than drive a new car.

How ever i do think that will change if little t-r ever comes along. Cant imagine mrs t-r being chuffed if ours bangers broke down and she was with kid…..although i do my own maintainance and bar the odd failed battery fingers crossed we have been fairly good for keeping on top of imminant failures.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good advice from Trail Rat there – but why not put the monthly payment away for a while, then see what your savings would buy you outright?

Something like a five or six-year-old Ford would be pleasant, reliable and economical to run.

No need to keep up with the Joneses when you can drag the neighbourhood down instead.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well my current car is on HP but at mid term so I can hand it back without penalty. I can get many decent cars on the work lease deal for what I’m paying now in total for HP/Insurance/maintenance but obviously I won’t own it (although there is an option to buy after 3 yrs).

I could for example get a passant or mondeo for £350 a month all in which seems a bargain given my insurance alone is £75 a month at the moment. I am also considering the banger route (although it means I’ll cry when returning my current 6yr old car) but like you say reliability is quite important with sproglet on board!

AlasdairMc

Spend what you can afford to and what you reasonably want to. There’s no right or wrong answer. My wife and I pool our car allowances for something nice, but something cheap would do 80% of what we have but be less fun to drive. If your priority is a cheap car with no hassle, go for a lease or PCP as you’ll keep it only as long as the warrant lasts. If money is more of a concern, go for a car that’s just come out of a PCP as there is a lot of stock of three year old cars that get handed back to be replaced with new.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha chapaking do you know me ?

– the guy with the collection of old van based vehicles or as im known on the street…. The guy with half a land rover in his drive.

Dragging the neighbourhood down since 2012 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. But as I’m currently paying HP and we only have the one car I don’t have the luxury of just saving some pennies (which arguably would be a sensible idea) hmmm

sandwicheater

As a rule in our house, have a think/decide what you can afford, then half it. Oh, and get a red one. No, a blue one.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. Im suffering “requirements creep” in that a normal family car is reasonable but there are some shiny mercs/Bimmers for not a whole lot more. I’ve just lost track of what’s sensible to spend tbh!

trail_rat
    Free Member

What are you driving thats 900 a year to insure ? Assuming your older than 25 of course.

Our total insurance bill isnt that on a car and a van with mrs t-r having a currently at fault claim on here record and zero ncb . Age 28

350 quid a month is alot of money to rent a mondeo.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ 3 series coupe but have been driving for only 2 yes

The lease schemes require no deposit I should add

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha chapaking do you know me ?

I was thinking of my own front drive tbh, everyone else in the road seems to have BMWs, Jags and Mercs, we’ve got a Fiesta and a van.

TooTall
    Free Member

Your mileage is very low. That means your insurance could be on a declared mileage and that could help keep the premium down. That low mileage also keeps the maintenance down – less wear and tear etc.

350 a month could be worth it if you were doing lots of miles. Do you need more than a Mondeo estate with 40k on the clock? Do some proper sums rather than getting drawn into shiny shiny. Kids cost more than cars.

Just seen you drive a 3 series with only 2 years of driving.

You’re a dad. Hand the shiny toys back and stop thinking like a teenager. Cars like that are not a status symbol with a kid seat in the back and jammy smears on the window. Also – do some proper car ownership sums rather than accepting the ‘all in’ HP price from work.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ hmm current car isn’t a status symbol, I just like it! Tbh when I got the car I was doing quite a lot more miles hence that helped to justify it!

I guess we probably don’t need anything more than an 8yr old focus but I’m not sure at what point cheap becomes too cheap.

TooTall
    Free Member

I was doing quite a lot more miles hence that helped to justify it!

There isn’t a mileage that means ‘3 series coupe’.

Most modern cars will comfortably do 100k miles. If you bought a Focus with 40k on the clock, it would take you 10 years to take it to 100k and it wouldn’t cost that much in maintenance over that time.

ninfan
    Free Member

I sat down last year and looked at how much I spent, on a monthly basis, on depreciation and maintenance fixing, taxing, rac’ing and MOT’ing ‘average’ age cars (5-10 year old) over the past few years

truth was, it actually tipped me into the balance of buying a brand new car, for about thirty quid a month more I’ve now got five years (ie. warranty) of not worrying about breaking down or unexpected bills, totally worth it for the reduced stress levels in my house.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

TooTall – nope, the milage justified the newish car aspect. The lack of sprog at the time helped justify the coupe bit! 😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ninfan – this is why the work lease is tempting as it’s 3 yrs of no stress followed by the option to buy a well maintained car that I know the history of, at a reasonable price (apparently)..

ninfan
    Free Member

the stress of worrying about denting/scratching/mileage would do my head in.

Look at it this way – you can buy a brand new Fabia estate or Roomster for a little over 10k including the 5 year warranty, thats works out (if you finance it yourself) £170 quid a month plus about £15 a month fully covers servicing and tyres etc. contract, – may not be fancy but it does the job perfectly, and you own the car at the end of it

of course, if you’re more worried about status symbols and making your willy look big, you can always spend a lot more money or have a bigger car – but you’ve got a kid now, you’ve proved that works 😀

a bit depends on your age and how much insurance costs you of course, I’ll admit that could make an inclusive lease attractive (would you still develop no claims for the future that way?)

tron
    Free Member

£350 a month seems like a hell of a lot of money to drive a Mondeo or Passat estate to me! £4.2k a year.

You should be able to pick up a sensible petrol car for £2-3k and put aside £500 a year if you know a bit about cars. If you get an old diesel, put away a grand as a float on top of that for when the clutch and flywheel goes.

Often the fastest model you can get is the cheapest to run as a second hand car. The bits can be more expensive if they’re dramatically different to the standard car (ie, BMW M cars), but often the fastest model is just a common engine from a bigger model or the turbo boost cranked up a bit. The good thing is that the faster and more desirable models in the range really hang onto their value, so if you go out and buy something like a MK5 or 6 Golf GTI now, in a few years it’ll still be a GTI and you can flog it on as a low mileage car…

I’m not saying that you can get a nice Golf GTI for £3k though. Unless you want a MK2! £3K will easily get you a SAAB Aero estate or a 3 series estate.

ampthill

Very interesting

makes me feel better about life

I thought my Scenic had been a total Lemon (it has)

cost £6500

3 years insurance £750

But we have spent a fortune on it. New turbo and exhaust gas thing. Water pump and cam belt. Those 3 alone were over £2000

Maybe another £1000 on servicing

But we’ve done £50,000 miles and the total is still less than 36 x £350

So if blows up tomorrow we are just behind you

But if its still running in 3 years then my cost per year could be way lower

So I think a used smaller car would have to be alot less over 3 years

steveh

ampthill you’ve not allowed for depreciation in your numbers there….

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Buy a £1-1.5k car that doesn’t depreciate (i.e. about 12 years old). Older cars’ lower MPG doesn’t matter so much with low mileage.

Get Autoaid breakdown cover at about £35 a year for both of you.
    Car breaks down, you/wife/kid get home. New cars break down too.

Even if the car had a catastrophic engine failure and wasn’t worth fixing, you could buy 3 in a year and still come out ahead £££s wise. Smaller repairs will be cheaper – scrappies or eBay for parts.

ampthill

Steve I have. I assumed my car is now worth nothing

bamboo
    Free Member

Just going through this myself. Part of me wants to run a banger for the cost, part of me wants to have a modern car for piece of mind.

I just checked how much a rental car would cost in the event of a banger breaking down, you can get a basic car hire for £90 a week. Add in an autoaid assistance package for £40, and that is a cheap way to get piece of mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What is the depreciation on a 350 quid a month lease car ?

Well its 350 x number of months owner + damage repairs.- its pretty hard not to come out on top when your playing against that as long as your not trying to play flash/fast car willie waving. They all go the same speed stuck in the traffic 😉

When was the last time folks had a complete failure of the car that made it undrivable ?

My last car even drove back to my mates garage in convoy with one wheel pointing to the shops and te other coming back with the change…….it had been rammed into a bus.

How ever if your idea of car maintainance is putting fuel in and turning the radio up ( like my mrs) then i dont suggest bangernomics.

richmars

Im stil at the stage where id rather stick that into my mortgage than drive a new car.

Instead of looking at what car you can afford, work out how much sooner you’ll own your house (assuming you’ve got a mortgage) if you just got a cheap 2nd hand car and pay off an extra £100-£200 a month. Mortgage rates will never be this low for a long time (I think).

aracer
    Free Member

I sat down last year and looked at how much I spent, on a monthly basis, on depreciation and maintenance fixing, taxing, rac’ing and MOT’ing ‘average’ age cars (5-10 year old) over the past few years

truth was, it actually tipped me into the balance of buying a brand new car, for about thirty quid a month more

Really? I’d love to see the figures which show that, given the new cars you mention are costing you well over £100 a month in depreciation.

I’m still amazed how much money people are willing to piss away on a box to transport them around which isn’t actually all that exciting to use, given all the other things you could be spending a thousand or two a year on. Including purchase cost and replacing the DMF I’ve spent far less over the last two years in owning my car than two years of the lease RRR mentions (that’s all in, including servicing, MOT etc.) and I still own a 6yo Mondeo.

kcal

I’m well past the age and years that require a new sport GTI model — many years past that, had what seemed like the oldest car in town let alone street for ages… mileage around 6k / year which helps..

Even now have something for under £10k, hopefully low maintenance usually, happy position of buying outright and low insurance as well – NFU Mutual… the HP / lease deals tip you towards buying something fancier IMO and also load it up so that they assume you’ll trash it in the 3/4 year run of the plan..

ninfan
    Free Member

given the new cars you mention are costing you well over £100 a month in depreciation.

Yeah, but all the second hand cars I’d had showed a not dissimilar similar figure when you added up depreciation, repairs, RAC membership, servicing, MOT’s, fuel economy, etc.

I’d not had a car that cost me less than a grand a year with everything taken into account properly, and a couple that were a lot more.

ninfan
    Free Member

just to add having had a quick look – over the years an abs ring here, a DMF there, a seized brake caliper somewhere else, a new battery, a slave clutch cylinder somewhere down the line etc… all ads up!

aracer
    Free Member

It does, but depreciation on a new car still dwarfs that, and you still have to pay for servicing on a new car (not cheap if you want to keep the warranty – servicing is actually rather cheaper on something older). Maybe you’ve just been unlucky though, as I don’t think I’ve ever spent huge amounts on repairing older cars.

ampthill

I’d love to see the figures showing that the new car cost less as i reall don’t believe it

A quick look at the per mile cost at the back of a car mag will give you a hint

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well if you can currently afford to spend £350 per month, then why not spend that much again?

A cheap car isn’t going to be as safe or nice compared to a £350 per month car.

I went from a £4k paid for 54 plate Mondeo to a brand new BMW 320d touring on lease for £340 all in.

Not once have I regretted the decision, as I can afford £340 per month. The cars themselves do not even compare.

There is no % of income that says what you can afford. Some people like to spend 0% of total income, others happy to spend over 50%.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A cheap car isn’t going to be as safe”

Interesting assumption , but if that how you talked your self into a new car fair enough.

Im not sure the sums would add up if you have to use a garage for every little thing needing doing.

Mines goes in for timing belt and clutches , almost everything else i do at home.

Home service is 40 quid for my car using premium filters and oil.

My colleague stuck his 02 325 coupe in to the garage for a service and was lightened 180 quid- fluids filters and labour.

project
    Free Member

So, mini RRR undoubtedly will force our changing cars at some point in the near future it seems

What ever you do dont ask advice about purchashing a Evoque.

As for lease cars theyre only yours for as long as you have a job with the company, loose the job via redundancy or sack and youve lost the car,perks like that may also be withdrawn at any time if you look at the terms of the lease.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member
    Well my current car is on HP but at mid term so I can hand it back without penalty. I can get many decent cars on the work lease deal for what I’m paying now in total for HP/Insurance/maintenance but obviously I won’t own it (although there is an option to buy after 3 yrs).

I could for example get a passant or mondeo for £350 a month all in which seems a bargain given my insurance alone is £75 a month at the moment. I am also considering the banger route (although it means I’ll cry when returning my current 6yr old car) but like you say reliability is quite important with sproglet on board!

As your insurance is so high @ £900 a year, £350 a month for a passat/mondeo is absolute robbery! 😯 If I was in this position i’d simply buy an 2004-2007 mondeo with that £4200 you’d spend in the first year alone. Then enyoy having £350 in my bank every month in years 2 onwards!

I recently got very tempted by something shiny, lots of choice around £12,000, thought I could stick it on the 0% credit card (and play the balance transfer tart game) or low interest loan and it would have cost me about £200-£220 a month for 5 years.

I looked at the fact my current £5k 2004 car is paid off, passes its MOTS, good on fuel, and decided the £200 a month would be better invested in paying the mortgage off, doing up the house etc Stuff that I can really appriciate long term as opposed to a shiny “keep up with the jones” mantlepiece on the kerb outside.

Also current car doesnt leave me distraught if I find a new stone chip or scratch, were I paying £200 a month for a car, let alone £350 i’d be devastated if some loon clipped it or dented the door in carpark.

So in summary the most i’d want to spend a month on a car is around £100 tops, which is how I bought my current car, on 0% credit card offers. £4200 a year is simply insane.

JulianA
    Free Member

Do you have any savings?

If you do then a £3K – £4K six or seven year old car would be pretty safe and reliable and you’ll have no outgoings on it. It would be all yours with no worries about redundancy etc and you’d only have to service it and put fuel into it.

I have a ten year old car and MrsJulianA has a thirteen year old car and we have no worries about safety or reliability. The older one has a few niggles but nothing that £200 wouldn’t put right (one door lock that doesn’t participate in the central locking).

Audi A4 and Skoda Octavia respectively. Other makes are available, apparently!

Sorry if I’ve misread the original post and not answered appropriately.

Edit: £350 per month? Covers my petrol bill for 1200 miles to work per month in a 3.0 litre, so you should be quids in!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Car buying financial perspective required please!’ is closed to new replies.